8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2017 7:07 PM by Rick McDonald

Making thread using Hole Wizard

Maha Nadarasa

When making a thread using Hole Wizard this message box pop-ups. I understand from this message that if you are making a thread for production sweep cut is the must.

2017-12-14_10-46-57.png 

• Re: Making thread using Hole Wizard
          Kevin Pymm

Maha,

This just means that you can't rely on the thread cutting profiles to be exactly correct to match up with industry standard threads, in the same way that you can't rely on the gear tooth patterns being correct to run properly. They just give a pretty good representation & if you want them accurate, will have to create your own.

J. Mather

Maha Nadarasa wrote:

...I understand from this message that if you are making a thread for production sweep cut is the must.

This is incorrect understanding.

In general, you should almost never model the sweep cut thread  (or use this Thread tool) unless you are 3D printing or making a very large size thread.

The warning is for you to specify the thread specification and class of fit on your drawing and then the person manufacturing the thread should follow your specification.

Part of the reason for emphasizing thread modeling in school, is not that is how it should be done in the real world, but rather, to help the student learn thread nomenclature in a virtual world so that they know how to specify the thread in the real world.

Maha Nadarasa

J. Mather wrote:

In general, you should almost never model the sweep cut thread (or use this Thread tool)

Then in general how do you model small thread?

Anna Wood

Maha Nadarasa wrote:

J. Mather wrote:

In general, you should almost never model the sweep cut thread (or use this Thread tool)

Then in general how do you model small thread?

You don't, unless you plan to 3D print.  And I would not 3D print a small thread, I would cut the thread into the part with a tap/die, or more likely add threaded inserts or a stud.

Just use cosmetic threads.

Or are you wanting looks good enough threads for photo-realistic rendering?  Close is good enough for rendering threads.

Dan Pihlaja

Threads are a major safety item in most situations.  If a thread fails because of the standard model that Solidworks put in, then Solidworks could potentially be liable (in this lawsuit-happy country). 

There are so many different variations on threads and requirements on threads, based on material, pre-load, load, tightening torque, temperature, vibration, thread size, etc....  Too many variables to be able to use a "canned" thread for all applications.  Each application will be unique

Even on my Holo-Krome Screw selector, there are warnings:

Rick McDonald

Also, if you use swept cuts for all your threads your drawing will become huge in size and be slow to open or work on.

Additionally, you won't see much of the detail anyway unless you are making detail cutaway views that are shown in much larger view size.

In that case you could do a swept cut on one hole for viewing and leave all the rest as cosmetic or just the hidden thread outline.

Christian Chu

1-5N2K8J6 wrote:

When making a thread using Hole Wizard this message box pop-ups. I understand from this message that if you are making a thread for production sweep cut is the must.

2017-12-14_10-46-57.png

In reality, the guys on the shop floor look the size of the thread from 2D dwg and cut it. I don't think any of them trying to match the cut with the 3D model.

Why bothers to show the swept cut unless its for the "show"