4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2017 10:12 AM by Matt Peneguy

Multiple Mate Mode Doesn't Appear to Work Correctly

Matt Peneguy

I'm struggling to find a reason this won't work how I believe it should.  So, I create an assembly and I want all of my parts in that assembly mated to the origin.  I get all the parts into the assembly and think that I can be clever and choose "Multiple Mate Mode":

Then I choose the assembly origin in the top box and all of the part origins in the bottom box, making sure that "Coincident" is selected.  Well, that doesn't constrain my parts fully.  Can anybody explain why this doesn't work as I expect it should?  Is this a bug, or am I missing something?

I have attached an assembly.  The top part was mated via Multiple Mate Mode, and you can see it can move around.  For the other two parts, I deleted the Multiple Mate and mated them manually.  You can see they are fixed.

Edit to add: I'm bumping this thread because I posted it in the evening and only got one reply...

• Re: Multiple Mate Mode Doesn't Appear to Work Correctly
          Walter Fetsch

Matt, I think what you're seeing is that you've constrained two points together.  That constrains the part from translation, but does not address rotation.  What you might want to do is add the mate to the origin, then add a fix mate, then delete the coincident mate so it's not overconstrained.  That should stop all movement of the part.

Matt Peneguy

Walter Fetsch,

Your explanation makes some sense.  But, as you can see in the assembly, if I make the mate when not in "Multiple Mate" mode, ie, single mates, and mate part origins to the assembly origin they are fully constrained with 1 mate.

If you look at the part mates in the assembly, you will see that the top part has 1 mate, part origin to assembly origin, but the part is free to move because I created that mate in "Multiple Mate Mode".  However the two other parts in the assembly only have 1 mate, part origin to assembly origin, and are fully constrained.  If someone sent me that assembly without some sort of explanation, I'd be very confused about why the mates are behaving differently.  I now know how it works, but I'm asking if this is intended behavior, and if so, why?  Or is this some sort of bug?  I do a lot of part origin mates to the assembly origin... And when I say a lot I mean every part in my assembly is mated to the origin with thousands of parts... So, having Multiple Mate mode work "correctly" would be a big time saver for me.

David Durston

Matt Peneguy when you do a single origin to origin mate there is an additional tick box that appears called "Align Axes". When this is ticked there is actually more than one mate added in the background hence the locked position.

When you use multiple mate mode this tick box does not appear (or rather it disappears when you select more than one entity), so the additional 'in the background' mates are not created, leading to parts that still rotate as Walter describes.

I believe this is an intended limitation however I think you have a good enhancement request!

David