AnsweredAssumed Answered

Exporting the entire Toolbox in a single step

Question asked by Todd Blacksher on Dec 12, 2017
Latest reply on Dec 13, 2017 by Dave Bear

Good Afternoon All,

I believe that I already know the answer to this is "NO", but this is my final effort before starting the process.

Does anyone know if it is possible to export the entire Toolbox (or at least a main category like "ANSI Inch") in a single step?

(Preferably to Excel, but if it exports into something else, I might be able to make it work.)

I understand that specific hardware can be exported easily (red arrow), but there are a few complications with that process:

1) This would require going through and exporting every single sub-category of hardware that is used.

2) As you can see in the image below, there are a lot of unused configurations. This is by choice - I don't add them until I need them, which also means that I don't necessarily want to "Purge" them (red box).

3) This process will leave me with multiple excel files and multiple blank rows in each of those files - the time consuming part will be cleaning it all up.

Why would I want to do this?

I really don't . . .

But, it is being requested, and we all know how that goes - "You've got all of this in SOLIDWORKS, can't you just 'dump' it out?"

Why does this need to be done?

Well . . .

The thinking is that we need to "match" all of the hardware in our inventory system with what is in SOLIDWORKS, and cross reference everything.

In a nutshell, it is possible to order a #10-32x.75 Socket Button Head Cap Screw from a variety of vendors, and purchasing needs to be able to match up the numbers that I used in SOLIDWORKS with the numbers from other vendors.

(They might not always order the part from the vendor that I specified, and there is already a lot of hardware in the system.)

On a good note, I do NOT need to do all of the multiple vendor/part number tracking in Toolbox, I just need to give them my list of part numbers.

(If it becomes necessary to update everything within SOLIDWORKS, my recommendation will be to assign all hardware an internal number that has "acceptable substitutes" cross reference in the inventory system. This would involve starting the long and painful process of editing the entire Toolbox.)

Not a huge deal, I just don't want to find out about a great time-saving method after working on this for a day or two.

(I could have swore that there was a way to do all of this with MS Access or something like that . . .)

Thanks!

todd

Outcomes