13 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2018 2:15 PM by Jacob Cone

Anyone installed 2018 PDM Server?

Ryan Sullivan

Our Solidworks VAR has told our I.T dept that we should wait till SP 1 in January to install 2018 PDM on the server?  I'm two years into admin our PDM but I've always installed the new Solidworks release before SP1.  Sure there may be a new feature that's buggy or whatever, but it's never been worse for me than the previous year release (I'm going to regret saying that).

Am I missing some unexplained reasoning why to wait for a PDM upgrade?

Thanks,

Ryan

• Re: Anyone installed 2018 PDM Server?
          Ken Maren

Because your VAR probably doesn't test either....

Chris Saller

Our VAR is coming to our site to install it and train me today and tomorrow. I will let you after we are complete how it goes.

Michael Dekoning

Ryan,

As with any software, the initial release possibly has bugs. With SOLIDWORKS if you ran into something you could just uninstall it and use you previous version. PDM is more complex with server, client and database upgrades which make it nearly impossible to rollback to the earlier release.

Paul Wyndham

I have not tested the installation yet because I have servers that are still running Windows 2008 R2 Server. I have been locked out of ordering server upgrades for about 1.5 years due to server vendor/support/hosting changes within the company. With the Beta releases it was allowed to install on the servers so I didn't realize SolidWorks had changed the requirements until late in the game.

Windows Server 2012 is only supported through 2018 so if you have to upgrade from 2008 R2 go to 2012 R2 or preferably to Windows Server 2016.

Jason Capriotti

Paul, similar issue here.....all of our servers run 2008 R2 per out IT standard. I think SolidWorks jumped the gun by dropping 2008 R2 support so soon.

Hopefully I'll be able to get a MS 2016 server this year but it may delay our usually new version roll out.

Paul Wyndham

Yeah, I agree completely. Microsoft is discontinuing 2008 R2, but they will still provide updates for years. Here at Philips we just had to move away from Windows Server 2003 servers this summer. There is no talk of getting rid of 2008 R2 any time soon. It drives me insane that SolidWorks supported 2008 R2 with the Beta, but not the full release. It was clearly just a tiny change to disallow the OS at the last minute.

My IT team won't even let me get a Windows Server 2016 machine yet. My only option is Windows Server 2012 R2. It kills me to get an OS that is already 4+ years old - When is SolidWorks going to dump it. I know Server 2012 is not supported in SW 2019.

Craig Schultz

We installed it.  Mainly for the ability of branching files.  No issues after a week of using it.

Paul Wyndham

Another thought similar to Ken's is that your environment might be different in a way that causes an issue that nobody else thought of. So, even if you wait till service pack 5 you might still see an issue that makes it so that you can't move to it.

An example from my environment was when SolidWorks moved the SWPDM licenses out of the database and onto the SNL manager. For 99% of my users this was no problem and was even much preferred since it allowed us to share licenses across disconnected vaults. The issue came in where the web client was concerned. The web server has to be able to pull licenses directly from the SNL server. In my environment the web server is not allowed to talk to it in any way, shape or form. SolidWorks was unwilling to allow the license request to come from the main archive server instead of the web server directly. They told me I was the only customer in the world with that situation, so they were not going to change it. I ended up having to split out some of the CADEditorandWeb licenses I have and host them on the main archive server. Now I have to manage that extra SNL just for the web.

Test everything that you can possible test especially any changed or new functionality. That is offend hard or impossible, just do the best you can.

Chris Saller

I thought I would update. We had our come in over a week ago to install PDM. Turns out our server that our IT guy gave us was the wrong one. So, we had to install PDM 2017. We have a new server on order, then we have to do the install again later!

I'm still slowly learning PDM. Big change coming from Workgroup.

Glenn Freeman

We just upgraded from WorkGroup to PDM Pro 2018 in Mid Oct.  I have found a few bugs but nothing earth shattering.  We have sub-assemblies that are suppressed in certain configurations that still show up in the BOM tab in those configurations.  No word on when that issue will be fixed.  We also have a custom revision table so the revision block linking does not work correctly, have been told it will be fixed for Sp1.

Jacob Cone

We upgraded about a week ago. The button that ignores read only files when saving as a copy no longer works. It will ask you if you want to save every single sub assembly now. We suspect if you upgrade all of your files to 2018 (by checking them out,saving them and checking them all in) the problem will mitigate. There is an auto script for this apparently, but we still have to test if that even fixes it. This is a major issue for us in relation to our design process.