8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2017 8:29 AM by David Matula

topic prefix

Nick Gvk

i have an isue with using this forum

and it keeps popping up again and again

it gets most obvius while navigating true this
      Parts and Features

the problem is that people are on all different platforms/years of solidworks

they post the part file

but if the post a 2017 sldprt  there is no way of opening it in 2014 2015 2016 or lower

wich makes helping dificult

only way of knowing this is downloading the file trying to open it

if u cant u need to wait until someone posts a picture in order to help

and since most newwer pieces of software are more capable there is  a big chance i can help using a lowwer software version

this aplies to so many sections of this forum

macro`s that work on 2017 , wont  work on 2012

but 2012 wil work on 2017

its frustrating going true this

and could easely be helped with having a topic prefix

im on a programming forum as wel and they have a prefix in the tittle of the topic like , html or c# or php

example

C#              need help hooking into batch commands

or

HTML5      need help with custom H7 heading

here is a quicpic of different ways u can go about something like this

Knipsel2.PNG

would be grealty apriciated of this could be adressed

if the dev`s of this forum do not have enough knowledge/time   i would like to do the work for free
      but since they added allot of functionality to this forum already i doubt they need my help

also it would be nice for the  macro section to have special code sections

and then protect them using spoilers so people that are not a member of this forum cannot see it

quickpic for exampleKnipsel.PNG

• Re: topic prefix
          Deepak Gupta

Nick, I can understand your frustration but I may disagree with some of your points.

the problem is that people are on all different platforms/years of solidworks, they post the part file but if the post a 2017 sldprt there is no way of opening it in 2014 2015 2016 or lower which makes helping difficult.

1. It is more on the user/member who is asking for help, to post all the required details, specially SOLIDWORKS version and SP (though nothing is mandatory but at least for courtesy). Further if that person can properly create the post title and describe the problem in more details this helps other who are trying to help. Check this post and share with others on how to utilize this as well any forums Forum Posting

Now since advanced version has newer features, so it is little difficult to give a backward compatibility within all versions.

only way of knowing this is downloading the file trying to open it

2. You can use window explorer to find the last SOLIDWORKS version used to save the file.

macro`s that work on 2017 , wont work on 2012 but 2012 will work on 2017

3. Same is with macros since there are obsolete methods OR additional new methods which sometimes creates issues when using higher version macro into lower version (though it would be ~10% cases).

also it would be nice for the macro section to have special code sections and then protect them using spoilers so people that are not a member of this forum cannot see it

4. Well I may not agree with you on this particular one. This is a public forum and open to anyone, so hiding the codes might be a biasing. But yes there are some sections of this forum which are only available to customers/user which are on subscriptions.

Nick Gvk

i do understand what ur saying as i understand the whole problem with backwards compalibilty

but u are missing the point im trying to make

listen to how stupid it gets

u find the topic

look at the problem

download the sldprt

open windows explorer to find out how wich version last saved ( it would be faster just trying to open it imo)

if u can open it great u can help

if not

delete the file

and go back to the forum

but it would be nice to just have a option to select the prefix

people are lazy and if its just 1 click that u need to select it wil save users of the forum time and effort when helping

its a simple add in

the spoiler may not make any sense  for this forum

but the code section just makes it allot better posting macro`s

Deepak Gupta

Nick Gvk wrote:

but it would be nice to just have a option to select the prefix

I agree that prefix like SOLIDWORKS version would be helpful but what I mean in the above post that unless we get something like that, a user must (to help himself/herself) add details of SOLIDWORKS version and related details.

but the code section just makes it allot better posting macro`s

I would prefer people posting macro file instead of long macro text/codes but that would be fine for few lines of codes. For making codes look pleasant. you can use syntax highlighting (only available in advanced editor) and pick anyone from the list (they all work the same way).

Here is one example

Option Explicit
                  Dim swApp As SldWorks.SldWorks

Sub main()
                      Set swApp = Application.SldWorks   
                      MsgBox "Hello SOLIDWORKS user!!"    
                  End Sub

John Stoltzfus

As much as we would all like to modify the forum for our own tastes, it ain't gonna happen, so learn to use it as you see it.  Before you go bashing your head up against the wall, I just want to mention that the people on this forum are very helpful and if you have an issue with modeling, design intent and just a simple problem, it will get taken care of and a solution will be found, even if it's something as simple as changing your approach etc..

Try to search for something, big joke as well and that is why I put together this thread so there is a chance to narrow down the choices, and even that isn't perfect in anyway...

Forum SEARCH RESULTS - Over 160,000 Search Returns - Excel  (10/10/2018)  Updated - Alin Vargatu & Visualize

David Matula

Nick, 

I don't download many parts if any at all.  Those that give a decent description of what has gone wrong I take a wild guess at the problem and offer an idea for the solution.  I could be a mile off, but I hope that it gets the user thinking about options.  If skinning the cat this way is not working today then there are always other ways to do it, sometimes we just need the reminder.