9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2017 8:20 AM by Glenn Schroeder

Insert current year as a property

Gerry Maynard

Our legal department has asked me to include a copyright notice with year in our drawing title block (i.e., ©2017). I want it to be automatic text linked to a property just like any other title block field, rather than hard-coded or linked to a manually-created custom property, so no user intervention or future template updates would be required. I was thinking I could somehow extract just the year from SW-Created Date, but I'm stumped. Any ideas on where or how I could grab just the file creation year?

• Re: Insert current year as a property
          John Stoltzfus

You could update your Part and Assembly Templates with the Year and Copyright in as a Custom Property, the only thing is at the beginning of the New Year you would need to update that Custom Property..

Dan Pihlaja

Are you sure that inserting the current year is wise for this particular thing?

The only reason that I ask, is that, once you roll into 2018, your copyright may not have been "renewed" (or whatever the term is for copyrights) for the year 2018.  Which means that you will be putting Copyright 2018,when it really should be 2017.

Dan Pihlaja

You could create the year as a radio button in your custom property tab builder.  Then you can make the current year the default, but the user could change it as needed.

Christian Chu

You want the year to be updated to the current one or the year of the dwg is created?

Gerry Maynard

It should be static, like the SW-Created Date system property, rather than auto-updated like the SW-Last Saved Date system property. Ideally, I wanted it to automatically populate when the drawing file is first created without the user even thinking about it, and the user really shouldn't need to be able to change it.

John Stoltzfus

Gerry Maynard - The only way to do that is to incorporate the date property in the template files, date would be static...

Christian Chu

The easy way as you might not want it which creates event (need coding) to create a year each time a dwg is created or a simple but harder to apply is auto-macro (run in the background and require on interacting from the user)

Glenn Schroeder

Gerry Maynard wrote:

It should be static, like the SW-Created Date system property, rather than auto-updated like the SW-Last Saved Date system property. Ideally, I wanted it to automatically populate when the drawing file is first created without the user even thinking about it, and the user really shouldn't need to be able to change it.

Without some complex macro I believe you have two choices:

1.  Put a note in your sheet format that's linked to a property in your Drawing.  Set the value manually and save the drawing template.  Update the property in your drawing properties and re-save the template every year.

2.  Put a note in your sheet format that isn't linked to a property.  Save the sheet format, and then save the drawing template.  The process of saving both would need to be updated every year.

Number 1 would be the simplest to update every year, but #2 would probably be a little more difficult for other users to change.

As far as making it so other users can't change it, tell them not to.  If they do it anyway that's a personnel problem, not a software issue.

David Matula

seem to me that the legal department could draft a letter every time that you have to send a drawing to someone that would include a nondisclosure statement and threats for legal action if they send the drawing to anyone else or attempt to use the information for anything other that what it was intended for.  I have notices all over each drawing that has some notice of proprietary info and warnings with no dates other than the dates that we created the drawing or last revised it.  What would be so important about copy writing a drawing, thought that was more for books and FaceBook post.