7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2017 9:41 AM by Jim Steinmeyer

hide sketch lines but not the pictures

Francisco Pires

As the title says, I have a somewhat complex storage system with lots of details on the pallets and racking systems which become drowned beneath all those sketch lines, I know how to go to View>show/hide>sketches but this also takes several images I want to be visible, is it possible to take just the sketch lines but not the sketch pictures?

• Re: hide sketch lines but not the pictures
          Jim Steinmeyer

Francisco,

You have found one of the big problems with sketch pictures. To my knowledge, the only option is to go into each part and hide the sketches individually. There are those who advocate hiding all sketches as well as part and assembly datum planes/ axis when a part or assembly is saved as a finalized file. This is one reason behind such an idea.

Francisco Pires

Thanks for the swift answer. Fortunately this is just one part but multiplied about 60 times in a block so according to you I only need to hide the sketches on the individual part, save it and then it should update the assembly right? It's not working though :/

For clarification, this is how it looks like vs what I want it to look like (I managed to snap a picture of how I want it to look like before it finished update the images when I hide all sketches on the assembly):

Capturar.PNG

2.PNG

Kevin Chandler

Hello,

How about using decals instead of sketch pictures?

When I have to put a label on one of our products, I do it as a part file (our labels are actual parts w/#) with a decal in it.

I create a thin (0.020") extrude rectangle of the label's size, rounded corners, etc. and then I add the decal.

I can then add the label part to the assembly and locate it just as I would for a "regular" part.

Using this method, you only have to go through the decal sizing and locating process once.

The extrude is a built-in resize boundary and if you over stretch the decal a little beyond the extrude's edges, the decal is clipped.

Cheers,

Kevin

EDIT: Down side is decals don't show in the wireframe views.

Not so for your post, but just typin'.

Jim Steinmeyer

Kevin,

In the past I would make the decal by placing a sketch picture on a thin extrusion like you describe. doing so I would have the same problem as what Francisco is having. Do you extrude the decal sketches or do you place a sketch picture on your decals?

Francisco Pires

This has me intrigued, do your sketch pictures have a boundary or some sketch that is locating them? Or do you have some sketch that you use to pattern the boxes that may be showing? Maybe if you could share a box model or even the assembly we could look at it and find what is showing.

Kevin Chandler

Hello,

Our clients usually send PDFs of the approved artwork (with data for the label folks).

From this I get the L X W and rounded corner radius for the extrude.

I use Windows Snipping tool to capture the label content and save it as an image file.

I use this image file to make a new decal file in SW.

I make the extrude label part and add the decal (like any other decal), sizing and locating it as required to fit it to the extrude face.

I add the usual part data for BOM purposes (because ours are usually parts), but this isn't necessary if these are for illustration only.

The part is then inserted into an assembly. (If you don't want this showing up in a BOM, then in component properties, check exclude from BOM.)

The back of the label extrude is used for a coincident mate and width mates (usually) for location.

Cheers,

Kevin

Francisco Pires

They're contained on a sketch the size of each sides of the box, so 6 sketches, I wanted to make that look like individual boxes pilled up and that was the easiest way I found. I managed to hide the sketches from the pallets, the way you suggested before, but I can't do that for the sketched pictures otherwise they disappear ofc.

I made the box, applied the 6 sketch pictures on each side, pulled the pallet from the grabcad and adjusted to the size I wanted, then on the assembly I put them together to make a single pallet+box and the it's just 2 linear patterns.

Here's the box and the pallet:

https://ufile.io/ml1bz

https://ufile.io/j21ly

@Kevin Chandler Thing is I need to resize the image in order to fit each side of the box. I could do that externally but then I'd need to do it for the 3 sides. I thought it was just easier to use a sketch picture and manually resize it, doesn't need to be perfect anyway.

Jim Steinmeyer

I think I just figured it out from your description. ALL of the decals are showing through, not just the ones on the exterior. With that in mind what you would need to do is have configurations of the box, one with no decals that would be used for all of the hidden boxes and then configurations that would just have the decals on the side that is showing. Then you would need different patterns for the different sides that need to show. Lots of work. Maybe, I haaven't tried this with patterns, you can go into the patterned boxes and hide the necessary sketches there, but I don't think so.

I think your best bet will be to use a different method to create the decals than using sketch pictures. The other option would be to place each box individually, I know you can then hide the sketches.

Guys, can a pattern be dissolved so the boxes could be placed and then made separate so they could be worked with individually?