3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2017 9:15 AM by Rachid Brah

Wrench-bolt modeling and simulation help

Rachid Brah

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum. Thank you for the help in advance.

As you can see in the picture, I am trying to model a wrench opening or tightening a bolt but not in a regular way (check the picture please). For me to simulate the real world situation I want the two surface of the head bolt to not be in direct contact with the whole surface of the wrench's jaws, because when the wrench tries to turn it presses the head bolt in just a portion of its side surface. One of the things I tried was to create a coincident mate between the bolt's central axis and the wrench's axis. Now the wrench can spin centered on the bolt. After that, I did a distance mate from the top of the hex head to a parallel plane with the horizontal located in the upper of the wrench's opening between the two jaws. Select a corner edge of the wrench's jaw and the one flat surface of the bolt's side.

My problem now is that when I run the simulation it gives me the error message of excessive displacement. In my view, this is because we have three moments Mx,My,Mz that were created on the wrench's open flat surfaces. Mz will rotate it vertically, Mx will make some of the end internal comers of the wrench exercise stress on the bolt, however My will try to rotate the wrench about y-axis and nothing will stop it. That is probably why I am getting that error message. is there a kind of restraint or anything else that will stop restrain the wrench from rotating about y but allow it to do so about a and z please? Your help will be a great help. Thank you