6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2017 2:11 PM by Matt Lufter

Centerlines in part document sketches to drawings....

Matt Lufter

New user to Solidworks.

I have centerlines on my sketches in my part document.

How can I have these centerlines displayed on my drawings?

I want the centerlines shown for dimensioning purposes.d

Must be a simple setting I'm missing somewhere.

• Re: Centerlines in part document sketches to drawings....
          Sachin Murigesh

Hi,

Turn on 'View Sketches' from View (Heads Up) toolbar.

'Show' the sketch from drawing view.

This will show all the entities in that sketch - center line + other lines. Better draw a center line in drawing and reference it to the sketch center line and then hide the sketch.

Matt Lufter

ok.

thanks.

I'm able to see the sketch on my drawing.

How do I reference the center line(s) I draw on the drawing to the centerlines on the sketch?

After that, how do I dimension to this centerline from the origin and show it as a diameter dimension?  Dimension is shown as a radial dimension.

Glenn Schroeder

Matt Lufter wrote:

ok.

thanks.

I'm able to see the sketch on my drawing.

How do I reference the center line(s) I draw on the drawing to the centerlines on the sketch?  With SolidWorks there are multiple ways to do most things.

1.  You can insert a sketch line in your drawing view and make it co-linear with the line from the sketch.

2.  With the model sketch showing, click on the line and then choose the "Convert Entities" sketch tool.  That will reproduce the line as a sketch line in the drawing view.  You can then right-click on the sketch in the tree and choose "Hide" from the drop-down.

3.  If it's a true centerline between two model edges you can use the Centerline tool to reproduce it without referencing the model sketch, but I don't of course know if this is the case.

After that, how do I dimension to this centerline from the origin and show it as a diameter dimension? Dimension is shown as a radial dimension.  After inserting the radius dimension, again, there are at least two ways.  Right-click on the dimension and choose Display Options > Display as Diameter, or left-click on the dimension to display it's Property Manager, go to the Leaders tab, and choose the appropriate icon.  See the screenshots below.

Tony Cantrell

In your drawing go to Annotations and on the right side of the tool bar you can insert center-lines.