7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2017 8:49 AM by Greg Johnson

Undo Rollback PDM Vault

Jim Panfil

Hi guys.

We seem to be having a problem here at work with people rolling files back accidentally. I'm sure no one here has ever done this, but is there any way I can undo this?

Separate question but related: the same part keeps being rolled back. It seems this part is attached to some other assemblies in some way. How can I avoid this in the future?

• Re: Undo Rollback PDM Vault
          Solid Air

My understanding is when you roll back a document, the rolled back documents are destroyed so no way to get them back.

Where I work only a select few have roll back rights to reduce the number of these "mistakes".  Your work might want to consider this too.

Alex Burnett

Jim Panfil wrote:

Hi guys.

We seem to be having a problem here at work with people rolling files back accidentally. I'm sure no one here has ever done this, but is there any way I can undo this?

Separate question but related: the same part keeps being rolled back. It seems this part is attached to some other assemblies in some way. How can I avoid this in the future?

Rolling back a file should be an Admin tool only. I can't think of any reason that everyone should have access to a tool like that. It makes the vault unreliable in the event that the part being rolled back causes reference issues with assemblies and files of other users. The same goes for delete in my opinion. A standard user should only be able to create, check-in, check-out files, and be able to send them on a workflow.

Edit:

I don't believe there's a way to undo a rollback as it's a permanent change back to the database.

As for your second question, if parts are getting rolled back that are related to other parts then the user doing the roll back isn't looking closely at the PDM dialog box with checked selections of related parts before clicking okay. This is another reason that everyone shouldn't have access to a tool that removes progress to that degree.

Greg Johnson

I'm attempting to restore a accidental rollback myself. The first thing that we did was remove the rollback permission for all our users. I was successful creating a SQL report of files and versions that need to be restored. This report is sorted by the date the version was created. I'm currently validating this report to make sure it is correct. Now the tough part is to restore each version of the file in order (oldest go back in the vault first) and transition each file at the right version. I have about 2500 versions of files to restore. This will take some time to accomplish.