9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 5, 2017 12:31 PM by Kevin Chandler

    part default change

    Yudika Ergiyanto

      Hi All,

       

       

      In Assy tree manager, how to make in tree manager only part name only?

      e.g: 01 Part 1 <1>( default xxxx and els)

             what is<1> mean and syntax behind its part?

         i want to make part name only  on my tree manager.

       

      regards,

       

      Yudika

        • Re: part default change
          Deepak Gupta

          Yudika, the <1> or any digit has nothing to do with file name but it is only an instance count i.e. how many times a component was inserted or used in that assembly.

            • Re: part default change
              Habib Ghalamkari

              Deepak Gupta wrote:

               

              Yudika, the <1> or any digit has nothing to do with file name but it is only an instance count i.e. how many times a component was inserted or used in that assembly.

              Deepak Gupta

              When it comes to this discussion, I feel anger against Solidworks. It was very helpful if those numbers were the count of each component.

              Feature Tree would behave like a little BOM and we could have a quick view on the count of used parts.

              But it seems that it's just a initial counter. Add 5 instances of a component to an assembly, you have 1,2,3,4 & 5.

              Delete 3 of them. Add 2 more. Delete another. Add one more. Now see the numbers.

              What do they mean at all? Is there anyone out there who actually use those numbers?

               

              During the design process, at times I don't know what would the results be. I use some components in my assembly, then I feel they don't suit me, and use some other,

              then go back to first, and at last I come to a mix of them. Now I have a range of numbers which doesn't mean anything and  populating the feature tree for nothing.

              These numbers are disturbing.

               

              Do you know what is worse?

              Add a part to an assembly and mate it. Use Copy With Mate and add two more instances. And click the red X to cancel the command.

              Now you have 1,2 & 3 in front of them.

              How about if you add one more? (either by Copy with mate Or ctrl+Drag)

              No you won't have 4. Your number is 5.

              Even though we canceled the fourth one, it's counted.

               

              They may need these numbers for their initial processes. But why they are shown. Why they are not kept behind the curtain?

                • Re: part default change
                  Deepak Gupta

                  Habib Ghalamkari wrote:

                   

                  What do they mean at all?

                  These number indicate the instance id of a component which was inserted or initiated for inserting in an assembly. You won't get the same instance Id/number unless you close and reopen that assembly and then insert the required component. I'm not sure as why one should bother with it as long your final quantity is correct.

                  Is there anyone out there who actually use those numbers?

                  I use these numbers in API. With this number I can tell the SOLIDWORKS as which instance of a component should be processed. If that number is no available, then it would be hard for me to find that particular component since all of them all same. Otherwise also SOLIDWORKS could get confused as which is instance is parent and which is child OR mate has been applied on which instance id.

                   

                  They may need these numbers for their initial processes. But why they are shown. Why they are not kept behind the curtain?

                  May be you can raise an idea of hiding the instance id if you need.

                    • Re: part default change
                      Habib Ghalamkari

                      Deepak Gupta wrote:

                      I use these numbers in API. With this number I can tell the SOLIDWORKS as which instance of a component should be processed. If that number is no available, then it would be hard for me to find that particular component since all of them all same. Otherwise also SOLIDWORKS could get confused as which is instance is parent and which is child OR mate has been applied on which instance id.

                      Just out of curiosity. I've been programing vba for years. But never had enough time to put on SW API. So with this question I may seem an idiot.

                      The idea of a macro is having a program to run on any circumstances and in different files. So when you write a macro and use these numbers to do some tasks, how this macro can run on a different file? A different file means different situation and possibly different IDs.

                       

                       

                      Deepak Gupta wrote:

                      These number indicate the instance id of a component which was inserted or initiated for inserting in an assembly. You won't get the same instance Id/number unless you close and reopen that assembly and then insert the required component. I'm not sure as why one should bother with it as long your final quantity is correct.

                      The final result is correct. I simply have no clues why my feature tree has to be filled with these numbers.

                      2017-12-05_18-08-11.jpg

                       

                       

                      Deepak Gupta wrote:

                      May be you can raise an idea of hiding the instance id if you need.

                      Well if some pros are using them, asking them to hide these IDs seems not to be fair.

                        • Re: part default change
                          Deepak Gupta

                          Habib Ghalamkari wrote:

                           

                          The idea of a macro is having a program to run on any circumstances and in different files. So when you write a macro and use these numbers to do some tasks, how this macro can run on a different file? A different file means different situation and possibly different IDs.

                          The macro is being used on a master document where initial ids are fixed and then macro creates required files from those master files.

                      • Re: part default change
                        Rob Edwards

                        Hi Habib

                        Yep this has annoyed me too, I suppose I like things to be neat but also it causes me real problems when using a DT.  There is a similar convention across the whole of Solidworks when features are added, Sketches probably being the most commonplace.  For example If you add two sketches, delete one and add another the sketch name is not sequential from your last sketch in the tree.  It is easy enough to rename a sketch but you cannot do that for the instance id.  Like Deepak says these are useful when using a macro, but it's trickier when trying work with them inside Excel.

                         

                        The solution I have found is to Save the document, and reload it.  This restores the number added to features to be what you'd expect.  Note you must actually close and reload the document, a simple reload doesn't work.

                        • Re: part default change
                          Kevin Chandler

                          Hello,

                           

                          You stated you wished that "Feature Tree would behave like a little BOM and we could have a quick view on the count of used parts."

                           

                          Right click your assembly tree, select Tree Display>Group Component Instances and this:

                          becomes this:

                           

                          I hope this helps,

                           

                          Kevin

                      • Re: part default change
                        Sergio Monti

                        You can select what is shown next to the part/assembly in tree. RMB on the main assembly name, then "Tree Display" and select what to show.

                        You can't get rid of the <no>.