5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2017 12:05 PM by J. Mather

How can i mate a disc?

Corey McVeigh

Hi how can i mate the disc onto brake pad?

Thank you!

help1.pnghelp2.png

• Re: How can i mate a disc?
          Solid Air

I assume you are referring to the center of the disc to the pad?  If yes then for the ones I use, I set up a sketch in the pad model for the size disc I am using and mate to those.  If I do not do that then I try to model the pad where I can use distance mates from the planes.  Hope this helps.

Kevin Chandler

Hello,

This an assumption, but for rotor concentricity, how about creating a sketch that contains a 3 point circle on the [EDIT: center of the ends of the] caliper pins/bolts.

Create an extruded surface using this circle.

Then do a contric mate with the rotor and the surface.

After this, hide (not suppress) the surface.

The other mate can be a distance instead of a coincident mate.

A coincident mate will wear your pads out prematurely.

Cheers,

Kevin C.

Kevin Chandler

Hello again,

Another (more thought out) approach:

1. No fixed parts in the assembly, so float anything that's currently fixed
              2. If the rotor was modeled centered on a plane (rotor face to face), mate this plane (expand the assy's tree & select it in the rotor's tree) to the assembly's front plane
                1. If the rotor wasn't modeled centered on a plane, do a symmetric mate with the assy's front plane and the rotor's faces
              3. Create a ref geometry axis using the assy's right and top planes
              4. Turn on view temp axes
              5. Create a coincident mate using the step 3 axis and the rotor's central temp axis
                1. This fixes the rotor but still allows it to spin (it's a rotor, not a stator)
                2. Turn off view temp axes
              6. Mate the other parts together, ignoring the rotor for now
              7. Width mate the pad faces and the rotor faces
              8. Create an angled plane using the assy's right plane and the step 3 axis
                1. Make the angle 45° (when viewed facing the rotor, this plane's edge should run from 4:30 to 10:30, through the rotor center)
              9. If the calipers were modeled centered on a plane (perp to the pad face), then mate this plane coincident to the step 8 plane
                1. If the calipers weren't modeled centered on a plane, create a midplane plane on the caliper and use this plane for the mate
              10. The caliper subassembly should now be centered between the rotor and at a 45° forward angle (like on a left front car wheel), but the subassy should be able to move radially from the rotor axis. This movement must be mated:
                1. Use the concentric mate of my first reply (which I'm doubting is a viable method)
                2. Or use a distance mate:
                  1. Create perp plane using the step 3 axis and the 45° angled plane (from 1:30 to 7:30 through the rotor center)
                  2. Distance mate this plane and the top face of a caliper (you'll need to adjust the distance value to what appears correct)
              11. Once satisfied, turn off (but not suppress) the axes and planes you created for mating

You can adjust the angle for the angled plane if 45° doesn't work for you. Everything should follow along w/o any kabooms.

I hope this helps,

Kevin C.

P.S.: This post has a whiff of homework on it.

If so, be sure to give proper attribution for any assistance you recieve, but also demonstrate all of the new SW tidbits you learned from this assistance.

It's a good excercise on using reference geometry for mating.

J. Mather

Attach your assembly here and end all doubt.