11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2017 4:02 PM by Jim Wilkinson

command manager is not displaying the icons. 

Lee Coles

While going thru the tutorials i noticed that the icons are not displaying on one of the command manager ribbons... specifically SECTION view.  Fresh install of 17 and I am new to Solidworks.  Thanks in advance for the help.

command buttons are there and only the tool tip lets you know whats under the mouse. 

• Re: command manager is not displaying the icons. 
          Tony Tieuli

Lee Coles wrote:

While going thru the tutorials i noticed that the icons are not displaying on one of the command manager ribbons... specifically SECTION view. Fresh install of 17 and I am new to Solidworks. Thanks in advance for the help.

command buttons are there and only the tool tip lets you know whats under the mouse.

Looking at your screenshot I notice that none of your tabs are depressed (Like Features is below)

features.png

I didn't even know that was possible.

If you haven't already, close SWX, reboot and open SWX and see if that solved your problem.

If not, your installation is probably messed up.

You may have to un-install and re-install SWX.

Lee Coles

in the tutorial, i clicked on the section view icon, which flashes to this ribbon.  i can add new icons to the ribbon, but they aren't visible anymore then the others that are already there.  rebooted and repaired app... still no luck.  wonder if it's something buggy in the tutorial.

Tony Tieuli

Lee Coles wrote:

in the tutorial, i clicked on the section view icon, which flashes to this ribbon. i can add new icons to the ribbon, but they aren't visible anymore then the others that are already there. rebooted and repaired app... still no luck. wonder if it's something buggy in the tutorial.

If you click on one of the tabs (Such as features) do those icons come up?

If, when doing the tutorial, you click on the section view icon in the HUD (at the top of the graphics area) instead of the one within the tutorial do you get the same result?

Lee Coles

yes, the tabs, when clicked, show icons.  I found VIEW tab and turned on all the tabs on so i can find stuff.  The blank command ribbon has all kinds of icons (from many command groups) and i can only seem to access that ribbon thru the tutorial flash.  As long as there is access to the commands i need, i guess this isn't a problem.  it just threw me off because I am learning the user interface for the first time.  thanks for responding.

Jim Wilkinson

Lee Coles wrote:

yes, the tabs, when clicked, show icons. I found VIEW tab and turned on all the tabs on so i can find stuff. The blank command ribbon has all kinds of icons (from many command groups) and i can only seem to access that ribbon thru the tutorial flash. As long as there is access to the commands i need, i guess this isn't a problem. it just threw me off because I am learning the user interface for the first time. thanks for responding.

Something definitely looks wrong here. Can you post a screenshot of when the CommandManager DOES show icons?

Thanks,

Jim

Lee Coles

here ya go.  i haven't found any other way to get to that ribbon other then from the tutorial.  can you give it a shot. its from lesson 1: Parts.... section view lesson page.  I have a feeling I don't need that ribbon, per say, as it looks like it's a condensed group of command.  auto dimension scheme is the first unseen command on this ghost ribbon.  another is Datum

Tony Tieuli

Lee Coles wrote:

here ya go. i haven't found any other way to get to that ribbon other then from the tutorial. can you give it a shot. its from lesson 1: Parts.... section view lesson page. I have a feeling I don't need that ribbon, per say, as it looks like it's a condensed group of command. auto dimension scheme is the first unseen command on this ghost ribbon. another is Datum

I just tried it. It does the same thing for me!

Never saw that before!

Jim Wilkinson

Lee Coles wrote:

here ya go. i haven't found any other way to get to that ribbon other then from the tutorial. can you give it a shot. its from lesson 1: Parts.... section view lesson page. I have a feeling I don't need that ribbon, per say, as it looks like it's a condensed group of command. auto dimension scheme is the first unseen command on this ghost ribbon. another is Datum

OK, so tabs are working correctly.  If you notice, the section view icon is on the toolbar that turned on above the CommandManager. That icon is supposed to blink and the tooltip is supposed to point to that. The CommandManager should not go blank when this happens. Was it only the section view icon that had this behavior or other icons? For instance, your last image now shows two more toolbars. I assume those turned on when you clicked on buttons in the tutorial. Did they highlight and have the tooltip pointing to them or did they also make the CommandManager go blank and show the tooltip in the wrong location (and not blink the icon).

Thanks,
                                    Jim

Lee Coles

again, that ribbon is blank but there are command buttons there.  the tip bubbles tell me there is, plus i can execute a command.

so far, no other tutorial command locator has failed me. just that one.  Being that I am a 2 day newbie, it threw me off.  Ultimately I found the section command a couple of places.  As long as this ghost ribbon is not the only place to find the commands I should be good to go.  I have more tutorials to go before training take place.  will see if there is any more of these that steer me wrong. lol

Jim Wilkinson

Lee Coles wrote:

again, that ribbon is blank but there are command buttons there. the tip bubbles tell me there is, plus i can execute a command.

so far, no other tutorial command locator has failed me. just that one. Being that I am a 2 day newbie, it threw me off. Ultimately I found the section command a couple of places. As long as this ghost ribbon is not the only place to find the commands I should be good to go. I have more tutorials to go before training take place. will see if there is any more of these that steer me wrong. lol

Ok. Thanks. Please post if you do encounter any more.

Thanks,

Jim