10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2017 9:29 AM by Ramiro Suárez

How to activate icons descriptive labels

Ramiro Suárez

Hi. I am SW newbie. Can someone please tell me how to permanently activate icons descriptive labels? Most of the programs I use show a label when I fly the mouse pointer over an icon, I am sure SW must have them as well. Thanks.

• Re: How to activate icons descriptive labels
          Todd Blacksher

I believe this is what you are after - Just right click along the top and select "Customize" -

Set it to "Show tooltips" -

Ramiro Suárez

Thanks Todd.

Somehow I didn't see the Customize option and just by seeing it I might have guess that "tooltips" is the purpose for what I need. Unfortunately those options are already selected, but the only contextual help I get is at the left down corner of the screen, very awkward position for when you are traveling along new toolbar.

Just to test, I disabled tooltips options and nothing happened; I even re-started the program to see to take effect but same thing. I am guessing this feature isn't really working for me.

Todd Blacksher

Ramiro,

Just to triple check, you will need to move your cursor up into the "ribbon" at the top of the screen and right click to get the option to customize. (I drew a red box in the image below to show where my cursor was located when I right clicked.)

todd

EDIT: You may need to click on the image to see the red box, it is all the way to the right.

Ramiro Suárez

Todd. Yes, with small differences to your version (in 2014 Customize option is way below the ribbon) I also could reach Customize option similar to the one through Tools in the upper menu.

I guess since I am an AutoCAD user, I got used to get fast labels as I fly over an icon. Probably this is just how SW behaves, and labels only appear at the status bar (bottom left corner). Maybe you can confirm that? Thanks again.

Jim Wilkinson

Ramiro Suárez wrote:

Todd. Yes, with small differences to your version (in 2014 Customize option is way below the ribbon) I also could reach Customize option similar to the one through Tools in the upper menu.

I guess since I am an AutoCAD user, I got used to get fast labels as I fly over an icon. Probably this is just how SW behaves, and labels only appear at the status bar (bottom left corner). Maybe you can confirm that? Thanks again.

Hi Ramiro,

SOLIDWORKS does have tooltips on buttons like other applications. There is likely something going wrong in your installation or on your machine. I would try the following:

1) Exit SOLIDWORKS, go to SOLIDWORKS Rx in the start menu and on the Home tab at the bottom, try running each of the safe modes to see if it helps. If it works with the first safe mode, then it is likely a problem with your graphics card and then the Diagnostics tab of SOLIDWORKS Rx can help you troubleshoot that. If there are no tooltips using that safe mode, exit SOLIDWORKS and run the second safe mode. If that works, then post back and indicate that it worked and I can help troubleshoot further.

2) If neither of the above safe modes work, I would suggest running a repair on the SOLIDWORKS installation as there might be some missing SOLIDWORKS or Windows components causing this.

Thanks,

Jim

Ramiro Suárez

Thanks Jim. Great suggestion but just tried to make it work in both safe modes and nothing seem to change, I also tried waiting longer as Todd sugested but nothing ever pop-ups. My only chance now is to re-install the version or moving on to a more recent version for not jeopardizing my learning experience. I run diagnostics as well and everything seem to be OK, more into the idea of getting a 2017 version. Thank you very much.

Todd Blacksher

Perfect! (Sounds weird, but I wanted to verify that we were seeing the same thing.)

I am running 2017SP3.0 at work - I see the labels in the bottom left corner, and when I hover over the icon (sometimes it takes a second to pop up, but it is there.)

I hate to jump to this, but you might need to "repair/modify" your installation, or possibly even re-install.

I'm not sure what is going on here, but I am seeing something similar on my 2018SP0.1 install -

When you use "Search Commands" in the top right, clicking on the eye will move the cursor to the command, and a red arrow will appear to "highlight" the command - I'm no longer seeing the arrow.

Not sure what is going on in either case.

(I just saw something from Jim pop up, I'll have to see what he says . . .)

todd