4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2017 7:03 AM by Glenn Schroeder Branched from an earlier discussion.

How to use "Following" in a Forum Post

Glenn Schroeder

Thanks for the report Rick.  (I know this doesn't contribute much to the Discussion, but now replies will show up in my Inbox).

Edit:  I realize that standing alone as it does the above doesn't make any sense.  This Reply was originally in another Discussion (Trip Report to SW Headquarters Representing ONE and TWO - 11/15/17 ), but it, and the replies to it, went off at a tangent.  That's why it was Branched off into a separate Discussion.  It's part of the ongoing efforts to keep Replies on topic here on the forum.

• Re: How to use "Following" in a Forum Post
          Dan Pihlaja

Glenn Schroeder  wrote:

(I know this doesn't contribute much to the Discussion, but now replies will show up in my Inbox).

They would as well if you clicked the "follow" button on the top right corner for this thread.

You automatically follow a thread if you reply to it, but you can click "Follow" to follow a thread that you haven't replied to. (you can't do this from your inbox....must open the thread separately)

Glenn Schroeder

Dan Pihlaja wrote:

Glenn Schroeder wrote:

(I know this doesn't contribute much to the Discussion, but now replies will show up in my Inbox).

They would as well if you clicked the "follow" button on the top right corner for this thread.  I tried that, but it doesn't work.  I've tried before on other Discussions and it's never worked.

You automatically follow a thread if you reply to it, but you can click "Follow" to follow a thread that you haven't replied to. (you can't do this from your inbox....must open the thread separately)   Dan, with all due respect, if I could "Folllow" a Discussion from my Inbox wouldn't I already be Following it?

Dan Pihlaja

Glenn Schroeder wrote:

Dan Pihlaja wrote:

Glenn Schroeder wrote:

They would as well if you clicked the "follow" button on the top right corner for this thread. I tried that, but it doesn't work. I've tried before on other Discussions and it's never worked.

You automatically follow a thread if you reply to it, but you can click "Follow" to follow a thread that you haven't replied to. (you can't do this from your inbox....must open the thread separately) Dan, with all due respect, if I could "Folllow" a Discussion from my Inbox wouldn't I already be Following it?

You have to specifically select the Inbox for the follow.  If you don't select the inbox for the follow, then the follow falls into a different category.  See the attached video.

And on your 2nd question....not necessarily.    All the people that I follow I am following from my inbox...and not the default follow (I set that up on purpose.....the same way I show it in the video).  Which means that I see their responses in my inbox (which gives me a link to the thread), but when someone else replies (who I am not following, assuming I haven't replied to the thread or are not already following it), then the thread does NOT ping my inbox.

Does that make sense?

Glenn Schroeder

Dan Pihlaja wrote:

Glenn Schroeder wrote:

Dan Pihlaja wrote:

Glenn Schroeder wrote:

They would as well if you clicked the "follow" button on the top right corner for this thread. I tried that, but it doesn't work. I've tried before on other Discussions and it's never worked.

You automatically follow a thread if you reply to it, but you can click "Follow" to follow a thread that you haven't replied to. (you can't do this from your inbox....must open the thread separately) Dan, with all due respect, if I could "Folllow" a Discussion from my Inbox wouldn't I already be Following it?

You have to specifically select the Inbox for the follow. If you don't select the inbox for the follow, then the follow falls into a different category. See the attached video.

And on your 2nd question....not necessarily. All the people that I follow I am following from my inbox...and not the default follow (I set that up on purpose.....the same way I show it in the video). Which means that I see their responses in my inbox (which gives me a link to the thread), but when someone else replies (who I am not following, assuming I haven't replied to the thread or are not already following it), then the thread does NOT ping my inbox.

Does that make sense?

It makes perfect sense.  I'm ashamed to admit I never noticed the options for Following, and also didn't realize that Following people made their responses show up in my Inbox even on Discussions I wasn't otherwise following.

Now, since this Discussion has gotten way off track do you think I should delete my original Discussion so all this goes away?