65 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2018 7:18 AM by X. Liu

XNurbs releases the most powerful and easiest-to-use NURBS software

X. Liu

Hello SolidWorks users,

XNurbs releases a ground-breaking NURBS software. By playing the two-minute demo video ( http://www.xnurbs.com/download/XNurbs.mp4 ), you can judge if XNurbs is the most powerful and easiest-to-use NURBS software ever developed. More info is available at http://www.xnurbs.com .

XNurbs uses one simple UI to solve all kinds of problems for NURBS creations – unlimited capacity for solving NURBS and generating high-quality surfaces based on energy-minimization method. XNurbs is currently available as a SolidWorks addin. The attached files are the generated models from the demo video.

We hope you enjoy XNurbs addin.

Best Regards

Kevin

XNurbs

• Re: XNurbs releases the most powerful and easiest-to-use NURBS software
          Paul Salvador

Pretty impressive and fast!   Good work!

so, why have we not seen something like this in the past??... SW Corp should be embarrassed, imho!

btw, works on all of my versions.. 2012, 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017.

... but, $595usd?

Paul Salvador

Kevin,.. why does this patch (surrounded by xnurbs surfaces 1-6) not solve? (see attached image and file)

xblndz.png

X. Liu

Paul,

Please read "XNurbsHelp.chm"/Tips (i.e., XNurbs manual). It is called "Conflict Constraints": You enforce "Curvature" continuity, but the boundary conditions in your model only support “Tangent” continuity.

The following is quoted from the manual ("XNurbsHelp.chm"/Tips).

Conflict Constraints:

1. Tangent/Curvature continuity: Many existing models or boundary conditions may not support Tangent/Curvature continuity. For example, the boundary conditions below only support tangent continuity, and they have inconsistent or conflict curvatures. For such models, enforcing a higher continuity, e.g., Curvature, is not recommended.

(Our manual only has a couple of pages, but it covers anything for using XNurbs.)

Kevin

Paul Salvador

Kevin,.. hmm,.. I don't follow that logic,.. because contact or tangent also do not resolve.

Paul Salvador

Kevin,.. is your help saying, without saying,... that we can NOT use xnurbs with other xnurbs?

Also, there seems to be problems with using SolidWorks Fill Surface on your xnurbs surfaces 1-6?

.. Also, when I do a "ctrl-q"  (forced rebuild).. my edges relating to the xnurbs surfaces are lost using boundary, loft, fill, rule,...   that is NOT good.

X. Liu

Paul,

I figure out that you are using “SolidWorks 2017 64-bit SP3.0 or earlier”. You should get the following error message "Cannot create a trimmed surface because of tiny gaps between boundary edges. You should update to SolidWorks 2017 SP4.1 or later." This is caused by a SolidWorks API issue, and SolidWorks fixed the issue in 2017 SP4.1. Updating to SolidWorks 2017 SP4.1 or later will fix the problem. Alternatively, you can use one surface to get the work done (remember to specify any internal curves as “internal constraints”)

Our website has the following instruction:

Note: For Solidworks versions prior to 2017 SP4.1, due to a SolidWorks API’s problem, under rare cases (i.e., when there are some specific tiny gaps between boundary edges), XNurbs may not trim the final surface generated due to the gaps between boundary edges. Under such cases, you may have to manually trim the final surface generated. Updating to SolidWorks 2017 SP4.1 or later may fix the problem (Remember installing the corresponding XNurbs addin version).

X. Liu

Paul,

"Also, there seems to be problems with using SolidWorks Fill Surface on your xnurbs surfaces 1-6?"

XNurbs generates native CAD surfaces, i.e., trimmed NURBS surfaces, which can be directly used for any CAD modeling operations. I tested SolidWorks Fill Surface, and SolidWorks Fill Surface works if you only enforce "contact" and "tangent" on your model. SolidWorks Fill Surface will fail when enforcing "curvature" continuity. Obviously, SolidWorks Fill Surface is not powerful enough to handle "curvature" continuity correctly. It is really not our fault.

Kevin

Paul Salvador

yes,..for some reason, Fill Surface fails on the xnurbs surfaces using tangent/curvature,.. and again, if you do a ctrl-q.. all references are lost so this is not a good thing...  needs to be fixed.

and yes, as a test, I export the xnurbs surfaces as iges/step, and re-import,.. again, for some reason.., Fill Surface does not resolve using tangent/curvature on those pre xnurbs edges... there are extremely small gaps?   ..needs to be fixed (by SW Corp?).

X. Liu

Paul,

“if you do a ctrl-q.. all references are lost”

"BUT there is the same problem which exist with "ctrl-q"  the forced rebuild will fail all edge referencing to xnurbs surfaces."

Except for one special case, all edges relating to the xnurbs surfaces will work without any problem, i.e., with "ctrl-q", the forced rebuild will work fine with all edges referencing to xnurbs feature. For that special case, you need re-select the edges. The special case only happens under the following scenario:

1. You select two opposite edges as input, and XNurbs generates a four-side surface (as shown in the image below)

2. Then you select the edges marked with red points in the attached image and input them to other features.

Only in this special case, you need re-select the edges for other features when rebuilding. (This is caused by an issue related to SolidWorks persistent id.)

Preview.png

If this is a big deal, we can address it. (We think this case only happens under rare circumstance or theoretical circumstance. Also for your model, you can use one surface to get the work done - remember to specify any internal curves as “internal constraints”. Then you would never have such a problem.)

X. Liu

@Paul Salvador

Paul,

“I export the xnurbs surfaces as iges/step, and re-import,.. again, for some reason.., Fill Surface does not resolve using tangent/curvature on those pre xnurbs edges... there are extremely small gaps?   ..needs to be fixed (by SW Corp?).”

This also confirms that the failure of SolidWorks Fill Surface has nothing to do with XNurbs. SolidWorks does not suffer the issue of small gaps (SolidWorks is based on Parasolid, which can handle small gaps easily), and the problem of small gaps only exists in SolidWorks APIs. SolidWorks’ solver is just not powerful enough to solve your input.

Alin Vargatu

Will download, install and test. Looks promising.

Paul Salvador

btw,.. does anyone know how (if you removed xnurbs program) to REMOVE the (suspended) xnurbs bodies (other than Body-Delete)?

..and, why can't we Rollback before the (suspended) xnurb bodies?

X. Liu

Paul,

It seems that you carefully tested XNurbs, and you are a very experienced SolidWorks user.

Without installing XNurbs, any SolidWorks users can open/view and apply downstream operations to a model containing XNurbs features. To edit XNurbs features, you need install XNurbs. (Most good SolidWorks addins have the same behavior.) If you just need to use XNurbs occasionally, then you can install the free trial version, which is fully functioned.

BTW, could you please confirm that the issue of ctrl-q for that special case is important? (I think this is the only issue you have.) If so, we can fix it within 2 days and then release an update. (We discussed that issue before we released XNurbs, and thought few users would use XNurbs to handle such simple models.)

Patch is a trivial function to XNurbs. XNurbs uses one simple UI to solve all kinds of NURBS modeling.

Kevin

X. Liu

Hi SolidWorks users,

Just let you know that we just release XNurbs V1.02, which fixed all known issues reported (All issues are minor issues.)

We are making a Christmas Special of XNurbs software at the price of 95 USD and sell directly.

XNurbs can be used under two scenarios:

1. SolidWorks does not generate satisfied results. In this scenario, XNurbs will get the job done – XNurbs can solve all kinds of problems SolidWorks may have in surfacing creation.

2. New surfacing mode. Since XNurbs does not restrict how a surface can be generated, so users are free to design surfaces with the most suitable method for their work.

We hope you will enjoy the software.

Kevin

X. Liu

Paul,

When you mentioned the Ctrl-Q issue, it had been processed and was under testing/evaluation. So we could release it any time, but I double checked with you and got no response.

It is our intention that everyone should be able to afford XNurbs, which is the most powerful and easiest-to-use NURBS software as we already said. When we lower our price, resellers think the margin is too low for them. In other words, we have to sell XNurbs directly. Hope people can understand this.

Kevin Quigley

I have been following this thread here and on the Rhino forum as well. First off, I'm not entirely sure what it is you are actually selling here? It appears to be a one hit wonder tool to replace the SolidWorks Fill Surface tool? Your website tells us nothing about the tool or the company behind it - so what is your background? Where is the company based etc?

There is a lot of hyperbole here and on the Rhino site about how fantastic the tool is but looking at the videos I'm not seeing it. Here's why - and this I think touches on what Paul said here and what Gustavo was getting at on the Rhino forum.

If you are designing a form, you need CONTROL. This tool offers no control over the transitions. The interface between two surfaces might well be G2 but (as can be seen in your own example patch at the bottom) that means nothing if the G" "joint" then accelerates into an ugly transition surface.

By control I mean, a designer wants to be able to adjust the shape of the surface that is being created beyond the joint zones. Demos of weird patches look interesting and I am very sure are technically excellent, but from a designer's point of view they offer nothing that we would want as the surfaces inside cannot be controlled. What we need are handles at the joints we can drag to reshape the transition surfaces, and the ability to directly select the CVs of the transiiton surface to tweak. Do this, and we can talk about quality surfacing.

Paul Salvador

Hello Kevin,... agree on who they are "About" on their site... and/also wish X.Liu (Kevin) was more open and less defensive.

xnx.png

X. Liu

Kevin,

As said in the original video ( http://www.xnurbs.com/download/XNurbs.mp4 ), filling a surface is a trivial application for XNurbs. Here is another video ( http://xnurbs.com/deforming ) that also addresses your question: how to control the surfaces inside or adjust the shape of the surface that is being created beyond the joint zones. Very simply: You just add constraints inside, which can be points or curves at any place.

For anyone who understands NURBS, the original video shows a shocking capacity – it means XNurbs has virtually unlimited capacity for NURBS modeling…

I know some may be curious about the background of this development. I can tell you, when I worked for one of the biggest CAD companies, there is a written agreement with the company that I 100% own the IP. After I left the company, we spent more than a decade to develop the tech! Now even we claim it is "the most powerful and easiest-to-use NURBS software ever developed", people, who understand NURBS, won't be able to argue it. (The R&D team within big CAD companies is full of PhD-level mathematicians. Obviously, we know where they are.)

Please read my response to Paul.

Kevin Quigley

With respect Kevin, I am sure you and your team are excellent developers but you do not seem to "get" what it is users actually need. This is not unusual amongst software developers (I have had long running battles with various teams over the years trying to explain why their perfectly engineered maths simply means nothing to users, as it is unusable). I m not arguing about the technology - that is irrelevant to us - I am arguing about the interface to that technology.

Let me explain.

All your videos show either edge selection, or some arbitrary point selection on a single surface patch. This is fine but what users who create high quality aesthetic surfaces require is the ability to control the shapes of single or linked surface patches via the surface control points. We also need to be able to see the density of the surface control points as this directly affects downstream usability and editability. How a surface flows from one area to another is what makes the difference between an ugly design and an outstanding design. In your current system, you just select edges and BAM, you get a patch, with no control on how that patch flows. In your latest video you show something more or less identical to the SolidWorks Freeform tool - which is possibly the worst tool in the surfacing toolbox as it has zero practical applications - it is purely there for demos to people who don't know any better. Controling one surface by an temporary added point is not control that is actually of any value.

Compare this to the Solid Works boundary surface tool where you can drag on handle in the preview to define the shape of the surface created as it leaves the edge. This is, by the way, a pretty poor way of doing this compared to a dedicated surfacing tool. Alias, Rhino, etc all have much better levels of control for these surfaces.

In summary, I like what you are showing - it interests me greatly - but to me it looks like an alpha technology demo rather than a defined product. Trust me when I say, I have participated in many technology preview phases over the years and a fraction ever make it into a final product. Your system reminds me of several I have tried - including one in particular from about 10+ years ago called FreeDimension Creative Design ... Editing a CAD model of a Corvette - YouTube

But Freedimension is better (from a users point of view) as you could apply handles to control edges and surfaces from edges.

I also come back to the company background. You are being deliberately vague. The website has no contact details so we don't know where you are located, even who you or your team are, yet you want payment? Sorry, no chance.

So I am quite sure you believe you have the best technology ever - most startups do, I know - but until you give us more information, and more options I am not inclined to fork out my hard earned cash for something I cannot investigate - and a 30 day trial is not what I mean.

X. Liu

Does it occur to you that the basic tech powering XNurbs is not something new? – It is an industrial-proven tech, called variational surfacing developed in 1990s ! Variational surfacing is the foundation of Catia surfacing and the key for its domination in surfacing. CAD users, e.g., Boeing, have proven the tech for 20 years! An alpha tech ? The result generated by variational surfacing is one among millions of possible solutions that is the smoothest. For human being, it is just impossible to find a better result. Do you think which variational surfacing is more powerful, XNurbs or Catia?

We are NOT looking for someone to re-prove the tech as professional CAD users have proven the tech for 20 years! We want to be sure that, if we claim “it is the most powerful and easiest-to-use NURBS software ever developed", no one, who understands NURBS, would argue about it.

Paul Salvador

X. Liu,..  dude relax, again, you are defensive,...you really need a píjiǔ.

Although xnurbs (patch tool) does a very good job (compared to Fill Surface).. we/users also want/need access to more control.. and as it is now the  Freeform tool we have sukx.. so it is normal/natural for us to ask..  "if" xnurbs can or will be extending these freeform capabilities using the variational system...  so, we can be truly FREE (zìyóu) or, if will only be a patch tool?

FreeDimension ("transfinite interploation modeler").. looking back.. it was interesting and in-line with how we create most of our surface patches within SolidWorks.. but it seems to have gone now where?...  regarding it being  "new tech".. I do not know anyhow,.. it had something they called NSS (n-sided-surfacing) and they controlled the boundaries/conditions/influence using their control curves..   it had potential!

As users, we are trying to understand where xnurbs is going and if/how we can invest/embrace it for our future....?

Xièxiè.

Kevin Quigley

I think your reply demonstrates my point better than anything I have said. On this forum, and on the Rhino forum, we are mainly all end users of the software. We use the software to create models that go on to be rendered, 3D printed, machined etc. Our output is the quality of our models and, ultimately, the product on sale in the shops. As a result, we simply do not care what the underlying technology is - we care about what we can achieve with the software, and how easy it is to create the shapes we want to create.

You are selling to end users not developers here. So offer us an interface to your "most powerful NURBS software" that lets us create shapes that we need - not how the software tells us. If you don't do that then try selling your system to SolidWorks directly so they can build the interface - after all that is precisely what they do best.

Currently, from what you have shown, you have a VERY limited application set that offers zero control over the final form. If you don't understand what I mean by this then I fear you don't get it. You have had many many people offering serious input into this here and on the Rhino forum and every time you come back with the same argument "it is the best". You need to understand that from a user's point of view it is not the best as it offers no control on the final form, apart from what you have hard coded in.

Over and out.

X. Liu

“offers zero control over the final form”

No. Users can fully control the final form by adding constraints inside. This following simple example shows how.

XNurbs creates a “lofting” or “sweeping” NURBS from three edge constraints.

ThreeEdgeLofting.png

To control the surfaces inside or adjust the shape of the surface beyond the joint zones, simply add three internal constraints.

ThreeEdgeLoftingWithInternalConstraints1.png

(Users can specify constraints at any place.)

Here is my question for you: you claim that you need manipulate the control points to further improve the surface (“the ability to control the shapes via the surface control points.”). As I already told you “The result generated by variational surfacing is one among millions of possible solutions that is the smoothest. For human being, it is just impossible to find a better result.”. While I don’t think your comments make any sense, I am sending the generated models to you (ThreeEdgeLofting.SLDPRT and ThreeEdgeLoftingWithThreeInternalConstraints.SLDPRT  . SW2017 models). Please show me how you could improve the generated surfaces by manipulating the control points? While the example is very simple, you have Zero chance to achieve what you claim. It is variational surfacing.

The forum is a mixture of end users, programming developers etc. We receive a number of private messages from Rhino users. Some told me there are good users, bad users, or even trolls in a forum.

Kevin Quigley

I wasn't going to waste my time replying to this, but I think it needs to be said.

I genuinely don't know what your issue is with very experience end users, who use these tools every day to design actual products, taking the time out to explain to you what it is they actually require in a surfacing tool. You just don't seem to get what we are saying, and frankly if you you are a developer who has spent 10+ years working on this then I strongly suggest you actually get out the office and go and visit some actual users and talk to them face to face, and LOOK at what they are doing. You simply cannot develop tools like these is a silo, sorry.

I'm not going to explain here any more what it is we need and you don't seem to get it, so my time is too valuable to waste on a forum post ping pong routine.

Finally, this forum, and the Rhino forum are PRIMARILY aimed at end users. SolidWorks employees, McNeel employees and independent developers use it, of course, but it is mainly end users on there trying to help others or find answers to issues they face. I happen to know several of the people on both forums personally and digitally (for a long time). There are some who come and complain yes, but most are there to get answers or explain issues. I suggest you delve into a user's posting history to see what experience they have.

We are asking some genuine questions that concern us about this add on - from basic stuff like company background to gving you valuable insight into what very experienced product designers actually look for in a tool like this - and all you come back with is vague statements and ridiculous challenges to us to try to better your surfaces.

I have run a design business for over 25 years - we have designed thousands of products - currently our products sell in over 40 countries and last year our customers sold over 50 million units of products we designed. Some were simple mechanical type designs, others were extremely complex surfaced designs. I think I am confident enough to say that I and the designers that work for me know what they expect in a surfacing product.

One of the guys responding to yo over on the Rhino forum used to be the head of design at a major multi national company in the USA - he ran a team of over 20 designers - all high end users. I don't know anyone else who knows more about production level product surfacing. I suggest you revisit that forum and listen, rather than posting me links to private messages on this, a public forum (which we can't read - they are private after all) from other users.

Good luck with your add on. I won't be buying it yet, if ever. I have been in this game long enough to have seen products come and go that all claimed to the best at what they did. The ones that succeeded were the ones that listened to what their user base actually needed - not what the developer told the users they needed. You might want to consdier that.

X. Liu

The message I posted is not a private message, but I remove the link as you suggest.

We are listening users’ feedback and plan to release a Rhino plugin. So Rhino users should be happy.

We don’t want to waste our time on this discussion either, but you suggest we should provide “the ability to control the shapes via the surface control points”. You won’t make such a suggestion if you understand variational surfacing. Thank you for your feedback anyway.

All the best.

Paul Salvador

Kevin..  re: FreeDimension..   can't find anything new on them since 2007..... they were based in Colorado?....  I'm guess'n they took the $ and started a cannabis farm?

...ok,.. found something patented a few years ago,...

https://www.google.com/patents/US8836701

Kevin Quigley

I'm not sure what happened to them Paul. Their founder was Dick Sowar, who used to be CEO of Spatial. I ran a version of it in the early phases. They were around at a similar time to the Tspline guys, and both technologies were looking for a way in to the bigger market. Free Dimension was I think planned to be a freestanding application initially (certainly the verion I had was). I "think" that the technology was bought but not sure by who...but Autodesk did demo something like this  at at Autodesk University around 2008 so the timing fits, but we've not seen any outcome of that as yet.

In any case it was an interesting system - kind of a competitor to TSplines but in many respects had more potential. Dassault also have something similar in their Natural Sketch product in CATIA v6 - How to sketch a 3D curve with CATIA Natural Sketch? - YouTube

X. Liu

Paul,

FreeDimension is based on some new geometry, which is NOT NURBS. CAD surfacing is based on NURBS. The two types of geometries (FreeDimension and NURBS) are NOT compatible. This is why, as said by Kevin Quigley, Free Dimension was planned to be a standalone application initially. It is more like that someone develops a new tool for SubD or polygon modeling, would it work for NURBS or CAD? No. FreeDimension itself is irrelevant for NURBS modeling or CAD surfacing.

The underlying technology determines what users can achieve with the software …

Paul Salvador

X. Liu,..  again, you can really skirt around the issues and be defensive and not answer questions.

ok, sure, understand it is different and not nurbs based but can export/interpolate nurbs surfaces... and from what I recall, T-Splines is not nurbs based but generates interpolates nurbs data from the sub-d geometry?

FD was a reference in what would be relative to the needs of manipulation of the boundaries or patches.

What you show xnurbs doing above, adding curve/points, is very similar to what Fill Surface does now.. but, agree,.. much better.

Our question was if there are plans to provide freeform tools within xnurbs so we can directly manipulate the xnurbs surface?

If not.. then, xnurbs will forever only be a better Fill Surface?  ( and it will forever be a dependent on the xnurbs addon to edit)

X. Liu

Paul,

"xnurbs will forever only be a better Fill Surface?"

Do you try to use XNurbs for other applications, e.g., lofting, Boundary Surfaces, or blending etc.? The example above is kind of similar to lofting - if you change internal constraints to a "Y" shape as shown below, you will get a Y lofting surface. (I am asking the author of "Edge Ripples in Boundary Surfaces " to send me his models and show "XNurbs can solve all kinds of problems SolidWorks may have in surfacing creation.". It looks like he has a lot of cases as he mentioned "creating smooth surfacing (and then battling the heartburn)". If I get the models, I will show you how easy the problems can be solved.)

Y.png

" FreeDimension can export/interpolate nurbs surfaces"

So whether FreeDimension is useful for CAD is determined by its geometry conversion, but they don't have any good method to get it done. (I can tell you more...)

"T-Splines is not nurbs based but generates interpolates nurbs data from the sub-d geometry."

Compared with FreeDimension, T-Splines geometries are relatively easier to convert to NURBS. However, comparing with Catia marketing share, which heavily uses variational surfacing, T-Splines marketing share is negligible. So it may be obvious which tech is the key for CAD surfacing.

"directly manipulate the xnurbs surface"

XNurbs allows you to manipulate surfaces by changing its constraints (once constraints are changed, XNurbs features will be updated automatically). I guess what you want is a deforming tool - drag some constraints and XNurbs shows a deformable modeling. It is very simple to adopt this UI and we can get it done within a couple of weeks, but are you sure it is a good idea? We may need to get some feedbacks from Rhino community - they do provide valuable feedbacks.

Using Kevin Quigley's suggestion as an example (I am sure his intention is good): (1) "control the shapes via the surface control points." As discussed above, it may make no sense for variational surfacing; (2) "the density of the surface control points". XNurbs can automatically generate the lightest surface, i.e., minimum number of control points - some users already comment XNurbs needs 10% control points and generates better surfaces. (3) "control the final form" as the example above shows, XNurbs can get it done easily - just select or specify some constraints.

If you think a deforming tool is a good idea, then we will try to get more feedback for this.

X. Liu

Kevin,

Thank you very much for starting a new thread and your kind words for XNurbs (XNurbs - further investigations ). Yes, this thread got lost. I will address questions in the thread you created.

Best Regards

The other Kevin