11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2017 1:39 PM by Jim Wilkinson

Solidworks Auto Recovery

Habib Ghalamkari

I know that solidworks' auto recovery has been a problem for ever, but recently I'm facing a different scenario.

After a crash, when I launch solidworks I receive a message that solidworks has recovered several files.

But when I click Open All button, I receive another message that says the file was not found.

What does it mean? If the files don't exist, why the message says solidworks has recovered the files?

2017-11-28_9-19-29.gif

I hardly have a crash. maybe once in a month or even less. But whenever solidworks crashes, the situation doesn't change. I receive the recovery message and then they are not found.....

Of course I go to the mentioned directory and delete the .swar extension and recover it manually. But still I can't understand why Solidworks says the files were not found.

• Re: Solidworks Auto Recovery
          Solid Air

Looks like some type of bug to me.  SW saves file with a swar extension and then searches for the part with and sldprt extension (when you press the open all button).  However, I found that if I double click on the file in the list window the file will open.  Better send that one off to your VAR (I would but my work is not officially on SW2018 yet). 

Solid Air

Also found if you single click on it, then click open all, the file opens also

Jim Wilkinson

Solid Air wrote:

Also found if you single click on it, then click open all, the file opens also

Solid Air, did you try clicking Open All without clicking on anything and you encountered the same problem as Habib? Because I just tested this and Open All works for me. I forced auto-recover to come up by doing the following:

1) New session of SOLIDWORKS 2018.

2) Set the auto-recover time to 1 minute.

3) Opened the auto-recover folder so I can monitor to be sure the files did in fact get saved.

4) Created two new parts.

5) Waited for them to show up in the auto-recover folder.

6) Killed SOLIDWORKS through Task Manager.

Then when I opened SOLIDWORKS, it listed the two files for autorecover. Clicking Open All worked fine to open both of them.

So there must be something else going on for Habib (and you too if it happened for you).

If so, is there anything specific about the files? Do they have references to one another like derived parts or anything else "special" about them?

Thanks,
                Jim

Solid Air

Jim,

My procedure was identical to yours except step 4; I opened two existing parts and suppressed the last feature to force them to be backed up.

I did some more experimentation this morning.

I have 6 versions of SolidWorks installed on my computer.  Before investigating Habib's issue, I had been using both SW2014 and SW2016.  On the off chance that is had something to do with it, I rebooted my computer and only ran SW2018.  Same result.

Okay so what else may be different?  My system is running Windows 8.1 with an un-certified graphics card.  I have two work test computers with SW2018 pre-release on them so I will trying running.

My last tests may have revealed the issue.  I found that if I only click the open all button after SolidWorks opens, I get the same message Habib did.  However, if I first click on the Welcome dialog in a blank space (not inside the list window), then click the open all button, the files open without issue.  So it might be a focus issue.  Unfortunately, I have run out of time this morning to test further.

I ask you to verify that if you just click on the open all button, and nothing else, once SolidWorks opens, the auto-recover files open properly.

Jim Wilkinson

Solid Air wrote:

Jim,

My procedure was identical to yours except step 4; I opened two existing parts and suppressed the last feature to force them to be backed up.

I did some more experimentation this morning.

I have 6 versions of SolidWorks installed on my computer. Before investigating Habib's issue, I had been using both SW2014 and SW2016. On the off chance that is had something to do with it, I rebooted my computer and only ran SW2018. Same result.

Okay so what else may be different? My system is running Windows 8.1 with an un-certified graphics card. I have two work test computers with SW2018 pre-release on them so I will trying running.

My last tests may have revealed the issue. I found that if I only click the open all button after SolidWorks opens, I get the same message Habib did. However, if I first click on the Welcome dialog in a blank space (not inside the list window), then click the open all button, the files open without issue. So it might be a focus issue. Unfortunately, I have run out of time this morning to test further.

I ask you to verify that if you just click on the open all button, and nothing else, once SolidWorks opens, the auto-recover files open properly.

Thanks for the clarity. I was able to reproduce it with that and find it is logged as SPR# 1036432 and already fixed for SOLIDWORKS 2018 SP02. It was indeed related to focus on the list box/dialog and was actually there in previous releases too.

Thanks,

Jim

Solid Air

Looks like someone at SW forgot about the open all button; it is not listed in help