49 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2018 7:21 AM by Johnathan Kearney

SW2018 - How's the stability?

Chris Berry

There seems to be (or I cannot find) much feedback from those who have jumped on to 2018.

I was wondering if those who are using it, what’s the general consensus? Good, Average, quick or slow? We are currently using SW2016 SP5 & was about to jump to 2017 early this year but then the whole 'file corrupt' saga started & I wasn’t going to risk it.

So, what are people’s opinions of it?

Thanks.

• Re: SW2018 - How's the stability?
          Andy Sanders

I've been wondering the same.  Maybe it is better/more stable, therefore no one is jumping in here to complain?

Ronald van Til

Been using it since almost the start. I think it's OK, experienced a few crashes but not more than with 2017 - maybe even less. Seems better to me than the start of 2017, which was bad with my / our systems - could be simple luck. Some nice improvements, speed seems very good to me (did no benchmarking or something).

I'm giving it thumbs up.

Have not used simulation or EPDM in 2018 yet though.

Chris Berry

That's good.

Currently we are only using Solidworks CAD & not EPDM, Simulation etc, so any issues with other add-ons in the forums I just ignore.

btw, Am I right in saying that 2018 SP1 is due out mid December?

Scott Boerman

Have been using 2018 Standard (no PDM) for about a month, thumbs up.  Switched early to use the bounding box, but found several other little things that are helpful, although they escape me right now.

Regarding stability, it's a bit worse than 2017 SP4.  Mainly when exporting to step it frequently crashes - but on restart the export is fine.  And there are occasional crashes while modeling, but very few.  I'm hopeful for SP1 to be a bit more stable, should be out soon it seems.

Paul Jones

Stable, no anything but. SP00 crashes and glitchy, SP01 still glitchy but crashes less.  SP02 four crashes today since updating yesterday, none of the glitches that were not in 2017 have been remedied.  If I could go back to 2016 SP5 I would in a heartbeat

John Stoltzfus

Been awesome here

Chris Saller

This question has come up every version every year for the past 20 years.

IMO, it's as stable as the admin installs it.

I always install it, test it, and make sure everything is good with the install before sending out the install to all users.

No issues here.

Rick Becker

2018 is the best, most stably version I have used.

Recommended.

Matt Lombard

I had one crash that repeated several times (opening assembly from a drawing view), but after a reboot it stopped happening. That's in 5 months of light use. The perennial bugs and non-bug problems with new functionality are about on par with other releases, so if that's ok then its ok. I don't understand how some of the problems live from release to release when they are adding such esoteric redundancies in the software.

Paul Jones

Stay with 2016 rev 05.  If you like the ability of drawings to update, correct information coming through to your parts lists and assemblies updating when you change a part dimension, DO NOT go to 2018

Chris Saller

Paul,

I have used every version and SP since 2016 SP05 up to 2018. I create models and drawings daily without issues.

There are no problems going to 2018, unless you create them yourself. Sorry.

Paul Jones

I have had to leave the response to this for a couple of days as I was apoplectic.  I have used SW since 2008 utilising the majority of features for product design and presentation, I am not a novice!  I have spend hours with the VAR detailing issues and them being logged for fixing with SW. 

I am answering the original question utilising my experience and also compiling the feedback from the 4 guys that work on SW who are all extremely competent users from a variety of industries. 

In future I do not feel this forum is the place to make huge assumptions and sweeping statements, please stick to the facts that you are able to back up

Chris Saller

Paul,

I make no assumptions or accusations, I only go by experience. I have been an admin of SolidWorks since it came out.

It's a sensitive program, if you follow procedures and treat it right, have the correct hardware/OS/etc, there will be no issues.

Jim Steinmeyer

Chris Saller wrote:

Paul,

I make no assumptions or accusations, I only go by experience. I have been an admin of SolidWorks since it came out.

It's a sensitive program, if you follow procedures and treat it right, have the correct hardware/OS/etc, there will be no issues.

Unfortunately, SW has so many different ways of doing something and there are enough shortcomings that require workarounds that it can be very difficult to treat it right.

Paul Jones

So the crash I've just had re-referencing a new file is not a glitch when it crashes.  Tried it again after the crash, not an issue!  SW is a good program but you'd have to have rose tinted goggles to not think it's unstable and glitchy

John Stoltzfus

The SW Glasses

The Rose Colored Glasses

That I'm looking through

Only tell me that in SW

You need to know what to do

Have you ever tried

To produce Models that are true

Eliminating Circular Rebuilds

Are one of the things you need to do

Training is always best

Willing to learn something new

Having Errors and Forest Fires

Can't help but make one feel blue

You need to apply Design Intent

Before you say SW goes Booo

Using controlling Sketches

Make my models always true

The Rose Colored Glasses

That I'm Looking through

Are all how I approach it

And I know what to do

M. D.

Blame the victim.  Solidworks bugs and crashes our own fault!

John Stoltzfus

M. D.  wrote:

Blame the victim. Solidworks bugs and crashes our own fault!

At least you admit it - - It is very rare that I say, "I wonder what made that happen"

Yeah - I may come across as a jerk, which I probably am, but seriously, there are better ways to use SW - I wish I could have you sit with me for a day, or a week and you'll know what I'm talking about.  I said it before and I'll say it again, most (a huge percentage), most issues are caused by the operator, period.  Go back a bit and don't use all the new fangled stuff that SW marketing tries to shove down our gullet, go back to what works, who cares if it takes a tad longer to do the model initially and in the end you have a model that works and is stable..  

David Matula

YEP NOTING LIKE THE OLD SCHOOL WAY OF DOING SOME THINGS...

I tried to use mouse gestors the other day and it crashed.... not really....but i could see it happening.....

Rick McDonald

John Stoltzfus wrote:

..., but seriously, there are better ways to use SW - I wish I could have you sit with me for a day, or a week and you'll know what I'm talking about. ...

You could do a presentation at SWW19 in Dallas next Feb.    I'm sure you would pack the room. 

Could even make it 2 sessions - "Into to SSP" and "Advanced SSP"

I would definitely be there.

Jim Steinmeyer

Rick McDonald wrote:

John Stoltzfus wrote:

..., but seriously, there are better ways to use SW - I wish I could have you sit with me for a day, or a week and you'll know what I'm talking about. ...

You could do a presentation at SWW19 in Dallas next Feb. I'm sure you would pack the room.

Could even make it 2 sessions - "Into to SSP" and "Advanced SSP"

I would definitely be there.

I would start a SWUG in order to be able to make that!

Neville Williams

John Stoltzfus wrote:

.... Go back a bit and don't use all the new fangled stuff that SW marketing tries to shove down our gullet, go back to what works, who cares if it takes a tad longer to do the model initially...

Agree wholeheartedly with this John - but this program has a sh*tload of annoyances and inconsistencies that should be polished and just plain fixed but are never addressed.

• (annoyance) splitting bills of materials - the tables below the split have a mind of their own when trying to line them up both horizontally and having all lines 'align'
                                                            • (annoyance & inconsistency) Bills of materials that have a neat little icon telling you which items have ballons but they havn't bothered about it for weldment cutlists
                                                            • (inconsistency) Some dialog boxes can be stretched out to see what the full line of text is others ... well you just have to guess what the last 10 characters are...
                                                            • etc etc

and it just goes on an on.

I loaded 2018 and crashes seem about par for course still.

From where I'm sitting, I kind of get the impression that the fluff and 'new fangled stuff' that is constantly being shovelled into this program, by the truckload, is slowly choking the program and turning into a frankenstein - and we all know that ended badly...!

I've been a user since early 2000's and do fairly large assemblies. In training courses, the often promoted SWX methodology of in context is great - but by heck you can get in deep do-do's if you get to carried away with it.

I've been trying to unpick someone elses highly 'incontexted' (circular refs ??) assembly, there seem to be precious few tools (are there any to track problems down?) to unwind out of a constantly rebuilding assembly. This causes the drawing views to constantly throw up out of sync hatch..... maybe some AI??....

This is why I might seem to be a bit cranky right now

although

I think AI still has a way to go...

Paul Risley

Installation process for 2018 as all others complete clean installation(Registry wipe/ Settings backed up etc).

Common workflow customer provided Step files building tooling based around those models.

We use virtual assemblies/ parts for most design building.

Average top level assembly 10-15 subs with between 10-20 parts per. So on average 100-200 individual parts not including purchased parts so I would say our average assembly is at 250 parts.

The only crash I can report of Solidworks 2018 Sp01 was a pattern driven feature crashed it. (This was operator error primarily, trying to pattern a bolt with modelled threads across a whole assembly.)

I have been working on bigger assemblies the last 3 weeks or so upwards of 1000 total parts and all virtual components except for purchased parts. I have noticed pretty decent re-build times. Save times are on par if not a little faster than 2017.

If you check the topics about corruption, I was one of the people in those discussions. We were on the phone with our VAR every other day about the corrupt files.

So as far as jumping from 2016 to 2018 I wouldn't hesitate.

Neville Williams

I never install anything with SP0 after it.