4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 5, 2017 2:30 PM by Mark Keown

Heat dissipation air-seawater

Daniele Todaro

Hi All,

Please I need your help to solve the attached problem.

Basically I need to analyse the heat dissipation of a LED board placed inside a light fixture.

The light fixture is fitted onto a boat and it is placed below the water level.

Therefore, the heath dissipation is going to be in air (inside the boat) and in water for the part of the light in contact with it.

This should help me to understand either the material used or the design are sufficient to dissipate enough heath or if they need any amends.

Many thanks in advance

Dan

• Re: Heat dissipation air-seawater
          Daniele Todaro

Hi All,

Isn't anybody able to help me?

Thanks

Daniele

Mark Keown

Dan,

I think your question is very open ended - better to ask a question that is a bit narrower.

Have you gone through all the Flow Simulation tutorials?  This is the starting point.

I suspect that your heat transfer path is PCBA, housing, seal?, hull and water.

What is the power on the LED?

Is there a seal?

Is the housing Stainless?

Post the assembly.

Daniele Todaro

Hi Mark,

Please see attached file with some added information.

I am afraid but I cannot post either any CAD data or section.

One of the things that I cannot do is to set up a two media environment that is basically a boat in the sea.Heat_Dissipation.jpg

I look forward to hearing fro you

Thanks in advance

Daniele

Mark Keown

Daniele,

At 80W this will be a challenge.

Make the hull larger - say 1 x 1 meter.  Then make your computational domain slightly smaller so the hull sticks out of the computational domain on all sides say by 10 mm.  If your default fluid is air then use Fluid Subdomain and pick the surface on the water side.

First I wold think that first setting up a simple resistor network will give you more incite into where the heat is going and what components to address.  When you are satisfied with the resistor network then move to Flow Simulation.  Most of the time it is much easier to see the thermal issues with the resistor network than in CFD.

You can contact me at mark@ecooliingsolutions.net if you prefer.