3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 27, 2017 7:28 AM by John Pesaturo

What to do after CSWE

Tong Thai Hoang

Hi guys,

I am a mechanical engineer, who has just graduated from the university. I'm pretty new to the industry and have little idea what they desire.

Recently, I just passed the CSWE exam. But I do not know what to do next.

List of things I have in my mind :

- Get certified at AutoCAD

- Learn Solidworks motion

- Learn  Solidworks render (Visualise/Photoview)

- Maybe learn CFD because I used it in my thesis, but CFD is only limited to R&D jobs.

- Become a Solidworks geek by making more and more projects.

Thank you guys for your time.

Regards,

Hoang.

• Re: What to do after CSWE
          Roger Ikonen

How about get a job in a field your interested in that your able to use the skills you've learned and get real life experience. You're going to find it's not what all your professors have been telling you it is.

• Re: What to do after CSWE
            John Pesaturo

Tong Thai Hoang, first off ... Congratulations, that's quite the achievement there. Good for you. That's something to be proud of.

Now, think of what Roger has said and get out there and find something you can be passionate about. It will make the upcoming years that much better for you and everyone around you. With so many engineering disciplines out there you're likely to find a few that truly peak your interest.

J. Mather, I'm guessing Roger is simply referring to the same issue many of us have come across in school. Almost everywhere I've attended I've been told that "These are just the basics to get you into the field. The company that hires you on will have there own standards and procedures as to what is done and how they want to see it."

I too thought that my schooling did little to prepare me for what was in store, though I got off course and had to find my way back as it were. I had gone to school to become a Structural Engineer (I simply always loved Bridges and the mechanics behind Skyscrapers and keeping them standing) though about one year from graduation I was told those positions simply didn't exist in the New England area and was asked how I felt about cabinet design. (That was a big red flag right there) I was fortunate in the regard that my course load was virtually identical to what would have been required for Mechanical Engineering instead of Architectural Engineering and was allowed to "dual degree" with the addition of a few more Engineering courses.