9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 27, 2017 10:31 AM by Todd Blacksher

Dimensions of edge before fillets and chamfer

Wesley Ellgass

Hello all,

I am attempting to show the dimensions in a solid works imported drawing of a simple housing and am having some difficulty. The edges that I need to dimension off of have been filleted, and the entire part has been drafted on four sides. Every way that I have tried to dimension this part has failed because the original sketch lines are hard for me to locate. I  have tried to use the point of intersection but that yields far off numbers. Unfortunately me showing a sketch of the edges before the chamfer and fillet will not be acceptable, which does work. I will attach my part and drawing. Please help.

Thank you,

Wesley

• Re: Dimensions of edge before fillets and chamfer
          Kyle Craig

Hi Wesley,

I'm not quite sure where exactly you want the dimension extension lines to land.

Generally I think dimensioning to the virtual sharps is the common approach here.

a nice quick way to get the virtual sharps is select two edges together (hold control to get them both selected) and click on the point tool within the sketch toolbar.

Todd Blacksher

Kyle's apparent intersection trick is one of my favorites, I use it all of the time.

There is another method you might be interested in - while you are in the dimension tool, click the first edge/line, then when you need the apparent intersection for the other leg of the dimension, right click on one of the lines and select "Find Intersection" - this will allow you to select the other line to complete the intersection.

It might take a little practice to get used to this method, and it may not work for all situations, but it is really handy.

(It is basically a way to use Kyle's method on the fly.)

todd

Wesley Ellgass

I have tried this method, but it seems the edge I used to create the part is not close to the edge of intersection after the fillet. I have in the image attached dimensions it the way you demonstrate, then I dimension it with a sketch shown of the edges before the fillet. As you can see they are pretty far off.

dims.JPG

Jason Young

looks as if you are selecting the curve (fillet)....

can you not select overall dimensions of the curves (fillets)??

Todd Blacksher

I modeled a similar part and created a drawing -

You can use the "Find Intersection" for both sides, just right click the outermost lines for both sides.

(or use Kyle's tip, and Ctrl-Select the outermost lines, then click on point.)

Outermost dimension at the base.

Wesley Ellgass

The image is the front view of a housing that has the front edges filleted, while the part has been drafted as well. So the measurements of 3.000 and 1.500 are what I want. But the method I used was to show the sketch of the edges before the fillets, but I can not keep it this way. I need some other way to find those measurements. I have tried to measure off of the fillets intersections, but that gives me 3.108 and 1.554.

Todd Blacksher

Wesley Ellgass wrote:

The image is the front view of a housing that has the front edges filleted, while the part has been drafted as well. So the measurements of 3.000 and 1.500 are what I want. But the method I used was to show the sketch of the edges before the fillets, but I can not keep it this way. I need some other way to find those measurements. I have tried to measure off of the fillets intersections, but that gives me 3.108 and 1.554.

I see what you are saying now - You would like to dimension to the apparent intersection of the fillets and the draft . . .

We might want to have J. Mather chime in on this, but I'm going to tell you that having someone verify the dimensional integrity of a part to a tolerance of .001" only using apparent intersections is a really bad idea.

Think about the issues you are having finding a way to pull the dimensions on the print, and then put yourself in the shoes of the person that is going to be inspecting the part - how are they going to measure it?

Please don't take this the wrong way, remember - We are also trying to help prepare you for "real world applications"

todd

Jason Young

I have been known to draw a sketch on the drawing, using the part....

I can the easily attached dimensions.

you could try using the filter at the bottom set to snap to the entity you require point, line, face....

Jason Young

Hold shift when selecting the edges???

Worked for me.