52 Replies Latest reply on Apr 9, 2018 5:38 PM by Matt Lombard

SolidWork Books?

Silvester Villadoble

I'm relatively new to Solidworks. I work with AutoCAD for a living but no 3D. I took an entry level SolidWorks Course at my local community college so I have learned to get around with the program a bit, but I'm far from using the program effectively. I wanted to know on recommendations of Solidwork Books that can help me learn more about the program and use each command effectively. I currently have no time in my schedule to take another course but I would like to keep learning the program. Thanks in advance!

• Re: SolidWork Books?
          Maha Nadarasa

This is up to individual. I do not prefer books instead I prefer audiovisual aid. In my view audiovisual is more effective than books.

You can try this following link. There is frequent reduced cost offer. As you are a beginner this is helpful.

https://www.udemy.com/

This will be very basic for beginners

https://www.udemy.com/solidwokrs-go-from-nothing-to-certified-associate-level/learn/v4/overview

Glenn Schroeder

If you want a book I'd suggest getting one of the SolidWorks Bibles written by Matt Lombard.  He stopped writing them a few years ago, but there's still a lot of good information in them.

Deepak Gupta

Glenn Schroeder wrote:

If you want a book I'd suggest getting one of the SolidWorks Bibles written by Matt Lombard. He stopped writing them a few years ago, but there's still a lot of good information in them.

Matt's new book is coming soon titled "Mastering SOLIDWORKS" which would based on SOLIDWORKS 2018.

Jehan Kothari

When it is going to get released? ANy idea?

Matt Lombard

This spring, probably. I'm getting through the update. Lots of stuff to add, and all the screen shots have to be redone. There are a couple thousand images to do. Takes a long time to do 1200 pages.

Jehan Kothari

Okk...thanks a lot for replying. I read you are editing 2013 bible also..both will be out By this spring?

And do i need to buy 2013 after buying 2018? Please throw some light on hoe both will be different.☺

P.S. I really admire your indepth knowledge and expertise  . Have been following you on LinkedIn and dezignstuff. I have learned a lot.

❤ from india!!

DJ Saunders

Will the new book cover lots on surfacing or should I get your other book for that?

Matt Lombard

DJ Saunders wrote:

Will the new book cover lots on surfacing or should I get your other book for that?

It touches about a chapter worth of surfacing. About 30-40 pages. So it's not 600 pages like the book. The surfacing book is by now about 10 years old. I'm trying to convince my publisher to update it, but the volume tends to be low (even though its the one book I get most questions about). In the past 10 years, there have been some improvements to splines, and curves, and a few other things, like some of the new reverse engineering stuff, but the old book is still relevant for the basics. Its only available as an ebook now.

Jason Young wrote:

is there an expected release date for 2018 yet??

No. I think late spring. I'm still working through the main revision. Still have all the edits to look through. Then the publisher takes their time putting it together. I'll be sure to get on here and let you know when it's ready or up on Amazon.

Rick McDonald

Hi Matt.

Back when I got my first books (2011) there was the large "Parts and Drawings" book and separately the Assemblies book.

Is this one going to be all inclusive ( Parts, Drawings and Assemblies).  I know you said the Surfacing is not currently being updated, but I didn't recall seeing what this one would include / exclude.

Do you know if this will be published in both paperback and e-book (I suspect it will).

E-books are easier when traveling or looking up something when at a computer or tablet, but sometimes kicking back with a real book (and a batch of post-it notes is better.  Will there be support files (of part, assemblies...) on disk as well ? If so, will they be in 2018 format or will they be open-able in earlier SWX versions (unfortunately I am still on 2015), I expect they will be 2018, but maybe it could include para-solid formats as well so we could use those to some degree on earlier versions - just a thought.

Matt Lombard

The Parts and Assemblies books were joined back into one. Apparently the publisher didn't make as much money on 2 books as they did on the single one, so all the info is going into the one book. Surfacing might get a green light, but my publishers...aren't very... optimistic about that right now.

I'm sure there will be both e and paper versions. Extra data will be downloadable. No previous versions. This will have 2018 data. If it has previous version stuff, it's a mistake. Lots of download files. Over 60 meg for the last chapter I worked on, and there are 40 chapters. Might also have some movies for each chapter.

Also, the book will not be named "2018 Bible". They went with the lower connotation "Mastering SolidWorks 2018". So different name, but its just the updated version.

Artem Shian

Very useful book!

Silvester Villadoble

I will definitely will look into his books. Thanks for the recommendation.

Tony Cantrell

FYI, Matt's books are not for beginners.

Maha Nadarasa

When a person is suggesting learning material for someone his/her standard of the subject must be taken into account otherwise he/she can hate the subject. I had bitter experience in this. Advanced books for beginners may end up he/she hates the subject.     

Dave Bear

Tony Cantrell wrote:

FYI, Matt's books are not for beginners.

With all due respect Tony, I would have to disagree with that comment to a certain degree. Whilst I believe (and agree) that it is actually written somewhere that Matt's books rely on the person having a certain basic understanding of SolidWorks (or at least understanding all of the tutorials) I personally have learnt so much on subjects that I hadn't ventured into yet.

Dave.

Shad Thomas

There are many solutions to your training problem. First and foremost is your VAR. They should be able to provide all the necessary training you need, often available online or in person at a training center or at your location. There are plenty of books available through amazon and what have you that are fine for working at your own pace. There is also the my.solidworks training. I've often used this to help reinforce learning through other means or to get a good precursor of what something entails before committing to major training expenses. There is also the solidprofessor training. So ultimately you have quite a few options out there. All are worth looking into. Training really is the key to success with this software.

Dan Schleicher

Silvester,

I have used Solidworks for Designer for years. It is a good book overall. But you have to look at what you want to learn. Alot of the basics are different per person. I teach how to be more efficient. What is the best way to model something. Autocad users use the lower left hand corner. What is the design intent? What would be the best way to modify your model later on. Do you want your dimensions to come over from the model?

Edward Poole

Silvester Villadoble, start with the SOLIDWORKS Tutorials, this will at least give you a solid footing to start, before you branch off into doing your own thing! I was an ACAD expert back in 1998 when the boss walked by , threw a large pile of books on my desk, and said; "you have a week to learn it..." as he walked away. I did! Now everything is on-line, but it's pretty much the same stuff. Now, almost 20 years later, I've come-up through the ranks, and I still learn new stuff every day! Good luck!

David Matula

Books are a good source.  The help file used to be good...kind of in question now.....USER GROUPS are a great way to learn more about the program too.  Other SolidWorks events are also great places to learn.  Rollouts let you know some of the new features that are coming out.  SolidWorks world is a wealth of knowledge with presenters and guys that know how to do all kinds of neat things with the program.  

I even heard that there are some (U tube?) videos out there.  SolidWorks for dummies was an interesting book great read for any cad user.

Dave Bear

I can vouch for Glenn's comment about the books written by Matt Lombard as I am currently going through his 2013 Bible and although it was written a few years ago it's material is still as relevant today as ever. I have already learnt so much and I'm not even a third of the way through the book yet. I'm also lead to believe that quite a few people still keep this book as a "go-to" reference. Of course, if you have the latest version of SolidWorks you may prefer to wait until Matt's new book is released as Deepak indicated.

Also, don't underestimate the power of the in-built tutorials that came with your SolidWorks. These can show you quite a bit.

Dave.

Matt Lombard

Thanks for all the comments. My 2018 book is in progress. It's going to be over 1200 pages, and include download materials, templates, sample models, and videos for each chapter (40+ chapters). A beginner could benefit from them, but they are really meant to take you where other stuff doesn't take you. You can watch Youtube til you're silly, but it will only take you so far. The reason the book is so big is because there is a lot of detail that you won't find in other books. Right now I'm updating the 2013  book, which takes a lot of changes. If all you want to know is the basics, stick to youtube. Its fast and dirty. I'm a little obsessed with detail. If you make use of settings and options, or want to know why in addition to how, this book might be good for you. Sometimes I forget that there are 4 years worth of new SW users that don't know my stuff. You can check out my blog (dezignstuff.com) for updates and topics written as I update the book.

It's hard to say when the 2018 book will be available, but I'd guess March. The 2013 book is still available and about 75% relevant.

By the way, Alin Vargatu is helping with the book, which means even more 'Works wisdom.

Maha Nadarasa

Is your book available in e-book format?

Maha Nadarasa

Could you explain please what is meant by videos for each chapter?

Glenn Schroeder

Matt Lombard wrote:

Thanks for all the comments. My 2018 book is in progress. It's going to be over 1200 pages, and include download materials, templates, sample models, and videos for each chapter (40+ chapters). A beginner could benefit from them, but they are really meant to take you where other stuff doesn't take you. You can watch Youtube til you're silly, but it will only take you so far. The reason the book is so big is because there is a lot of detail that you won't find in other books. Right now I'm updating the 2013 book, which takes a lot of changes. If all you want to know is the basics, stick to youtube. Its fast and dirty. I'm a little obsessed with detail. If you make use of settings and options, or want to know why in addition to how, this book might be good for you. Sometimes I forget that there are 4 years worth of new SW users that don't know my stuff. You can check out my blog (dezignstuff.com) for updates and topics written as I update the book.

It's hard to say when the 2018 book will be available, but I'd guess March. The 2013 book is still available and about 75% relevant.

By the way, Alin Vargatu is helping with the book, which means even more 'Works wisdom.

Matt,

I don't disagree with you, exactly, but from answering questions here I believe beginners can learn a lot of bad habits from youtube videos if they aren't careful.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't anyone post them, even if they don't know nearly as much as they think they do?

Glenn

Dan Pihlaja

Glenn Schroeder wrote:

Matt Lombard wrote:

Thanks for all the comments. My 2018 book is in progress. It's going to be over 1200 pages, and include download materials, templates, sample models, and videos for each chapter (40+ chapters). A beginner could benefit from them, but they are really meant to take you where other stuff doesn't take you. You can watch Youtube til you're silly, but it will only take you so far. The reason the book is so big is because there is a lot of detail that you won't find in other books. Right now I'm updating the 2013 book, which takes a lot of changes. If all you want to know is the basics, stick to youtube. Its fast and dirty. I'm a little obsessed with detail. If you make use of settings and options, or want to know why in addition to how, this book might be good for you. Sometimes I forget that there are 4 years worth of new SW users that don't know my stuff. You can check out my blog (dezignstuff.com) for updates and topics written as I update the book.

Matt,

I don't disagree with you, exactly, but from answering questions here I believe beginners can learn a lot of bad habits from youtube videos if they aren't careful. Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't anyone post them, even if they don't know nearly as much as they think they do?

Glenn

Yes, anyone can post anything.    If the YouTube people get to it....then they will be censored if needed.....but not always.

This is part of the reason why I only access YouTube if another person is present (accountability) 

Matt Lombard

Yeah, well, that's kind of the thing with the internet. Anybody can do it. Truth be known, just because someone can publish a book doesn't make what they say right either. Worse than that, every situation may have right answers that are wrong answers in a different context. That's one of the things I try to point out in the books, that there are a lot of right answers. The real judge is if you get correct and timely results.

Silvester Villadoble mentioned a book on design intent. That's a great idea. I just finished that chapter in the book, and I'm writing a blog post to go along with it that should be up in a couple of days. It might surprise most of you to know that I'm not a big fan of the history-based methods for design intent. I think history-free methods are a big improvement for certain kinds of models, but that gets into competitive products, so I'll leave that discussion for another time. This is something I could talk about for days, but I'd get sick of it in an hour or two. I actually did write a book that you can get for free on history-free design intent. Google  "history-free design intent matt lombard" and take the 3rd one down. "Compare history-based CAD..."

Other concepts you can check out in design intent are Horizontal Modeling (http://www.3dcadworld.com/going-horizontal/)

and Resilient Modeling (http://learnRMS.com). These are CAD-neutral methods you can adopt (not developed by me).

The book talks about history-based design intent because that's the only kind of design intent SW can do.

Maha Nadarasa

Matt Lombard wrote:

You can watch Youtube til you're silly, but it will only take you so far. The reason the book is so big is because there is a lot of detail that you won't find in other books. Right now I'm updating the 2013 book, which takes a lot of changes. If all you want to know is the basics, stick to youtube. Its fast and dirty.

I do not agree with your statement. Individual person uploading a video can have lack of knowledge in particular subject area that does not mean the entire YouTube is crap.

For example suppose you are uploading a video in YouTube I am sure it will not come in a crap category.

As a person gain lot of knowledge from YouTube have to rule out what you are saying.     

Dave Bear

Maha,

Following a video is simply that.............. following!

Reading an instructional book gives you the reasons why you are doing the process a certain way and what can happen if you don't. Sure, there is more than one way to do things, but take the other route and it's later down the track that you realise you've got issues. So knowing from the outset what, why and when things should be done is crucial in learning the best techniques. Evidence of this is simply in the number of questions you have raised in the forum regarding the YouTube video's you have tried following.

You prefer to learn by audio-visual aid and that is totally your right, but it is far from the best way to go. Schools would just put kids in front of 8 hours of video if it were........

Matt's books give you both explanation and illustration, as most good tutorial books do, they are easy to follow and sequential in knowledge so you build on what you learn. I seriously think that you are selling yourself short by not giving this realm a chance.

Respectfully my opinion as I have respected yours.

Dave.

John Stoltzfus

Maha Nadarasa

Disagreeing with Matt Lombard - is a pretty strong statement

In all fairness there are a lot of smart people that don't do well with written test or reading a help menu like SW, but I would tread with extreme caution when watching a Youtube - how to

Matt Lombard

The update to the 2013 bible will be called Mastering SolidWorks 2018, so no, you don't have to buy the 2013 book first, but I don't mind it if you do. So I guess the difference between 2013 and 2018 will be 5 years worth of updates (and as always, a few corrections). The 2018 book is a little less snarky. My editors remove most of the sarcasm, but I've filtered out a little more. I've tried to remove a lot of irrelevant yammering, and making some things a little clearer. I still go on for pages about the pitfalls of in-context design, though.

You want to know my secret? The secret to knowing everything? The first secret is that I don't know everything. In fact, I don't know anything, I just research everything. It's just curiosity. Just be curious. Try to break stuff. Try to do stuff that shouldn't work. Sometimes you find hidden functionality, sometimes you find crazy bugs. Sometimes you find stuff that doesn't do anything useful at all (undercut detection, auto trace, others...)

Jehan Kothari

Great!! Eagerly waiting for your book release and read the escaped sarcasm .I wanted to buy your books for so long and now I can start affording them! So for now 2018 is in the bucket list

Now this is how I am going to wake up everyday To know more !!Thanks for sharing the secret.Actually that's what many of the modeler misses like not exploring hidden functionalities of software, escaping error handling by wishing that "ctrl+z" and again doing the things will work out. I also have strong appetite for modeling and exploring how users around the world use them differently but another thing that I learned from you, in fact that's how I discovered you, was "behind the scene" things and how important knowledge of tool's working, modeling strategy, alternative options than traditional approaches etc in software and designing a product, are important. Believe me this curiosity has helped me a lot to stand out from the crowd. When I watched  "A resilient modeling strategy" video(again thanks to you ) on youtube where Sir Gebhard mentioned about you, I was like so much curiosity in one place and wish to be among such people. I am so glad that I had this conversation. I always wished to deliver my gratitude to you that how important you have been in shaping my career path and Best of luck for your new releases.

Jason Capriotti

You mean no sarcastic jabs about SolidWorks and direct editing?

Matt Lombard

Jason Capriotti wrote:

You mean no sarcastic jabs about SolidWorks and direct editing?

Aw, now, that's too much to ask.   I didn't say no sarcastic jabs, just fewer of them. There's plenty of low fruit hanging off the feature tree, and driving "direct editing" with history-based features - that's one of them. Sorry, maybe I'm just too opportunistic that way. But then, this round through I've found plenty of things to talk about like DimXpert, Variable Pattern, Undercut Analysis, autodimensioning, autotrace, etc.

John Stoltzfus

Matt Lombard  wrote:

The 2018 book is a little less snarky. That's a Bummer!!

I still go on for pages about the pitfalls of in-context design, though.

In context design has been a challenge - but there are ways to meet the challenges head on and have successful designs over and over again, SW can't think through the Design Intent, that is truly a Human interaction - good or bad.  I said it many times and I'll say it again, using SW and have horrendous models isn't a fault of SW, there is no reason for bad models, it is a lack of knowledge and or training...  If you don't believe me ask me - Take a look at Alin Vargatu Challenges and you'll see incredible solutions to everyday problems.

Tremendous job in getting the book together, can't wait to see it....

Matt Peneguy

The 2018 book is a little less snarky. My editors remove most of the sarcasm, but I've filtered out a little more.

What? That's the best part!.. Well, maybe the information is the best part, but the sarcasm is definitely second.  Especially when it comes to the not ready for production features in the software.  Sometimes those new bells and whistles aren't so shiny... Other times they are dinged up and dirty...When that's the case, a little sarcasm is definitely warranted.

Jason Young

is there an expected release date for 2018 yet??

Dave Bear

Hi Matt,

I'm currently using your "2013 Bible" and enjoying the learning curve.

I was just wondering if the updated editions that will be released will have slightly larger illustrations?

Dave.

Matt Lombard

Dave,

I'm battling that. Right now I've got the 2013 book right next to me, and the illustrations in print are in some cases so small they are hard to read. Of course I take the screen captures where they are easy to read. So there's that.

Plus, the book is about 1200 pages, and I'm trying to write more compactly so I can add the new material for the last 5 years without increasing the number of pages. Face it. 1200 pages is daunting. For both writing and reading.

Maybe You can get the PDF version, where everything is in color, and zoomable. Keep the hardcopy as a reference. One thing I definitely recommend is to follow along with the book in the actual software. Because of your settings, your interface may not look exactly like mine. I've set mine up for maximum icon size, but when I do that, the text becomes very small in the screen captures.

So the long answer, is - I don't know how this one will turn out. It all comes down to the art compositor. There is a ton of wasted space in books. I will have a discussion with the editors because you're not the first person to mention this to me, and I've noticed it myself.

Thanks for a great suggestion!

Jason Young

have ordered a 2013 copy, at a bargain price of £17.

will have look through it when I receive it.

Dave Bear

Hello Jason,

You won't regret getting the book even if you had paid full price!

I actually managed to purchase my copy from the UK and get it delivered to Australia for less than half the price of any other worldwide outlet thanks to a link from another member of the forum.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

Dave.

Rick McDonald

When we first got SolidWorks (Jan 2012), I went on line and did some research and purchased Matt's Parts & Assembly Bibles and the Administration book (paperback).  I wasn't ready for Surfacing or I would have gotten that.  It was a lot of reading and, having just gotten the software, was a bit overwhelming until I got an understanding of the software basics.  I skipped the 2013 version but am more than ready for the new version (even though we are only up to SWX 2015).  I later also got the e-book version so I could have the printed version at home and the e-version on my computer at work.  Well worth the money.  Because of my digging in and learning more than the others, I immediately became the Cad Admin here.