2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 27, 2017 8:04 AM by Kevin Chandler

How do I fix this spring in place with mates (not with fix option)

Corey McVeigh

Hi could anybody please show me how to define the mates in the centre so they do not move up and down or left and right

thank you

help1.png

help2.png

help3.pnghelp4.png

• Re: How do I fix this spring in place with mates (not with fix option)
          Bill Toft

Use Concentric mates  for rods into holes and springs over rods. Select the "lock rotation" option to prevent turning.

To prevent a rod sliding out of a hole, use either a coincident mate with hole bottom or a distance mate.

You can also mate between planes in different parts (both coincident & distance).

• Re: How do I fix this spring in place with mates (not with fix option)
            Kevin Chandler

Hello,

Open the spring part file and examine its planes.

In the spring's file:

1. If the spring was modeled with its central axis at the junction of two planes, then add an SW ref geometry axis using this two planes.
            2. Add a tangent plane attached to the end of the spring if it's not flatted (with this plane perpendicular to one of the planes above)

In the assembly:

1. Turn on view temp axes
            2. Start a concident mate
            3. Expand the spring's tree and select the axis you just made and the temp axis for the mating hole
            4. If you need to anchor the spring's end, use the tangent plane/flat in a coincident or distance mate
            5. If you need to stop rotation, mate one of the spring's planes (one of the two used to make the axis) to relevant edge/face

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Kevin