3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2009 1:12 PM by Ian Hogg

Tools - Options

Brian Robinson
      Hello, when I try to go to Tools - Options in a large assembly the 64-bit PC works at something for several minutes (15 to 20). This is the same on the 32-bit PC as well. I did find, however, that if the assembly was loaded lightweight, then Tools - Options is instantaneous.

One subassembly that has 10 subassemblies and 63 parts takes about 15 minutes to perform Tools - Options when fully resolved. The main assembly of the aircraft simply takes longer as more work is done to the aircraft design. We are forced to make all components lightweight first.

Placing the assembly and files on the desktop makes no difference. It takes about 70 seconds to perform Tools - Options on a small subassembly. We installed SolidWorks 2009 SP 1 on the 32-bit PC and found that this is still an issue. The CPU Usage skyrockets to 99% while performing this task.

I ran SolidWorks RX to clean all files, removed SolidWorks 2008, removed all occurrences of SolidWorks from the registry and removed all file names and folders related to SolidWorks on the 64-bit PC. I installed SolidWorks 2009 immediately followed by SP 1. I did some testing with it and found that Tools - Options works instantaneously now.

I activated the Tools - Add-Ins - SolidWorks Flow Simulation and later found that Tools - Options is bogged down again. After disabling the Add-In it worked fine again. I finally got somewhere. This also has the same affect on the 32-bit PC.

I just upgraded the 64-bit PC to SP 2, opened and fully resolved a large assembly file, performed Tools - Options, and it came up instantaneously. I enabled the Flow Simulation Add-In, performed Tools - Options, and Whammo! My PC is bogged down running full steam ahead on some unknown computations.

Our SolidWorks supplier has been working on this issue for quite a while with no resolution yet. Has anyone else found a reason as to why would this Add-In cause an issue with Tools - Options?

Regards,
      Peter Ferreira
        • Tools - Options
          Ian Hogg
          Hi Peter,

Wow, I never would have guessed that would happen. I just tried it on my Vista 64 system (since I jsut updated to sp2) and hey presto, away it goes for many minutes. Even on a model without a flow project.

The only thing I can think of is that Flow has some settings under the "Third Party" button where you can choose to display the mesh or not. Why something like that would get broken intermittently between SP's seems a little strange.

I will make sure this is reported

Cheers,

Ian
            • Tools - Options
              Brian Robinson
              Hi Ian,

Thanks for confirming this anomaly. Yes, this occurs on all assemblies without Flow projects. We had to get used to only activating the Flow Simulation Add-In when we need to run a simulation, and disabling it once we were finished.

The Options window finally appeared after one hour on the first test of SP 2. I pressed Third Party to check out the options and Presto! I got the following message:

sldworks.exe - Application Error
              The exception unknown software exception (0xc000000d) occurred in the application at location 0x7813728c.

Regards,
              Peter Ferreira
                • Tools - Options
                  Ian Hogg
                  Hi Peter,

Do you know if you VAR initiated an SR or SPR for this. If not, can you let me know your reseller's name so we can link your problem to an SPR. You can email this info at ihogg@solidworks.com

I didn't get any crashes on my machines when I clicked on the third party, but I didn't test this beyond a couple of different sized models.

Thanks,

Ian