31 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2018 10:26 AM by Bode Swango

SolidWorks 2018 Save As... file compatible with SW 2017?

N. Ritchey

our systems engineer took it upon himself to upgrade to 2018 without telling or asking anyone (we work at a small company). now all of his designs are saved in 2018, but us with 2017 can't open his files unless they are converted to .STEP (losing all feature tree history... you all know the score).

i just briefly looked at his system in the "save as..." dialog but couldn't find any options to save as a legacy type solidworks file. of course, he said that 2018 files were backwards compatible with 2017 (they aren't). and his designs are for injection molded plastic, so the idea of recreating the parts is its own headache.

and i feel like i shouldn't have to answer the question "why don't you upgrade?" both him and our electrical engineer's systems were down for a week and a half after they upgraded (systems engineer upgraded to 2018, which required out EE to upgrade to PCB '18, which was fine until he was tasked with doing all this plastic concept design work...)

thanks

NSR

• Re: SolidWorks 2018 Save As... file compatible with SW 2017?
          Walter Fetsch

1.  Ouch!

2.  Try using parasolid instead of .step.

3.  What is your question for the forum?

Jim Steinmeyer

Nick,

I believe that if you upgrade everyone else to 2017 SP5.0 which is available today you will be able to read 2018 files. If I remember correctly SP 5.0 of a year is able to open the next year's files.

N. Ritchey

i will look into SP 5.0 (i've been keeping up with SPs but not that recently) and see if that will help.

to answer some other questions...

my question to the forum (which wasn't explicitly asked) was: is there a way to open native SolidWorks 2018 files in 2017, OR, is there a save-as format in 2018 that will save as a legacy format to be opened by older versions of the software

the reason our systems engineer upgraded... personally i blame the subscription service that was pushed onto us by our SW vendor that none of us really wanted. our systems engineer apparently gets reminders telling him to update. apparently i don't receive them even though i'm the one active in the SW install and sourcing. he received an update saying "your subscription is almost over! upgrade now or you'll miss out!" so he did. then he told our EE to upgrade (as they work together more often).

and while i'm at it, if SW wants to switch to a "subscription" service where they roll out new versions EVERY YEAR, then they need to make these files backwards compatible. this wasn't a problem a few years ago, everyone had '10 or everyone had '14. but now there's '16 '17 '18? is there going to be a '19? is that going to be backwards compatible with '18?

i haven't even gotten around to reading "what's new" in 2018 but i'm imagining it isn't enough to warrant me deciding that everyone needs to upgrade their systems...

Kelvin Lamport
                    and while i'm at it, if SW wants to switch to a "subscription" service where they roll out new versions EVERY YEAR, then they need to make these files backwards compatible. this wasn't a problem a few years ago, everyone had '10 or everyone had '14. but now there's '16 '17 '18? is there going to be a '19? is that going to be backwards compatible with '18?

SW isn' switching to a "subscription" service. It's always been that way since '98, with the exception of 2002 during which they released 2001+.

SW17-SP5 probably won't help you much. It won't give you the ability to access the feature tree, but you will be able to add features and create 2D drawings.

Glenn Schroeder

N. Ritchey wrote:

i will look into SP 5.0 (i've been keeping up with SPs but not that recently) and see if that will help.

to answer some other questions...

my question to the forum (which wasn't explicitly asked) was: is there a way to open native SolidWorks 2018 files in 2017, OR, is there a save-as format in 2018 that will save as a legacy format to be opened by older versions of the software

the reason our systems engineer upgraded... personally i blame the subscription service that was pushed onto us by our SW vendor that none of us really wanted. our systems engineer apparently gets reminders telling him to update. apparently i don't receive them even though i'm the one active in the SW install and sourcing. he received an update saying "your subscription is almost over! upgrade now or you'll miss out!" so he did. then he told our EE to upgrade (as they work together more often).

i haven't even gotten around to reading "what's new" in 2018 but i'm imagining it isn't enough to warrant me deciding that everyone needs to upgrade their systems...

In addition to the points Kelvin Lamport made about SW always being a subscription service and releasing new versions every year (and that's not up to your VAR), it's very possible to renew your subscription without upgrading to the latest version.

Roy Horich

Correct just pay the subscription fee but don't upgrade.

Cancelling subscription isn't an option however because you will be fined a retrieval fee.

For example subscription with an upgrade to SW 2019 cost $2500,- (per year).

you could say "skip subscription" for this time keep working with SW 2018 until SW 2020 is released and start subscription again.

However (this is the case in The Netherlands). This upgrade from SW 2018 to SW 2020 including restarting subscription will cost you $5000,- so the retrieval fee  is just paying the subscription costs of the year you skipped subscription.

But again it's up to you to decide which software you install. So keep on paying subscription just do not install until  everybody is ready for this.

Bill Toft

This morning I installed SW2017 SP5 and I tried opening a simple surface part I did in SW2018.

Future Version 1-Open 2018 part in 2017.jpg

You see that I can't do anything with it (other that look as it). The Sketch options are unavailable. I wanted to insert a 3D sketch and use convert entities to get the outline. When I tried Save As, I could not select SLDPRT, only Parasolid.

I then tried Make Assembly from Part. Now the 2018 part is in a 2017 assembly.

Future Version 2-Insert 2018 part in 2017 assembly.jpg

Now I did Save As > Part to save the 2017 assembly as a 2017 part.

Future Version 3-Save 2017 assembly as 2017 part.jpg

Now I have a native Surface feature!

Note that you can skip step 1 and just start a new 2017 assembly and do Insert Part and select the 2018 part. Then do save as 2017 part,

Josh Brady

Sorry.  No, there is no backward compatibility.  I don't know where your systems engineer got the idea that they were.  Sounds like a firing squad may be in order.  Or at least a wet noodle lashing.  But your current options are:

1. Upgrade everyone to 2018 (if you can't because reasons, I understand, but you're SOL, sorry)

2. Neutral file format (as you've tried)

3. Recreate in 2017.

4. Backups?  (assuming they were started in 2017 and then saved in 2018 later)

Patrick Molimard

Hi, I created an enhancement request (1-15819569495) so we could open SolidWorks files made with older version by using 3D Interconnect. Go on this enhancement and vote for it if you like.

Alan Sweetenham

The only other option I know of is a third party add in called Backworks, although i believe it only supports opening 2017 files (most standard features) in earlier versions currently Saving into an older version of Solidworks | BACKWORKS

Essentially as far as i can work out it creates a series of instructions to rebuild the part in an earlier version, essentially a macro with a series of steps but this may be simplifying/ misunderstanding on my part. Worth giving them a shout anyway to see if they can do anything

M. B.

Years ago, in ProEngineer, a date or release version was in the file header (I don’t remember exactly).  If you edited this line and changed it to a previous version or year the file could be opened and modified in a previous version of ProEngineer as long as the newer file had never used newer features that were not available in the previous version.

Is it possible that something similar could be done with a SolidWorks file?

Dennis Dohogne

M. B. wrote:

Years ago, in ProEngineer, a date or release version was in the file header (I don’t remember exactly). If you edited this line and changed it to a previous version or year the file could be opened and modified in a previous version of ProEngineer as long as the newer file had never used newer features that were not available in the previous version.

Is it possible that something similar could be done with a SolidWorks file?

I was hoping for just this thing, but recently I found out that new versions of the software recompile the entire code, even for the older functions, rendering them incapable of "going back".

David Matula

Bite the bullet and upgrade everyone to 2018.  It is not always the best thing in the world to do but at least you have someone to blame for having to do it.  Why look for a way to move back?  If you stay with the most current you do not have problems with opening files or even downloading real SolidWorks files from the web.  When you get behind by to many years the best that  you are able to get is a compatible file.

Learn what you can from the experience and lock down the computers to keep people from upgrading.  Even a sp upgrade in the past used to mean that everyone that wanted to work with the files that were upgraded had to be on the same sp.  Keep moving forward....

Dennis Dohogne

David Matula wrote:

Bite the bullet and upgrade everyone to 2018. It is not always the best thing in the world to do but at least you have someone to blame for having to do it. Why look for a way to move back? If you stay with the most current you do not have problems with opening files or even downloading real SolidWorks files from the web. When you get behind by to many years the best that you are able to get is a compatible file.

Learn what you can from the experience and lock down the computers to keep people from upgrading. Even a sp upgrade in the past used to mean that everyone that wanted to work with the files that were upgraded had to be on the same sp. Keep moving forward....

Dave, while I agree with your post in general, your statement about SP compatibility is not accurate.  I've been using SWX since version 1995, the original.  Any file within the same version has always been able to operate properly when opened in any other SP of the same release.  It is true, however, that some SP's had such problems that really wanted to be in a later one, but file compatibility has never been an issue.

Jim Steinmeyer

Dennis Dohogne wrote:

..... It is true, however, that some SP's had such problems that really wanted to be in a later one, but file compatibility has never been an issue.

*cough* 2017SP3 *cough cough*

Dennis Dohogne

Jim Steinmeyer wrote:

Dennis Dohogne wrote:

..... It is true, however, that some SP's had such problems that really wanted to be in a later one, but file compatibility has never been an issue.

*cough* 2017SP3 *cough cough*

I had major problems with SWX2017 SP0.0-2.0 and I think I skipped 3.0 altogether (I reverted to using SWX2016!).  But SP2.0 will open any of the others.  However, successfully opening a file and not having problems of its own are two different things.

David Matula

Dennis,

you run around and upgrade a few computers cause you upgraded to a newer service pack than a few others it gets stuck in your brain that you want everyone on the same one.  Nothing like someone yelling at you why they can not open a file.  Only has to happen once or twice and your learn to keep everyone on the same page. 

Dennis Dohogne

David Matula wrote:

Dennis,

you run around and upgrade a few computers cause you upgraded to a newer service pack than a few others it gets stuck in your brain that you want everyone on the same one. Nothing like someone yelling at you why they can not open a file. Only has to happen once or twice and your learn to keep everyone on the same page.

Dave, I get it.  If a person is having a problem and a new SP is supposed to take care of it they want it installed yesterday.  If someone has the new SP and another person doesn't then they want it installed now!  I deal with the same thing here as I also manage our installations.  If we aren't having any significant problems and the list of fixed SPR's does not cover something that has been hurting us then we often skip SP's just because installation can be a real nuisance.

I was simply trying to keep the facts straight.  I stand by my statement of SP inter-compatibility within a major release.

Kevin Folwark

Just today we had to upgrade to 2018 as a client opened a critical file and saved it in 2018. After our forced updrage to 2018  now 2 of my coworkers get crashing issues all the time when opening files. This is such a headache. If there was anyway to have have the file back saved to 20017 this would not have happened.