5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 22, 2017 4:47 PM by Maha Nadarasa

Helper sketch to cut profile

Maha Nadarasa

This file is downloaded from 3D Content Central. What is the purpose of having helper sketch to cut profile (Sketch8)?

1.png

• Re: Helper sketch to cut profile
          Rob Edwards

Hi Maha

I'm not sure the exact reason in this case, but I like to use helper sketches when convenient.  There will be a good reason no doubt.  The principle benefits for me are it keeps my individual sketches simple (easy to understand) and sometimes the sketch solver has difficulties if too much is required to be calculated at the same time.  I find breaking a problem down into simple steps is key.  If I am having trouble with a sketch, adding a helper sketch normally fixes the problem.

Dan Pihlaja

I am guessing that this is a thread cut.   I would say that this would give you the pitch very easily and also give you a visual idea of what it is going to look like after the cut.  You could even link the pitch dimension (.500) and the pitch from the helix that will cut the threads (via a global coordinate would be easiest in my opinion).

Dennis Dohogne

Dan Pihlaja wrote:

I am guessing that this is a thread cut. I would say that this would give you the pitch very easily and also give you a visual idea of what it is going to look like after the cut. You could even link the pitch dimension (.500) and the pitch from the helix that will cut the threads (via a global coordinate would be easiest in my opinion).

I agree with Dan that this is probably for cutting a thread.  It looks to me like the purpose of the construction line portion is to show where the next thread profile will be.  Notice the 0.063 dimension.  This is a controlling/driving dimension and will keep the peak of the thread flat at that width.  I cannot say this is the best way for modelling a thread.  Though I would have done it differently that doesn't make this technique wrong.

Maha Nadarasa

I tried to replicate the model as it is. But I got an error message.

1.png