8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2019 8:30 AM by Shan Lentine

When using the Admin Image Tool, my status is not updating. 

Shan Lentine

When using the Admin Image Tool and using the Deploy Automatically function, my status is not updating.  On the client computer, it is creating a log entry at the end of the install which reads, "This client does not have write permission to the logs directory: <SWX install location>\SW17_SP3.0\64bit\logs\\SBDEV-ENOW7.   Notice the double back slash at the end of the path between "logs" and the hostanme.  Does anyone know what is generating this path?  Is there supposed to be a double backslash there?  Is anyone else's install status updating in the admin image tool?

• Re: When using the Admin Image Tool, my status is not updating. 
          Paul Wyndham

I just tried it out. When I created an install task for my machine it immediately when to my computer and created a windows system task to run at the given time. It did not save the path to any file in the admin install directory.

The task was created like this:

InstallTask.jpg

I am assuming SBDEV-ENOW7 is the computer name that you were testing the installation on. For me in the install location a Logs folder showed up with my computer name folder in it.

The status.xml file only has basic information in it.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-16"?>

<AdminInstallStatus xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">

<Status>0</Status>

<LogFile></LogFile>

<Version>00000-00000-0100</Version>

<TimeStamp></TimeStamp>

<Uninstall>No</Uninstall>

</AdminInstallStatus>

I searched my registry and don't find anything about the task location in there.

Did you give all the users write permissions to the Logs folder in the admin image?

Otherwise there might be a problem with the path in the task.

Shan Lentine

Paul,

Thank you for your reply.  Yes, SBDEV-ENOW7 is the computer name.

I get everything you are saying except at the end of the install, the client machine should update the xml that you show above and change the value of <Status>0</Status> to <Status>2</Status> which would then show the status of "Installed Successfully" in the Admin Image Option Editor.  Below is what it looks like when I manually change the value:

All of the machines on this log that show "Install Scheduled" are successful installs.  I have permissions to the logs folder in the admin image wide open right now.

The log I am looking at for the path is in C:\Windows\SolidWorks\IM_20170-40300-1100-100\sldim\sldIMLog_20170-40300-1100_00001.txt.   It is on the client computer and it is the last two lines in the install log.

I would be curious to know if your status updated in the Admin tool and if you got the same log entry at the end of your install log on the client.

Paul Wyndham

Sorry, I forgot to check back to the forum. I didn't actually install SolidWorks using the deploy automatically function. I have way too many users to keep track of their computer names. I have to go the route of creating my own installer and having the users go to the drive and launch it when they need to install.

Shan Lentine

To close the loop on this in case anyone searches for the problem, this is the solution I found.  The double backslash in my original post was a "red herring".  I was actually able to get the status updates from the installs by giving the group "Everyone" write and modify permissions to the folder <SolidWorks install location>\64bit\logs.  You only have to change the permission on that folder which only contains the install XMLs for the individual machines, so opening the permissions specifically would not be a problem.  I would not open the permissions on any of the other folders as it would create the possibility of the user being able modifying your install files.