17 Replies Latest reply on Nov 23, 2017 5:42 AM by Jim Wilkinson

SolidWorks 2017 - Rotate about scene floor - help

Jon Dawe

I can't seem to get the viewport to lock the rotation around the vertical axis. I often use the hot keys to quickly rotate the model scene around in a locked axis

but can never seem to get this valuable function to work at all for the vertical "Rotate about scene floor".

Probably user error but don't know what i'm doing wrong.

Thanks! - JD

• Re: SolidWorks 2017 - Rotate about scene floor - help
          Christian Chu

It'd be much easy to use my tool with this purpose

Jim Wilkinson

Jon Dawe wrote:

I can't seem to get the viewport to lock the rotation around the vertical axis. I often use the hot keys to quickly rotate the model scene around in a locked axis

but can never seem to get this valuable function to work at all for the vertical "Rotate about scene floor".

Probably user error but don't know what i'm doing wrong.

Thanks! - JD

Hi Jon,

If I understand what you are looking for, hold Alt and select the axis on the triad in the lower left corner that you want to rotate about (likely the Y axis if you use the default orientations). Hold Alt+Ctrl and click on it will rotate the opposite direction. This documented in this help topic:

http://help.solidworks.com/2018/english/solidworks/sldworks/r_reference_triad.htm

Also, if you have a face facing directly up on the model or an edge parallel to the vertical axis, you can middle mouse select the face or edge (click down with the middle mouse button and then let go of the mouse button). It should highlight in magenta instead of the regular selection color and the mouse cursor will show rotating about an axis. Now drag the middle mouse button and it will rotate about that entity as long as you are holding the mouse button down. Once you let up the mouse button, it resets and just does regular rotate. This is documented here:

2018 SOLIDWORKS Help - Middle Mouse Button Functions

By the way, since you mentioned Rotate about scene floor, I assume you already know about that functionality to constrain the regular middle mouse button rotation? I wasn't sure if you were refering to that behavior and wanted keyboard rotation like that or if you were just refering to the general term of rotating about a floor...I assume you know ab0ut it since you put it in quotes.

Just in case, that is documented here:

2018 SOLIDWORKS Help - Rotate View

This blog post covers these and many more ways to manipulate the model view:

How do I manipulate my model view; let me count the ways

Thanks,

Jim

Jon Dawe

Thanks Jim -

These are great and have tried them.

I think I am trying to quickly constrain the middle mouse button to rotate around the Y axis.

ALT+MMB = Rotate around Z axis

CTL+MMB = Pan

SHIFT+MMB = Zoom I/O

??? +MMB = Rotate around Y axis

Could this be custom Key Board Shortcut assigned maybe?

Thanks - JD

Jim Wilkinson

Jon Dawe wrote:

Thanks Jim -

These are great and have tried them.

I think I am trying to quickly constrain the middle mouse button to rotate around the Y axis.

ALT+MMB = Rotate around Z axis

CTL+MMB = Pan

SHIFT+MMB = Zoom I/O

??? +MMB = Rotate around Y axis

Could this be custom Key Board Shortcut assigned maybe?

Thanks - JD

Hi Jon,

If you have Rotate About Scene Floor turned on, if you push your middle mouse button and move it left and right on the screen, it will rotate about the Y Axis. Is that not what you are looking for or are you looking for the availability of that behavior when NOT in Rotate About Scene Floor through a keyboard accelerator combination?

Currently, there is no customization for mouse button assignments for SOLIDWORKS.

Thanks,

Jim

Jon Dawe

Hi Jim –

I think I must be mixed up here.

I thought the ‘Rotate around scene floor’ would constrain the viewport rotation to the Y axis in my default part work space.

I am simply working in a part or assembly file. I would like to be able to press the middle mouse button (mmb) + ???  key on the keyboard drag left or right, and have the viewport simply rotate smoothly around the Y axis only (left to right on the screen) rather than having to use the arrow keys or a wiggly space mouse.

Imho, just seems like this function is noticeably missing from the keyboard + mmb functions and would be very helpful to save a bit of time.

Thanks! - JD

Jim Wilkinson

Jon Dawe wrote:

Hi Jim –

I think I must be mixed up here.

I thought the ‘Rotate around scene floor’ would constrain the viewport rotation to the Y axis in my default part work space.

I am simply working in a part or assembly file. I would like to be able to press the middle mouse button (mmb) + ??? key on the keyboard drag left or right, and have the viewport simply rotate smoothly around the Y axis only (left to right on the screen) rather than having to use the arrow keys or a wiggly space mouse.

Imho, just seems like this function is noticeably missing from the keyboard + mmb functions and would be very helpful to save a bit of time.

Thanks! - JD

Hi Jon,

Perhaps the confusion is what you mean by Y-axis. Do you mean Y-axis of the coordinate system of the model or are you talking about the vertical axis of the screen? The Scene Floor is relative to the Y-axis of the model (by default; it can be changed). The left and right arrow keys are relative to the vertical axis of the screen. If you have Rotate About Scene Floor turned off, dragging the mouse left/right with the middle mouse pressed rotates about the vertical axis of the screen (same rotation as the left/right arrow keys). If you have Rotate About Scene Floor turned on dragging the mouse left/right with the middle mouse pressed rotates about the Y-axis of the model (regardless of what orientation the model is relative to the screen). With Rotate About Scene Floor is on and the Y-axis of the model pointing vertically on the screen, left/right rotates exactly like the arrow keys (or if Rotate About Scene Floor is off), but if the Y-axis is pointing towards you, dragging left/right rotates similar to Alt-left/right arrow keys.

If this does not make sense, perhaps you need to post a screenshot of your model view with an axis (and maybe arrows) on it showing what you expect it to rotate about.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim Wilkinson

Jon Dawe wrote:

So you want to rotate it about the Y axis of the model. Is it something specific to this view orientation too? Are you saying that when you do this while looking at a front view, you want it to rotate about the Y-axis and have the Y-axis stay vertical on the screen? As if the mouse were constrained so it could only move left or right and not up and down at the same time (which causes the XZ plane to tilt away from being perfectly horizontal)? If so, out of curiosity, what is the workflow where you want this exact kind of movement since I haven't heard it requested before. Have you seen this type of dynamic rotation in other products?

Thanks,

Jim

Jon Dawe

This is insanity.

]Jim - thanks for your time and help.

Jim Wilkinson

Jon Dawe wrote:

This is insanity.

]Jim - thanks for your time and help.

I'm sorry I can't understand what you mean in words. Perhaps someone else can and see where I'm being daft.

Thanks,

Jim

Ned Hutchinson

Hi Jim

I think Jon wants this.

Imagine, space bar front plane, y axis is vertical.

you can rotate with arrow keys without tipping the model back or forward but not smoothly.

When you try this with just middle mouse button you tip model forward or back while trying to keep it straight.

Imagine holding Alt+Ctrl MMB to smooth rotate about Y axis.

As i am typing i tried Alt+Ctrl+MMB and it says only available for camera views?

Jim Wilkinson

Ned Hutchinson wrote:

Hi Jim

I think Jon wants this.

Imagine, space bar front plane, y axis is vertical.

you can rotate with arrow keys without tipping the model back or forward but not smoothly.

When you try this with just middle mouse button you tip model forward or back while trying to keep it straight.

Imagine holding Alt+Ctrl MMB to smooth rotate about Y axis.

As i am typing i tried Alt+Ctrl+MMB and it says only available for camera views?

Hi Ned,

Right, this is what I thought too and said in different words in my previous reply.

But this seems to be a very specific function...should it work in only the front view (or any other view where Y is exactly pointing up in the vertical access of the screen)?

Or, should it work the same as the left and right arrow keys, but smoothly, in ANY orientation of the model (so smoothly rotating around the vertical access of the screen, not the Y-axis)? This is why I was trying to figure out if Jon was talking about the actual Y-axis of the model, or the vertical of the screen (which is what the left/right arrow keys do).

What about the equivalent for the up and down arrow keys; would we want another keystroke combination to rotate smoothly around the horizontal screen axis? If not, why would this only by needed to smoothly do what the left and right arrow keys do and not to smoothly do what the up and down arrow keys do?

This is why I was asking what the workflow was where Jon wanted to use it, so I could fully understand exactly what he is trying to accomplish...is it to get into some sort of exact orientation for modeling purposed that the arrow keys can't get into? Is it for spinning a model around that specific axis to see reflections or something? While modeling, users generally don't care that the Y-axis stay exactly vertical; they just quickly want to get to a viewing angle that shows the features they are trying to look at.

I was asking if any other software had it so I could see how they describe or implement it to better understand what Jon was asking for and why it might be used since I had never heard of it before.

When we're looking at implementing functionality, we want to get to the root of what the users are trying to accomplish; what problem they are trying to solve. This is so we can make sure that we don't implement a very specific solution but something that solves the specific problem but is generally useful for all users as well.

The Alt+Ctrl+MMB functionality is documented here:

2018 SOLIDWORKS Help - Turn Camera

When looking at a camera view, it moves the camera around to modify the view.

If we were to implement something like what Jon is asking for, we'd have to use another keystroke combination like Shift+Ctrl+MMB that is unused.

Thanks,

Jim

Jon Dawe

Ned - I'm going to hug you! you nailed it on the head.

Jim - apologies for the frustrated tone - it was a "challenging" afternoon yesterday.

(as you know, it's difficult sometimes to convey the exact thoughts of a CAD issue by typing it out)

You are great and I appreciate your effort in trying to help me out.

Ned is absolutely correct in my goal -

I was trying to convey that if i could hold down a couple of buttons i.e. - shift+ctrl+mmb and lock the current screen view axis 'Y'

then drag left or right and SMOOTHLY rotate - not using the arrow keys. the arrow keys are indeed great, but lack the ability to operate smoothly. This function would be helpful in many surfacing, assembly, and part modeling operations. This button combo is currently used in Autodesk Inventor, and a similar function exists in Fusion 360.

Thanks for all your effort and help gentlemen - JD

Jim Wilkinson

Jon Dawe wrote:

This button combo is currently used in Autodesk Inventor, and a similar function exists in Fusion 360.

Do you know what the mouse combination is to achieve it in Inventor? I only find Shift+Middle Mouse Button which is regular rotate. I know they have the Orbit command which you bring up and then drag either a vertical or horizontal handle to get smooth rotation like what the left/right and up/down keys do in SOLIDWORKS, but I can't find anything about a key combination that gives the vertical, smooth rotation.

Thanks,

Jim