9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2009 11:02 PM by 1-GDXXBU

Delete split point

When try to delete a split point that I have just created, SW gives me the error: "sketch endpoints and center points cannot be deleted unless the endpoint is the split point of a curve"

Contradictory, no?

This is on a converted spline.
        • Delete split point
          Kelvin Lamport
          Not really! When converted, the split point of the spline becomes converted to just an end point of the converted geometry.
          • Delete split point
            Charles Culp
            Make the splines tangent and equal curvature. Then you should be able to delete the split point.
            • Delete split point
              Will,

this works for me on SW2009 SP2 so I suspect that your split point is directly over another enitity or close to a spline point. In that case, try using "select other" to select and verify the actual split point.
              • Delete split point
                Kelvin Lamport
                Mark ... are you saying that the split point of a spline remains a split point in the converted geometry?

I did a quick test;
                Start a new sketch
                Create a 3 point spline
                Add a split point
                Close the sketch
                Start a new sketch
                Convert the splines from the original sketch into the second new sketch
                Hide the original spline
                Try to delete the point .... doesn't work.
                  • Delete split point
                    Kelvin,

No, I'm not saying that. I'm addressing Will's original question/problem as I read it - but perhaps I've mis-interpreted it:

1) create 3 point spline
                    2) create a split point on that spline
                    3) now try to delete that split point (Will gets warning when trying to do this)

I suspect that he is not picking the split point but some other enitity so I suggested using the "select other" on the RMB to explicitly pick the split point.

BTW, you should be able to delete spline points also.
                  • Delete split point
                    Kelvin Lamport
                    Will's last sentence states, "This is on a converted spline.", so I assume he has done something similar to the test I listed. I get the exact same message he is getting.
                      • Delete split point
                        Kelvin,

I see; my apologies. I tried a simple test of this, and I was able to delete the split point on the converted entity.

Perhaps Will you can post a model for us to take a look at and verify.
                          • Delete split point
                            Here is a model that shows what I was talking about. After creating this model though, I noticed that I only get the error when I delete the split point of converted entities that have been turned into construction geometry. You can see this in the model.

There are 4 sketches copied from a planar spline.

The first is a split feature, with the split line converted into a 3dsketch. A split point can be deleted without issue.

The second is the same 3d sketch, as construction geometry. Deleting the split point appears to delete the curve on one side of the split point, but it shows the correct, unsplit original spline after a rebuild.

The third is a copy of the original spline, in plane. Split points delete without issue.

The fourth is a copy of the original spline, as construction geometry. Deleting split points does not work and gives the "sketch endpoints and center points cannot be deleted unless the endpoint is the split point of a curve" error.

I should note that my original issue was with a 3d surface edge, converted into a 3d spline, as construction geometry.