29 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2018 9:40 PM by 성 준 임

Solidworks 2018 edit dimension delays

Richard Wagenaar

When editing the dimension of a part in sketch mode I see delays which I

do not see when editing dimension of the same part not in sketch mode.

It often takes time of 1 second or more before the dimension edit box pops up

I also see  a clear delay before the dimension edit box pops up while

adding dimensions in sketching.

I use a Nvidia K1200 with the latest drivers and tested about all settings.

Some settings seem to make a small difference but response is still very slow.

I also see a delay when invoking the tools/options menu but

the tools/customize menu has no delay.

It seems that the bigger the delay in tools/options menu the bigger the delay

is in dimensions too. I don't mind the delay in the tools option menu but I do

have a slow down in dimensioning.

I wonder if other users also notice this.

Thanks

• Re: Solidworks 2018 edit dimension delays
          Solid Air

Is it only the first time you access tools/options that there is a delay?  Where are your supporting files for SolidWorks located (tools/options/file locations)?  Are you on a network?  Do you use SolidWorks PDM?  What kind of add-ins do you use?  Do you have multiple versions of SW installed?

Although I do not like to blame everything on graphics card.  Someone in our IT department configured a computer with a K1200 card.  Although it is certified by SW we had issues with it and had it replaced (although now I think it had more to do with Windows 10 and one of their updates).

Richard Wagenaar

Thanks for your suggestions

Solidworks standard single fresh install, no network, no PDM

I also had this problem with SW2017.  It started at some point after

2014 or 2015 I am not sure. It seems to get worse every new release.

Do you see a difference in delay between  tools/options and tools/customize

Here it is a very clear 1 second delay.

When dimensioning in a single part it is sluggish like there is a

10000 parts assembly  open but apart from the sluggish UI with dimensions

zooming is very fast.

Oke I try another video board.

Solid Air

Unless you have another graphics card already, I would not go out an buy one until you have explored other possibilities.  One example, run SolidWorks Rx to see if it reports something that may be causing problem.  You VAR may be able to help too!

Another example, did you install SW2017 over top of previous version of SW?  I have been told that it is better to uninstall previous version, clean registry of all SW references before installing new version.

Richard Wagenaar

Solidworks RX has already been sent with SW2017 to my var.

You can't see mouse delays when doing dimensioning in RX.

My var was not really helpfull,  of course they suggested updating video drivers which we always did.

They just told me I should live with it and that I could not expect it to be as fast as older

versions. I use a Wacom pen tablet which is the only difference to common installations. 

But I also see the delays with a mouse.  I have shortcuts for almost very command and while

dimensioning I find that I am faster than Solidworks which causes command errors.

Solid Air

I hope someone from SolidWorks reads your post about how your VAR told you to just live with it.  Think they could come up with a better lie; like they do not know and do not want to investigate it.

Have you tried uninstalling the Wacom pen tablet to see if that makes a difference?

John Sweeney

Hi Guys,

We noticed the comment and will talk to the reseller to understand what's going on.

We are always trying to make SolidWorks faster.  Lower performance in any area is a regression and something we'd want to investigate.  Richard for your case, I'll check to see if we have any problems reported that match your description.

Best Regards,

John

Richard Wagenaar

I tested on a notebook with no Quadro Nvidia and about 1/2 of the CPU speed. The delays are here less while placing a dimension in a sketch. This notebook did not have a certified Nvidia quadro. So a computer with a faster certified nvidia quadro is slower here when placing dimensions in a sketch. While placing a driven dimension there is no delay at all on any computer.

One thing that happens on all computers with 2018 is that it shows the dimension menu in 2 steps,  first on an upper position and after that a little bit lower. So the dimension menu is jumping a bit. This did not happen in SW2017 and before. It seems to invoke the menu 2 times which could be part of the delays but for sure not all. The delay is definitely many times bigger while placing a dimension in sketchmode compared to editing dimensions in part or sketch mode.

My reseller has again reproduced this problem today. He also has the same delays in sketch mode while placing dimensions.  When the tools/option menu is slow, placing dimensions is also slow is what I see.

I also tested SW2014 in W10 and it was also slow there, it could be that it used to be faster in W7 or W8 but I don't have W7 or W8 anymore. I am sure I had no delays as big as this a couple of years ago.

John Sweeney

Hi Richard,

This has been given SPR 1054890 and it is being investigated.  Thanks for your input.

Best Regards,

John

Jim Wilkinson

John Sweeney wrote:

Hi Richard,

This has been given SPR 1054890 and it is being investigated. Thanks for your input.

Best Regards,

John

We've made a number of improvements relating to the performance of the modify dimension dialog in SOLIDWORKS 2018 SP03 which is now available for download.

Thanks,
                                          Jim

Richard Wagenaar

Thanks this one is fixed with the dimension.

While playing a bit with SW2018 I found another big delay, which is editing the definition of a feature.

It takes about  seconds in 2018 and about 1/10 or less of a second

in a version of about 10 years old.  Is this the same issue in another form?

I did not try in what version this problem started but it is 100% reproducable also with simple parts.

It has about the same delay that the dimensions had.

Richard Wagenaar

The delays in dimensions is broken again in SW2019 after it was fixed in SW2018

But now it is even worse. The delay of the modify dimension menu is

now also in part mode.  Before it was fixed in SW2018 the delay was only

in sketch mode.

I have sent in this problem immediately while doing 2019 beta but it was not reproducible

by Solidworks. I hoped it would be fixed in SW2019 SP1 but it is not.

Did anybody else saw this?

Richard Wagenaar

The delay in editing feature is still as big as it was. I suspect there is a general

inefficiency in invoking commands.

It would be great if Solidworks has an old XP computer 32 bit with a version of Solidworks

of >10 years and a computer that is at least 5 times slower to find out that

the delays were NOT a problem in that good old time.

Just a little bit of quality controll so marketing can safely claim that there are performance improvements....

Just like the japanese quality controll system made their cars the best in the world, just by

measuring and adminstrating performance and compare statistics.

Now at 64 bit and computers of at least 5 times faster,  the delays are 5 times bigger.

Just try and you will very likely see the same.

Ned Hutchinson

We should not expect newer versions to be as fast as older versions........

New versions should always be faster, other wise why should we pay maintenance for poorer performing software.

This makes me want to install 2014 again.

Sebastyon Champion

I've had the exact same issue, The only time it is slow is when i click the Smart Dimension.  There is at least a 2 second delay every time i click it.

Sebastyon Champion

I found a solution that might work.  Check your Measure Tool. (looks Like a Tape measure under the Evaluate tab)  see if the the measurement unit is different from your Document Settings. I changed mine because it kept showing Metric units in the lower right corner even though all my document settings were in IPS.  This made the Smart Dimension delay go away.

Jim Wilkinson

Sebastyon Champion wrote:

I found a solution that might work. Check your Measure Tool. (looks Like a Tape measure under the Evaluate tab) see if the the measurement unit is different from your Document Settings. I changed mine because it kept showing Metric units in the lower right corner even though all my document settings were in IPS. This made the Smart Dimension delay go away.

Hi Sebastyon,

In our investigations, we have not heard of this specific problem relating to the measure units. Can you be specific in what delay you are seeing when the units are set to custom rather than the document settings? When exactly are you seeing the delay? Is it when creating a dimension in sketch? And also what SOLIDWORKS version and service pack are you using?

Thanks,

Jim

Ethan Kinney

Hi Jim,

I tried the solution proposed by Sebastyon and it worked for me. My document units on my drawing were set to custom and my units in my measure tool were set to custom also. I modified my document units to IPS and likewise set my measure tool to use document units. Before changing this, it would take approximately 1 second between clicking a note and the note to be shown as selected. Now it shows it as selected instantly.

FYI this also affected the SelectByID2 api command.

SW Version 2017 SP 4.1

Cheers,

Ethan

Jim Wilkinson

Ethan Kinney wrote:

Hi Jim,

I tried the solution proposed by Sebastyon and it worked for me. My document units on my drawing were set to custom and my units in my measure tool were set to custom also. I modified my document units to IPS and likewise set my measure tool to use document units. Before changing this, it would take approximately 1 second between clicking a note and the note to be shown as selected. Now it shows it as selected instantly.

FYI this also affected the SelectByID2 api command.

SW Version 2017 SP 4.1

Cheers,

Ethan

Hi Ethan,

Can you clarify a few things since it sounds like you are speaking of a different problem then the OP.

1. Are you working in a drawing, not a sketch?
                                                  2. It sounds like you are talking about selecting, not double clicking, is that correct? And, you are saying you are clicking a note, not a dimension, is this correct?

Just to be sure on what you are talking about, can you either post a very simple drawing that exhibits the problem and describe exactly how to reproduce it? Since the drawing won't contain the custom measure setup, post a screenshot of that. If you can't post the drawing, can you post screenshots of what it looks like and what you are selecting? The reason I ask is because I am not sure if you are talking about drawings or parts/sketches and also whether you are talking about notes or dimensions (and if dimensions, is it a model dimension, a reference dimension on a model, a sketch dimension in the drawing, etc.). All of these things could be keys to reproducing the issue.

Thanks,

Jim

Ethan Kinney

Hi Jim,

Ok, so did some more digging and found out it is related to one of my macros that i was running. However, the solution proposed still worked, kinda. Forget the measure tool, that doesn't matter. All that matters is changing the base document units. That seems to "reset" something on the document to make the selection faster.

So I've attached a video of the issue i'm seeing. At first note selection is fine and dandy. Then when I run the macro shown, very simple, just traverses the feature tree structure. Note selection becomes very slow. As soon as i change the base unit system to MMGS and back to IPS (Note that i started with IPS not custom units) then i am able to select the notes normally again.

So yes, not the same issue as the OP, but part of the proposed solution fixed the issue.

If you want I'm willing to send you the drawing / assemblies and the macro for this.

Cheers,

Ethan

Jim Wilkinson

Ethan Kinney wrote:

Hi Jim,

Ok, so did some more digging and found out it is related to one of my macros that i was running. However, the solution proposed still worked, kinda. Forget the measure tool, that doesn't matter. All that matters is changing the base document units. That seems to "reset" something on the document to make the selection faster.

So I've attached a video of the issue i'm seeing. At first note selection is fine and dandy. Then when I run the macro shown, very simple, just traverses the feature tree structure. Note selection becomes very slow. As soon as i change the base unit system to MMGS and back to IPS (Note that i started with IPS not custom units) then i am able to select the notes normally again.

So yes, not the same issue as the OP, but part of the proposed solution fixed the issue.

If you want I'm willing to send you the drawing / assemblies and the macro for this.

Cheers,

Ethan

Hi Ethan,

I would suggest either submitting this in the API section of the forum to see if anyone there may be able to help or through your reseller so they can troubleshoot it and submit it to our development staff as necessary.

Thanks,

Jim

성 준 임

Hi Jim

Hope you guys already found a solution for this. I have same problem with my laptop Dell xps 9550 with 32g ram and egpu (akitio node) quadro p4000 graphic card. I installed solid works 2017 version. When I try to input  dimensions using smartdimension the pop-up window delays at least 2second which makes me very annoy in designing every single part. Not sure what could possibly cause this problem. Has anyone found solutions yet?

Jay

Richard Wagenaar

I have been writing about this delay since years.

We are waiting for years already to have a fix.  We stopped 2 of the 3 servicecontracts we have because of this bug. It just doesn't make sense

if the most used commands have so much delays.

Sebastyon Champion

The method i stated made mine go away.  you have to change your document measurements as well as your measure tool to be identical.  Hope this helps.

Richard Wagenaar

Thanks for posting your fix.

But your fix doesn't work for me.

I have document properties/units MMGS adjusted

While invoking the measuements command I see mm as default

While placing a dimension it also shows mm

Still have the delays just as big as always.

Even in Solidworks 95 on computers of more than 20 years old it was several

times faster than now in 2017 on the most advanced hardware.

I know because just for fun I installed SW95 a couple of years ago.

Richard Wagenaar

We also have Autodesk Inventor professional and no delays there, also

mouse milage is lower than in SW. Solidworks forces you to go in the tree where IV allows more actions close to the mouse cursor.

Also things like placing a view in drawing mode has very tiny checkboxes while more 10 years ago you could just select anywhere on the whole text like  "current model view". Even worse is that you have to pick exactly in the middle of that tiny checkbox, a little bit of center doesn't select your option. It all needs so precise mousemovement in Solidworks.  It just gets harder every release appearantly because the software programmers don't try what they are changing or don't ask themself if the change is better or worse.

I get RSI problems of all these precise mousemovents in Solidworks which I don't get in Inventor.

Also if the mouse position is at the lower end of the screen,  the RMB menu needs you to go all the way up to select your command. In IV the menus options are mirrored avoiding the mouse milage.

Richard Wagenaar

And if you want to change a dimension to a specific configuration the button

is half (we paid the full price) of the width compared to all other buttons.

This is one of the most used buttons for us  causing  precise mousemovements again.

In older versions of SW this half sized button was not necessary at all !!!! because the list of

this configurations or all configurations was showed  automatically  if there were more than

1 configuration. How smart....

So you need to press a very small half size button everytime while in older releases this was not

necessary at all. This is another typical example of generating mousemilage and unnecessary clicks on purpose.

Richard Wagenaar

I have moved these last 2 posts to User interface because they were of topic but unfortunately I could not delete these ones here.