12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2018 11:23 AM by Jim Wilkinson

Solidworks 2018 edit dimension delays

Richard Wagenaar

When editing the dimension of a part in sketch mode I see delays which I

do not see when editing dimension of the same part not in sketch mode.

It often takes time of 1 second or more before the dimension edit box pops up

I also see  a clear delay before the dimension edit box pops up while

adding dimensions in sketching.

I use a Nvidia K1200 with the latest drivers and tested about all settings.

Some settings seem to make a small difference but response is still very slow.

I also see a delay when invoking the tools/options menu but

the tools/customize menu has no delay.

It seems that the bigger the delay in tools/options menu the bigger the delay

is in dimensions too. I don't mind the delay in the tools option menu but I do

have a slow down in dimensioning.

I wonder if other users also notice this.

Thanks

• Re: Solidworks 2018 edit dimension delays
          Solid Air

Is it only the first time you access tools/options that there is a delay?  Where are your supporting files for SolidWorks located (tools/options/file locations)?  Are you on a network?  Do you use SolidWorks PDM?  What kind of add-ins do you use?  Do you have multiple versions of SW installed?

Although I do not like to blame everything on graphics card.  Someone in our IT department configured a computer with a K1200 card.  Although it is certified by SW we had issues with it and had it replaced (although now I think it had more to do with Windows 10 and one of their updates).

Richard Wagenaar

Thanks for your suggestions

Solidworks standard single fresh install, no network, no PDM

I also had this problem with SW2017.  It started at some point after

2014 or 2015 I am not sure. It seems to get worse every new release.

Do you see a difference in delay between  tools/options and tools/customize

Here it is a very clear 1 second delay.

When dimensioning in a single part it is sluggish like there is a

10000 parts assembly  open but apart from the sluggish UI with dimensions

zooming is very fast.

Oke I try another video board.

Solid Air

Unless you have another graphics card already, I would not go out an buy one until you have explored other possibilities.  One example, run SolidWorks Rx to see if it reports something that may be causing problem.  You VAR may be able to help too!

Another example, did you install SW2017 over top of previous version of SW?  I have been told that it is better to uninstall previous version, clean registry of all SW references before installing new version.

Richard Wagenaar

Solidworks RX has already been sent with SW2017 to my var.

You can't see mouse delays when doing dimensioning in RX.

My var was not really helpfull,  of course they suggested updating video drivers which we always did.

They just told me I should live with it and that I could not expect it to be as fast as older

versions. I use a Wacom pen tablet which is the only difference to common installations. 

But I also see the delays with a mouse.  I have shortcuts for almost very command and while

dimensioning I find that I am faster than Solidworks which causes command errors.

Solid Air

I hope someone from SolidWorks reads your post about how your VAR told you to just live with it.  Think they could come up with a better lie; like they do not know and do not want to investigate it.

Have you tried uninstalling the Wacom pen tablet to see if that makes a difference?

John Sweeney

Hi Guys,

We noticed the comment and will talk to the reseller to understand what's going on.

We are always trying to make SolidWorks faster.  Lower performance in any area is a regression and something we'd want to investigate.  Richard for your case, I'll check to see if we have any problems reported that match your description.

Best Regards,

John

Richard Wagenaar

I tested on a notebook with no Quadro Nvidia and about 1/2 of the CPU speed. The delays are here less while placing a dimension in a sketch. This notebook did not have a certified Nvidia quadro. So a computer with a faster certified nvidia quadro is slower here when placing dimensions in a sketch. While placing a driven dimension there is no delay at all on any computer.

One thing that happens on all computers with 2018 is that it shows the dimension menu in 2 steps,  first on an upper position and after that a little bit lower. So the dimension menu is jumping a bit. This did not happen in SW2017 and before. It seems to invoke the menu 2 times which could be part of the delays but for sure not all. The delay is definitely many times bigger while placing a dimension in sketchmode compared to editing dimensions in part or sketch mode.

My reseller has again reproduced this problem today. He also has the same delays in sketch mode while placing dimensions.  When the tools/option menu is slow, placing dimensions is also slow is what I see.

I also tested SW2014 in W10 and it was also slow there, it could be that it used to be faster in W7 or W8 but I don't have W7 or W8 anymore. I am sure I had no delays as big as this a couple of years ago.

Ned Hutchinson

We should not expect newer versions to be as fast as older versions........

New versions should always be faster, other wise why should we pay maintenance for poorer performing software.

This makes me want to install 2014 again.

Sebastyon Champion

I've had the exact same issue, The only time it is slow is when i click the Smart Dimension.  There is at least a 2 second delay every time i click it.

Sebastyon Champion

I found a solution that might work.  Check your Measure Tool. (looks Like a Tape measure under the Evaluate tab)  see if the the measurement unit is different from your Document Settings. I changed mine because it kept showing Metric units in the lower right corner even though all my document settings were in IPS.  This made the Smart Dimension delay go away.

Jim Wilkinson

Sebastyon Champion wrote:

I found a solution that might work. Check your Measure Tool. (looks Like a Tape measure under the Evaluate tab) see if the the measurement unit is different from your Document Settings. I changed mine because it kept showing Metric units in the lower right corner even though all my document settings were in IPS. This made the Smart Dimension delay go away.

Hi Sebastyon,

In our investigations, we have not heard of this specific problem relating to the measure units. Can you be specific in what delay you are seeing when the units are set to custom rather than the document settings? When exactly are you seeing the delay? Is it when creating a dimension in sketch? And also what SOLIDWORKS version and service pack are you using?

Thanks,

Jim