4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2017 6:59 PM by Dennis Bacon

How to create a mesh on sheetmetal?

Marco Wu

I have a very simple sheetmetal part, but I could not create mesh. I tried all the highlighted parameters but does not help. Please see the attached pictures and part file.

SW forum.PNG

SW forum 2.PNG

• Re: How to create a mesh on sheetmetal?
          Iain McEwen

Hi Marco,

When I did a Ctrl+Q rebuild on your part I got quite a few issues. If you repair these it may enable you to mesh. If it still doesn't, please re-upload the fixed part.

2017-11-17_13-29-07.png

Marco Wu

Thanks for your reply.

I was continuously working on the design, so the design is slightly different now.

However, I do not get any rebuild error.

SW forum 3.PNG

Keith Frankie

With "verification on rebuild" enabled I get errors on rebuild, just like Iain does.

With "verification on rebuild" disabled I do not get errors on rebuild, just like Marco's case.

I'm using SW 2017 SP 3

I notice that the existing study is set for a solid mesh.  This part isn't really a good match for solid mesh, especially with the hems.

When I try to switch to a shell mesh ("treat as sheet metal") it tells me there are some issues.  I think these issues are probably the same ones that cause the rebuild errors.

Dennis Bacon

Marco... I have fixed your model to the point where I don't get any errors with VOR on. Basically did normal cuts and fixed up the flanges/hems to where they no longer interfered with one another. I don't have simulation so I used Xpress and was able to mesh this as a Solid Mesh. I know you have changed your model but you didn't mention whether you were able to mesh it. I'm curious.??

I have attached my "fixed up model". It would be interesting to see if it works in your simulation.