3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2017 9:13 AM by Mark Dougall

File is not rebuilt upon Check-in.

Mark Dougall

My problem is mainly with Assemblies with multiple derived configurations. When I go to check in an assembly with 3 tiers of configurations, so a configuration derived from a configuration derived from the origional model, it always gives me a warning saying my assmbly is not rebuilt with (Configuration x, y and z) in brackets after. Does this mean I can never have a newly rebuilt assembly like this checked in?

I've attempted several Things like rebuilding them all before check-in and choosing each configuration seperately to check-in but I always get the message.

• Re: File is not rebuilt upon Check-in.
          Mark Dougall

OK so I even went as far as to remake some sub-assemblies from the ground up and am still getting these Messages!

Here's a Picture of what's happening:

Medieneinheit.png

I've attempted to check-out the Parts of the Assembly as well but there's nothing wrong with them. This warning is driving me crazy as it spreads up through main assemblies. Does anyone have any idea how to fix it?

I know I can get rid of it by hiding the warning but I would rather fix the message itself.

Stavros Smith

I've seen this message on a few assemblies.  I don't have a complete answer for you, as on occasion it seems to happen no matter how many times and in what order I attempt full rebuilds.  I generally try to rebuild and and check-in in small groupings.

Assume you have 3 assemblies: Assy1, Assy2 and Assy3.  Assy1 is a subassembly contained in Assy2.  Assy 3 contains Assy 2 as well as another instance of Assy1 but another configuration.

If you pretend Assy3 does not exist, both Assy1 and Assy2 can be rebuilt and checked-in independently of each other without a rebuild error  (so long as Assy2 is check-in after Assy1)

Since Assy3 contains Assy2, it needs to be rebuilt and checked-in after Assy2.  However, Assy3 contains a different configuration of Assy1 than Assy2, as a result it appears you need to rebuild all configs of Assy1, Assy2 and then Assy3 and finally check them all in from Assy3.

Going back to your screenshot, it appears from the PDM tab that there are edits to DR_1x26_FPM, DR_1x19_FPM somehow.  If you checkout the files and rebuild all configurations and save, then go back to the assembly and rebuild all configurations the warning should (hopefully) go away.  As mentioned, there are instances that I've not figured out the cause of the error and have been unable to resolve them.

Mark Dougall

So I followed your advice and made sure to check-out every Part, with ist drawing, rebuild, and then check it back in. It fixed the Problem - Thank you.

I then had to go through every higher Level assembly and rebuild them with the newly rebuilt sub-assemblies open in the Background while checked-out; very strange way to make the message go away as SolidWorks was not satisfied with me having the "clean" assembly checked-in, it had to be open and checked-out as well to solve the Problem in the parent assembly - but only the next lowest assembly, not every single one.

In any case my highest assembly (that I can be bothered doing this up until for now) Looks like this:

Medieneinheit.png

A few Things I noticed when doing this tedious process:

What seemed to be the main issue was old versions of parts that would not Show a warning; mostly Toolbox parts that hadn't been updated to the latest Version of SolidWorks. Why there was no warning at the part Level I don't understand but SolidWorks seems to think it's more important to warn you in the Assembly Level.

Next Point is that to make it easier to find which parts had Problems I was able to click on the warning message next to the assembly. This would give me a list of which parts with which configurations hadn't been updated. Came in Handy so that I didn't have to open every single part in the assembly; less Trial and error, more Point and click.

Last Point is just to emphasise that when I had checked-in a "clean" sub-assembly, the next higher up assembly would still throw up an error in reference to the sub-assembly. I would then have to re-open the sub-assembly, check it out and then check them both in for the error to go away at the higher Level.

I'm going to Keep an eye on this and may Need to redo it with a few more assemblies but for now thanks again for the help.