3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 16, 2017 7:05 PM by Mark Jackson

Cool Visualize 2017 Decal tip

Chris Cunningham

I didn't know about this feature and it just revolutionized my workflow. I am constantly adding an overwhelming amount of decals to products. It definitely takes a bit of time getting the size and positioning just right. I just found out you can import an old model and drag the decals from that that one to the new model. So no need to start from scratch on decals when a product updates.

• Re: Cool Visualize 2017 Decal tip
          Mark Jackson

Hi Chris,

If you don't mind explaining, what exactly do you mean  by importing an old model and dragging the decals to the new? Do you mean if a model gets updated, you'd have to start from scratch with the decals in the past? Does that mean we're still stuck with doing it the first time though?

So far, I've been redoing the plethora of decals on our machines in Visualize, and as you said, it can be overwhelming if you have a ton of them to do.

-Mark

Chris Cunningham

I typically have 3 different workflows based on the complexity of the project. But the most common workflow: I have the same model in different configurations saved as .SLDASM files with different names.

And I will alter the name to update inside of Visualize. That way all materials and decals remain untouched. Just the model changes. The configurations are the different locking positions. For me it is the fastest way to swap to a different configuration. In seconds I can re-render a model in a different locking position.

Second workflow is I create a motion study inside of SolidWorks with a product, then export it. When doing it this way I haven't found a fast way of overlaying all the materials and decals from previous models. So when it opens inside of Visualize I then import a project that has everything done and drag the decals over and copy of the materials then delete out the old model. This is the workflow I was utilizing the decal trick with.

Third workflow is for advanced animating. When I get the scene, models and lighting dialed in I make duplicates of the save file and rename them with what the animation is doing. So I will have one file lifting a car. Another file the car is driving towards the approach. Another file I will explode out the parts. That way everything remains the exact same and if I mess up something I can always go back to the original. Old habit form after effects and Photoshop crashes back in the day.

Mark Jackson I have been in your shoes with the decals updating. The trick with that is just rename the new decal to the old decal being used in Visualize then hit update inside of Visualize.

Mark Jackson

Hey Chris, thanks for the great response to my questions. It's very helpful. Visualize is a new beast for me. I've got decades of graphic design and video production experience using all of Adobe's tools, and now a lot of work in Blender (the so called "Pro" software is not in the budget), but Visualize doesn't work much like any of them. I'm doing my best to get the results I want quickly while still left in a bit of a learning curve that I'm not sure should be as difficult as it is. I don't find quite a lot about Visualize that intuitive or precise.

I do find the help from you and other great users very, very valuable on this forum. I'm quite glad for that.

Edit: Oh yeah, Brian has given me a lot of great help too. Sorry to leave you out Brian.