1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 16, 2017 12:12 PM by Bill McEachern

Deflection of a beam in an assembly or weldment

Aaron Hayden

When studying a weldment or assembly is there a method to get deflection for a given component (beam) where the results are isolated from the deflections of the rest of the study? Displacement is a default result plot, but that result is cumulative. I would like to be able to see the deflection (flex) of a particular piece in the study relative to its relaxed state prior to being loaded. In the particular case that I am currently working on I have a 5 bar mechanism. One end fixed, the opposite is loaded. Pin connectors used at the pivot joints. I'm interested in the deflection of one of the links of this mechanism. The displacement results can be probed, but that only tells you the total displacement of a particular node from its starting position, not how much that beam deflected.

• Re: Deflection of a beam in an assembly or weldment
          Bill McEachern

Yes. Briefly, you need a coordinate system to be the reference and you add it under the plot definition tab - it might be under the advanced title below so you may have to expand that to see where you put in the reference. Further I  would isolate the component so the maximum on you component of interest just pops out - well provided you have the display min max on on part shown option turned on and show maximum also turned on.