4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2018 6:32 AM by Martin Solem

Saving new files while working offline

Gordon Rigg

I just had to spend some time recovering a situation when a colleague had inadvertantly started to work offline and had created a load of "phantom" parts.

suppose you pdm vault view is at C:\PDMstandard\

If you work off line the green files all go blue, but this guy didnt notice.

He then created files and saved them at C:\PDMstandard\whatever

Thing is, once back online these files are no longer visible in the explorer at C:\PDMstandard\whatever

This is bevuase they are saved, but not registered in the database. We could still get to them through his recent files list, some of them only as referenced in assemblies that were in his recwent fles list.

Checking in an assembly that had previpsouly been checked in, but to which some of these files had been added, failed to bring up the files - they just vanished out of the assembly in the vault, but were still there when it was opened from the recent files list.

I managed to rescue the situation by saving each file with a slightly different name into the vault now it was back online. Then eventually all the data was in the vault and hunky dory.

So this is a warning, if creating new files while offline place them in a temporary directory and NOT the apparent file path of your vault view. Then check them in at the correct directory location when you are back on line.

Have others experienced a similar issue? what is your strategy for this situation?

• Re: Saving new files while working offline
          Martin Solem

Hi!

The local vault view is both a view of the contents of the vault, but also a temporary storage area, and a local file and folder structure which will remain if you uninstall PDM. Since the path to the server files is local (C:\....), the files also needs to be local for other applications to find them, and that is what Get latest version and the local cache will do; Get a copy from the server and store them in your local vault view.

There are a number of ways to get a file into your cache, for example Get (latest) version, preview, opening, and of course adding new files.

Being offline or being online doesn't change much in the local cache, however some settings in PDM can make a huge difference.

Consider these settings (Administration-Vault-Group/User-Settings-Explorer):

When adding new files in offline mode, this will happen:

• Show all files - the files are visible, but grey which indicates they are local files only. Right click and select Add to File vault to add them when you are back online.
          • Show only files that are part of the vault - this will make all local files invisible when you get back online.
          • Show only local files - This will show you only the local files when you get back online.

New files and checked out files are not read-only, and will not be affected by the check box in the bottom of the picture.

Copied files added that already had the read only flag active, will continue to be read only in their new destination, and there is a good chance they will be deleted if the checkbox is checked.

Basically, with Show all files selected, working offline should not be too hard. However, there were no search ability in PDM for local files until 2017 version:

So before 2017, you have to remember all locations where you added new files, and manually add them. Or look through your folders after the typically grey colored files.

Martin

Gordon Rigg

Thanks.

I hadnt fully understood that, so that wil help when I go away on my upcoming trip...

Up to now we hadn't intended any working off line, and that is why it became an issue.

Mark Biasotti

I just had a situation over the past 24 hours where I created some new SW parts while I was in "offline" mode. and saved them in the vault local folder.  Now that I'm back online, I can not check in these files.

When I open the file it appears like this: the icon is semitransparent and it is a <Local File> as I would expect

Screen Shot 2018-02-27 at 6.59.39 PM.png

When I open the file and then go to the PDM task manager, Have no options to check it in, even thou it is located in the local vault directory. I think this has something to do with the fact that when I created and saved these file, I did not get the data card dialog like I do when I'm on line, so the files don't belong to the vault because they don't have the PDM custom properties info?

Screen Shot 2018-02-27 at 7.03.07 PM.png