13 Replies Latest reply on Nov 20, 2017 7:46 AM by Doug Seibel

Move only attached parts

Lukas Lang

Hi everyone,

I have built an assembly with several movable parts. If I move a part, SW only moves what is necessary to fulfill the constraints. What I would like to happen is that when moving a part, everything that is attached to that part will stay grouped to the moving one, while the rest should stay fixed. I have looked at the "Temporary Fix/Group" option, which achieves a similar effect, but I would like it to happen every time I move something. Can this be done in SW?

I have attached a file to demonstrate what I mean: If the middle part is moved, the top one stays in place. What I need to happen is that the top part stays in place relative to the middle one.

[Edit]

Also, I want to be able to move the top part in such a way that the middle and bottom part stay fixed.

So:

• Move middle part -> Top part stays fixed to middle part
      • Move top part -> Only top part moves, other two stay fixed

[/Edit]

[Edit 2]

I have attached a second assembly (to avoid any confusion: All the parts are virtual, so the assembly is self contained) to demonstrate my problem.

• Note how moving the black part (the one that is not fixed) does not move anything else
      • Now move the single rod at the top. The middle black part seems to stick to it

Is there any way I can reverse this effect? (i.e. rod sticks to black part, but black part not to rod) The reverse effect is obviously achievable.

[/Edit 2]

Message was edited by: Lukas Lang (added clarification)

Message was edited by: Lukas Lang (added second example)

• Re: Move only attached parts
          John Wayman

Lukas,

You have attached only the .sldasm file. You need to use File, Pack & Go to save the sldasm file and its associated sldprt files to a zip file, then attach that to your message.

Only then will the forum users be able to open your assembly.

John

Glenn Schroeder

Lukas Lang wrote:

Hi everyone,

I have built an assembly with several movable parts. If I move a part, SW only moves what is necessary to fulfill the constraints.   Then you need to add more constraints.  The software can only work with the information you give it.  What I would like to happen is that when moving a part, everything that is attached to that part will stay grouped to the moving one, while the rest should stay fixed. You need to apply Mates between the Parts that you want to move together so that their positions remain the same relative to each other.  I have looked at the "Temporary Fix/Group" option, which achieves a similar effect, but I would like it to happen every time I move something. Can this be done in SW?  Yes, with Mates.  Mates are a very basic part of working with Assemblies.  Have you worked through any of the tutorials, or gotten any other instruction in working with Assemblies?

I have attached a file to demonstrate what I mean: If the middle part is moved, the top one stays in place. What I need to happen is that the top part stays in place relative to the middle one.  As was said above, we can't open an Assembly without the Parts.

Thomas Voetmann

Try using Lock mate.

Lukas Lang

That's not what I'm after.

I realize that I didn't not explain it properly (I have edited the original question to include the following clarification) - I want to be able to move the top part in such a way that the middle and bottom part stay fixed.

So:

• Move middle part -> Top part stays fixed to middle part
                  • Move top part -> Only top part moves, other two stay fixed
                  J. Mather

It sounds like  you might need to go to the SolidWorks Motion environment, but without the parts...., not even a screen capture image...

...well, it is not really possible to advise.

But if you can do the motion/action in the real world you should be able to do in in SolidWorks.

Thomas Voetmann

Not sure, but maybe look into Move Component and Physical Dynamics. Think about maybe make some hidden bodies to control collision.

Doug Seibel

Delete the mates I have highlighted below

Make these faces coincident

Make these faces coincident

Now go to "Move Component" and be sure to click on "Physical Dynamics"

Click on a part and drag it.