1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 15, 2017 12:25 PM by Iain McEwen

How can I stop getting  "Solidworks shell extension server has stopped working" messages

Matthew Clark

Hello,

Our IT guy recently installed SW 2017 on my machine replacing SW 2015.  After the install I constantly get the error message "solidworks shell extenstion server has stopped working" when browsing for files in windows.  The IT guy is at a loss for how to fix it.  Does anyone know of a real fix besides turning the file browser type to list instead of thumbnail. 

Matt

• Re: How can I stop getting  "Solidworks shell extension server has stopped working" messages
          Iain McEwen

Hi Matt,

This problem is due to the registration of some specific SolidWorks DLLs.

To workaround this problem, registering the following DLLs via a command prompt should stop this error message from occurring:

For 32-bit installations:

regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\Common Files\SolidWorks Shared\sldshellutilsXXu.dll"

regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\Common Files\SolidWorks Shared\sldwinshellextu.dll"

regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\SolidWorks\SolidWorks\sldwinshellextu.dll"

For 64-bit installations:

regsvr32 "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\SolidWorks Shared\sldshellutilsXXu.dll"

regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\Common Files\SolidWorks Shared\sldshellutilsXXu.dll"

regsvr32 "C:\Program Files (x86)\SolidWorksx86\sldwinshellextu.dll"

regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\SolidWorks\SolidWorks\sldwinshellextu.dll"

regsvr32 "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\SolidWorks Shared\sldwinshellextu.dll"

(where XX is the latest version of the dll that appears in the folder)