Dan Pihlaja

which is better: Creating 1 structural member with multiple groups, or creating multiple structural members, each with their own feature?

Discussion created by Dan Pihlaja on Nov 10, 2017
Latest reply on Nov 14, 2017 by Jim Steinmeyer
Branched from an earlier discussion

Branched from: What is the best way to control the minimum distance between two 3D Splines?

Because of a separate question (on the advice of Matt).

OK, just to show you what I have done:

It is way easier to control now:

Basically, what I did was add a virtual part to my assembly and that one part holds all my pneumatic tubing lines.

Each 3D sketch just has the fitting holes as converted entities and then just 3 lines.  1 coming straight out of each fitting and then 1 line connecting those two lines.  And then a simple sketch fillet between the 3 lines.

Now, I can control the entire path just by editing the length of each of the lines and the radii of the fillets.

Then, once I had all the 3d sketches complete, I just added 1 single structural member with multiple groups and selected each of the 3D sketches.

I guess, from your experience (Glenn or anyone else), which is better: Creating 1 structural member with multiple groups, or creating multiple structural members, each with their own feature?

Either way, it creates a cut list of 12 members, but which one is more robust?

Outcomes