2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2017 4:54 PM by Colin Butler

Defining Connections for Static Simulation on a mixed solid and beam assembly

Colin Butler

Hello all,

This is my first post on this site and I am an amateur user so please forgive me for my ignorance. I have exhausted my resources trying to solve this problem and now I am reaching out for help.

I have a suspension assembly that I am attempting to do a static analysis on and I am having issues fully constraining the model.

I have attached the simplified model that I am using for the analysis, any insight that I can obtain will be extremely helpful.

Thank you,

Colin

When I mesh the model several sections of my beam elements disappear and I think this might be a clue to what is happening.

Message was edited by: Colin Butler

• Re: Defining Connections for Static Simulation on a mixed solid and beam assembly
          Ryan Navarro

Hi Colin,

I think you'll need to re-upload your file, it only contained the .SLDASM assembly file. We would need the individual part files too. Easy way to do this is to do a File -> Pack and Go operation from the assembly which will package everything up in a zip file.

From looking at your screenshot though, I can offer some general advice

Do you need to treat those two components of the arm as beams? SOLIDWORKS does that automatically if they are weldment structural members, but you can override it by right clicking the component from the Simulation tree and choosing "Treat as Solid". That's what I would recommend here as they are relatively short and stubby, and feature intricate connections that would be difficult to capture with the beam mesh.

Once they are treated as solid, the next question is - what do the contact interface between the arm and the other components look like?

If they are clean, coincident contact surfaces with no interference, they should be automatically bonded by the Global Component contact.

If the above is not true (as looks to be the case of the two tabs with the thru hole, like they may not be touching the arm or coped to it nicely) then you'll need to define local bonding.

This is done by right clicking the connections folder and choosing contact set, and selecting the face of the tab, then the face of the arm to establish a local bonded contact. You would then want to repeat this process per tab (or whatever other item) until all contacts are defined.

Properly defined contacts are one of the most important things for assembly analysis and unfortunately not very well documented in the tutorials. Though it is a big focus of the official SOLIDWORKS Simulation training class if you ever get the opportunity to take that.

You can also use the "Contact Visualization Plot" to visualize where you have contacts, and if you are missing any.