7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2017 5:06 PM by David Matula

Parts coming from old folder

Michael MacDonald

I copied a project folder in Windows, and re-named the folder.  I deleted some parts from the new folder.  I opened an assembly from the new folder, and the deleted parts exist!  "Find References" shows they come from the old folder.

Why does this happen?

More importantly, what are best practices for maintaining multiple design prototypes of a big project?

Thank-you

• Re: Parts coming from old folder
          Brad Meador

Solidworks holds the links from one folder to another.  You will have to do a "Pack and Go" to keep the links.  I have always discouraged users from using different folders and just have a decent file naming scheme until the part numbers are assigned in  our PLM.

Wayne Schafer

Use solidworks explorer to copy, change, rename.  But it is slow.

Glenn Schroeder

Here's my practice for projects that will likely have changes as I go along (which is almost all of them):  I have a folder for drafting stuff for each project.  Inside this folder I'll create another folder with the date as the folder name.  Start the project with all SW files in this folder.  Whenever I think appropriate I'll do a Pack and Go to a new folder (again, with the date as the folder name).  Close all old files and open the new one.  Delete or modify components as needed.  By doing this any deleted files get left behind.  Repeat as needed until the design is finalized.  At this point I Pack and Go the final version straight into the Drafting folder and delete the preliminary folders.

Some people won't like this method since it creates multiple files with the same name, but that can be overcome at least three different ways during the Pack and Go process if you want.  I've never had any problems with it as long as I make sure to not have multiple files open from multiple folders at the same time.

If you're not familiar with Pack and Go, open your top level Assembly (or Drawing) and go to File > Pack and Go.  That will open a dialog box where you can copy the open file, along with any files it references, to a new location (or the same location with new names).

Jim Sculley

Michael MacDonald wrote:

I copied a project folder in Windows, and re-named the folder. I deleted some parts from the new folder. I opened an assembly from the new folder, and the deleted parts exist! "Find References" shows they come from the old folder.

Why does this happen?

SOLIDWORKS searches in all sorts of places when it can't find a file in the expected location.  The gory details are covered here:

2018 SOLIDWORKS Help - Search Routine for Referenced Documents

David Matula

sounds like you need to to some work on your system options... file locations and then search path.  this will keep the program from looking for the older files that you did not want to have to reuse. 

OR is it the file explorer tab?

They added a lot of system options in the past few releases and I have gotten behind....

SolidWorks used to look in the main folder first for parts then it would start looking to where the other files were last saved..

I like the pack and go and add a prefix or suffix to the files for new projects that would have to be unlinked.  Then as you finalize each part you can give it the correct name, and or save it in the right location.

Michael MacDonald

Thanks all.

Brad - decent file naming - yes!

I like your system of folder-dating Glenn.  I'll give it a shot.

Michael