18 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2017 11:42 AM by Maha Nadarasa

Moving SWX folder

Maha Nadarasa

There is a problem. If I saved and closed all SWX files in a folder on desktop it is not possible to move that folder into another folder unless I close the SWX application. How to fix this issue? That means I want to move the folder that contain SWX files without closing the SWX application.

• Re: Moving SWX folder
          Dave Bear

Hi Maha,

You need to use SolidWorks Explorer.

Within SolidWorks, go to Tools>SolidWorks Applications>SolidWorks Explorer.

Then you can do what you want within that window which looks a lot like Windows Explorer but the difference is that doing it this way helps SolidWorks keep track of the file references and changes you have made. Basically, it will know where to look for stuff after you have moved it and keep it's linked references. If you were to just move SolidWorks files through Windows Explorer, you would break all of this data.

Dave.

**** EDIT **** DO NOT MOVE ANY SOLIDWORKS PROGRAM FILES ****

Maha Nadarasa

It is not coming. I think my problem is not clear enough. Let me shorten the sentence.

If SWX files are in a folder, it is not possible to move that folder into My Document folder unless I close the SWX application. How to fix this issue?

This is the message I get even though all the relevant files are closed in the SWX application.   

1.png

Erik Bilello

I'd guess that it might be a Windows issue.  There have been plenty of times when I couldn't move or delete a file because Windows was convinced that something (It will never tell you what.) was still using it.

Dave Bear

Although the actual part file or whatever it is may be closed, SolidWorks could still be holding on to some of it's recent information in the background somewhere which is preventing you from moving it.

EDIT Thinking about this a little bit more Maha and I've realised that I've never experienced the issue you are having. Not with my SolidWorks files anyway. And the reason for this could be because all of my actual 'working' files are on my D: and not my C: drive. I'm only speculating here, but because you have your folders set up in your 'Documents' folder in your C: drive the could be Windows apps that are keeping the files alive in the background without you knowing so that Windows can perform it's wonderful so-called quick access, and recent stuff etc. Perhaps this could be where the issue stems from?

I have never NOT been able to move, rename or change a file with SolidWorks Explorer which makes me think it's a Window's issue more than anything else. I have also noticed over time that many other users also use the partition on their hard drive D: or indeed a different hard drive altogether for all of their SolidWorks files just like I do. Now they may have their own different reasons but mine is simply because all of my valuable SolidWorks material is in one place away from the program data and it is easy for me to back up my complete SolidWorks portfolio........

Dave.

Maha Nadarasa

I have a folder called Solid Work Resource in my Document I usually back up this one often in an external HD. Partitioning Hard Drive is a good idea but I wish to know whether it has a significant advantage over my method.

1.png 

Dave Bear

Put simply,

Your 'Documents' folder on your C: drive is being accessed by Windows all of the time in the background. It is a primary folder which is why it shows prominently when you open Windows Explorer. You will note that when your PC senses that something is a document or PDF etc it will usually prompt you to automatically save it to 'Documents'. Standard protocol. Windows will always try to automatically do things with you documents to speed things up for you and to do this it is always accessing that folder.

It is good that you back up to an external drive. But in the meantime, your SolidWorks files are lying in the midst of common place files that Windows is watching which is why the partition D: is better. IMHO

Dave.

John Stoltzfus

Why not just quit SW and restart SW if that's what works??

Dave Bear

You could always try to plan ahead and ensure that they are in the right folder to start with............

Dave.

Rick McDonald

Maha,

Another thing to consider (for files from any application), The C: drive is the main drive where your "Program files" and their required resource files (the files the "program" needs to operate, not the data files) are stored.  If you load up your C: drive with "support files" such as the part, drawing, assembly or things like documents or spreadsheets, movies, etc., Windows will have to search through all those files to find the files the Programs need to access to operate - this will slow down your systems operation.

Also, Windows shares disk space on the C: drive (usually the C drive) as a "Swap file location" for when the physical memory (Ram) in your system is not large enough to handle all the data and programs it needs. this means that it will read and write to the slower swap file location on the disk instead of keep it all in the fast ram.

Again, if your disk is filling up, Windows needs to search more and do more read and write operations that are not in contiguous disk space that will slow down the access of the data.

These are also good reasons to have your data files on a separate disk - preferably a separate hard drive - but at lease a different logical drive.

I put all my cad files on a separate hard disk under a folder named "Cad Drawings" and then have sub folders for projects and then sub folders under those for the data for those projects.  If you Plan Ahead (as Dave Bear said above) and create your folder structure at the very beginning of a project, then you won't have to move many folders or files later.

I create desktop shortcuts to my currently being worked on projects for easy access to those locations and when I am done I can delete the shortcut without disturbing the file structure.