83 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2018 3:42 PM by Matt Peneguy

How to select all pre-existing balloons to modify?

Jennifer Farrar

In a .slddrw, Can all pre-existing balloons be selected all at once to edit as a group:

create a layer of only all the balloons (not notes)

remove circles around item numbers

remove arrow or point from leader ends

change font size?

I have tried the Balloon Properties window, but it doesn't seem to allow for grabbing

all the balloons and editing them all at once.

Can additional layers be created on Save As DWG in the options window to:

create a layer that is only balloons,

create a layer that is only notes,

create a layer that is only blocks,

create a layer that is only sections,

create layers that are more specific and other than what is listed in the drop down of the layers mapping window?

This is because the original .slddrw files don't have any layers,

so I am using the Save As DWG Layer Mapping to try to separate layers that can be further edited as groups.

• Re: How to select all pre-existing balloons to modify?
          David Matula

Let me see....I think that it is ctrl click and then you can select the balloons and then change them in the property manager. The layer thing should be about the same....I have never needed to use layers on my drawings....but they are there to use as you see fit.  Layers in acad are like the feature manager...to control and be able to select the lines in the drawings easier...at least that was the way I would use them last time I had to use acad. 

Tom dunn

Hi Jennifer, I would turn on the selection filter, and then use the selection for balloons....... Tools-Customize- (check selection filter shown below)

oh yeah forgot to mention F6 will turn the selection filter off or select icon shown below

Glenn Schroeder

Hello Jennifer,

Welcome to the forum.  There is a limited number of options controlled by Layers in SW.  In fact, it's restricted to 5: color, line thickness, line type, visibility, and print/don't print.  The other options you mentioned can be controlled at Tools > Options > Document Properties.  However, any changes made in Options may only affect new annotations.  It depends on the Annotation type.  Some will update with changes made in Options and some won't.

For existing annotations you can Ctrl+select multiple balloons (or notes, etc) and change their properties all with one operation in the Property Manager.

Does this help?

Glenn

Deepak Gupta

Jennifer Farrar wrote:

In a .slddrw, Can all pre-existing balloons be selected all at once to edit as a group:

create a layer of only all the balloons (not notes)

remove circles around item numbers

remove arrow or point from leader ends

change font size?

Yes you can select them all and change properties at once. Select one balloon and press ctrl + A (this would select all balloons). Now click on any balloon to show the balloon property manager and changes the properties and layer as needed.

Jennifer Farrar

When I Save As to DWG/DXF, from the .slddrw, I map layers via the Options window,

but I can't get enough/more detailed layer separation.

When I Save As to .AI, from the .slddrw, there is no available Options window.

I then open the files in Adobe Illustrator to manipulate for making parts book illustrations.

The results with the DWG/DXF are good, and allows for a layer of BALLOON,

which I created in .SLDDRW before exporting and use the Options window to map,

but I would like a layer for each: CIRCLE, TEXT, LEADER, ARROW.

The results with the .AI are good, but allows for only one layer,

which is automatically created upon export with hidden settings,

that create groups in Illustrator for CIRCLE, LEADER, ARROW.

I want to be able to export a DWG/DXF with the same detailed level of layer separation

that the .AI export is creating automatically into groups

because DWG/DXF allows for more settings such as creating all the other layers

that I want to remove fast in Illustrator and the DWG/DXF can open in Illustrator with

automatic page scaling.

Basically I know exactly what features I want/need, but don't find SW capable.

How/where/can I edit the .AI export settings in more detail?

and/or

How/where/can I edit the .slddrw balloons/layers in more detail?

CTRL A or the Filter tool will select all the balloons and notes no problem,

opening the Balloon Properties is no problem,

but selecting only the balloons and not the notes and editing only the balloons is the challenge.

I want to be able to select only the balloons and the components of the balloons

to make layers of them and/or edit them:

remove all circles, or remove all arrowheads from leaders.

The .slddrw Balloons Property Window doesn't have the option for no circle

when selecting all balloons and "mass editing" and the leader drop-down

won't activate, can't edit the leader, when all balloons are selected.

Jennifer Farrar

I am working with pre-existing .slddrw files that do not include any layers,

the files have multiple sheets and sometimes hundreds of balloons and notes.

Creating layers manually afterwards,

by going thru each sheet of the .slddrw,

to select balloons, or deselect each note,

is not fast enough.

Deepak Gupta

I can create a macro for you which would would change the properties of balloons in the active drawing and move them to a new layer. Macro can be made to work on active sheet or all sheets.

Deepak Gupta

The macro is almost ready to move balloons to a layer (layer should already be there int he drawing). Working on how to modify the balloons further for other changes.

Jennifer Farrar

I would like there to be a layer for balloons only

and I would like to potentially take it a step further:

have a layer for balloon circles only,

have a layer for balloon leaders only,

have a layer for balloon arrowheads only,

have a layer for balloon text only,

have a layer for notes only.

So that when I open the DWG/DWF in Adobe Illustrator,

I can quickly select layers and make modifications.

Deepak Gupta

Jennifer Farrar wrote:

and I would like to potentially take it a step further:

have a layer for balloon circles only,

have a layer for balloon leaders only,

have a layer for balloon arrowheads only,

have a layer for balloon text only,

Sorry but this is not possible unless you create them all separately in the SOLDIWORKS itself.

Jennifer Farrar

okay, thanks.

interesting though because when saving the .slddrw with Save As .AI file,

the export automatically creates separate groups for those items:

CIRCLE, LEADER, ARROWHEADS, TEXT

when creating the .AI file.

When I open the .AI file, I can see those items all listed separately within in the one layer,

they are each labeled "compound path".

It sure would be nice to have the DWG/DXF export have the ability to select those items:

The .AI export automatically finds them and automatically groups them.

In Adobe Illustrator, when I select one balloon circle, it can select all the balloon circles as a pre-set/pre-defined group,

and when I select one leader line, it can select all the leader lines as a pre-set/pre-defined group,

and when I select one arrowhead, it can select all the arrowheads as a pre-set/pre-defined group.

While the DWG/DXF export can find some more layers, it's not broken down enough

to select just the balloons, without the notes.

and it can't select CIRCLE, LEADER, ARROWHEADS, TEXT separately.

So, I want the DWG/DXF export to do what the .AI already does, but better and with more control and break down,

more settings and at least be able to separate the notes from the balloons.

It would be helpful if the .AI export had some settings window to see.

Deepak Gupta

Not sure how to do that with DWG/DXF export similar to what you get with AI export. Can you convert the AI to DWG/DXF and see if you get the required layers?

Also if I can ask, what is you final desired result by converting to AI or DWG/DXF file?.

Jennifer Farrar

Final desired result is to select all pre-existing balloons to modify.

Remove all arrowheads/point ends from all leaders, remove circles from balloons.

Deepak Gupta

Try the attached updated macro in post below (https://forum.solidworks.com/message/798820#comment-798820 ). Make sure you take backup of your files first before running the macro.

The macro would work on active drawing only and would update all balloons on all sheet. The balloon style will be changed to None, no leaders and font would be set to as shown in the picture below. You can change these to desired values in the macro itself.

The layer name is set as Balloon Layer in the macro which you can change to any desired name. If the layer doesn't exists in the drawing, the macro would add that layer. Color is set to blue but you can change to desired color as needed by changing the RGB value..

To run the macro, extract the SWP file and place anywhere. Now with the drawing active go to tools > macro > run and select the extract SWP file. Finally wait for the msgbox to appear stating balloons have been updated.

Jennifer Farrar

Good Morning Deepak!

Thank You for creating this Macro!

I am excited to try it now!

With this macro, is it possible to leave all the leaders in the document,

and just remove all arrowheads/point ends from all leaders?

Deepak Gupta

Good Morning Jennifer (though it almost late evening here in India).

Well the macro I posted above would completely remove the leader but yes that can be changed to keep the leaders line and only remove arrowheads. Let me play with that and suggest back. In the meantime can you try that macro out for other functions?

Jennifer Farrar

Good Evening Deepak!

I tried to run the macro, but nothing happened.

So now I'm investigating to see what the problem might be.

Deepak Gupta

Jennifer, were you able to find as why macro is not working for you? Can you try the macro I posted above along with video showing how to use the macro and it's end result.

Also the macro attached to this post will keep the leader lines without arrowheads

Jennifer Farrar

Hello Deepak,

I have SW 2015, but will be upgraded to 2017 soon.

What version do you have? Perhaps this macro is not working for me because of my SW version?

Rick Becker

Jennifer Farrar wrote:

...What version do you have? ...

I'm using 2016 SP5.0

Deepak Gupta

Jennifer Farrar wrote:

Hello Deepak,

I have SW 2015, but will be upgraded to 2017 soon.

What version do you have? Perhaps this macro is not working for me because of my SW version?

I've SW 2013 to 2018 but macro should work on any of these versions. You can try updating the macro reference as suggested here (don't worry on the fact that video is for fixing missing library error but check the process to update your macro library): Fix-Update SOLIDWORKS Macro References

Let me know if that still doesn't work.

Jennifer Farrar

hmmmm...

I don't get any error message, just nothing happens.

I followed your video about editing the macro in the tools>references

and unchecked the missing boxes from the list,

and re-saved the macro, but still no luck.

I had our engineering manager try to run the macro too,

but nothing happened for him either.

So he referred me to our IT dept to see if they can work with your macro.

Wish me luck!

I am VERY grateful for all your help and input from everyone here on this forum!

If/when I get some answers and/or results, I will be back to share!

Deepak Gupta

Jennifer Farrar wrote:

I followed your video about editing the macro in the tools>references

and unchecked the missing boxes from the list,

and re-saved the macro,

You also need to select the same libraries for your version of SOLIDWORKS i.e. 2015

Jennifer Farrar

oh! well it's a long list in the tools>references,,,

how will I know exactly what to check or uncheck?

Jennifer Farrar

okay! wow! YAY!

I just went thru the long list in tools>references,

and selected anything that said Solidworks 2015 or looked like

SW files, 2015 or not specified.

I had already unchecked all the files in the list that said Solidworks 2016

or that said "missing" and then I resaved your macro,

and BOOM!

IT WORKS!!!!!! YIPEEEEEEE!!!! I am so happy, this is fun!

EXCELLENT WORK DEEPAK!!!! YOU'RE THE MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank You for following through on all this too because I know it's tedious,

but now I have a solution to share with my group and can keep my job.

Deepak, you are the guru!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Deepak Gupta

Glad to hear that you finally got it working. For your future reference, here is list of library you generally need to select.

Jennifer Farrar

Could you edit the macro so that the balloons stay with circles afterall

because of the stacked balloons. (see how they are stacking on top of each other when the circles are removed,

and the circles also help in spacing the callout text from the leaders, so the circles should remain afterall) . . .

And could you edit the macro so that the leader lines stay with the arrowheads/endpoints afterall too

because it's really not necessary for us to have the leader lines with arrowheads/endpoints removed.

Now, to go a step further? , , ,

can the macro also isolate and select all the section titles and section view labels

and put them into a separate layer? (so that they are separated from all the other notes)

can the macro also isolate and select all the cross hatching

and put them into a separate layer? (so that they are separated from the section views)

Deepak Gupta

Jennifer Farrar wrote:

Could you edit the macro so that the balloons stay with circles afterall

because of the stacked balloons. (see how they are stacking on top of each other when the circles are removed,

and the circles also help in spacing the callout text from the leaders, so the circles should remain afterall) . . .

And could you edit the macro so that the leader lines stay with the arrowheads/endpoints afterall too

because it's really not necessary for us to have the leader lines with arrowheads/endpoints removed.

This is what you get when you add balloons (even if they already exists). So what you want to use macro for them?

can the macro also isolate and select all the section titles and section view labels

and put them into a separate layer? (so that they are separated from all the other notes)

and put them into a separate layer? (so that they are separated from the section views)

I'll have to check about these two.

Jennifer Farrar

Thank You Deepak,

I need the macro to be able to change the font to Arial and font size to what you have in the macro already

which will automatically resize the circle with it to accommodate the larger font change,

and the macro is needed to make one layer that includes all balloons and all leaders on all sheets.

Your macro is excellent and doing the job that solidworks couldn't and if we can get it tweaked a bit more it will be perfect.

I know it's a challenge, but it's VERY worth it.

Jennifer Farrar

your super great macro isolates all the balloons and leaders from all the other notes

to make one balloon/leader layer for all the sheets in the .slddrw

Jennifer Farrar

Now, to go a step further? , , ,

and put them into a separate layer?

one layer that includes only all the section titles and section views that is isolated/separated from all the other notes.

one layer that includes only all the cross hatching that is isolated/separated from all other notes

(actually if the cross hatching could be included in the geometry layer, that would be best).

It's really just a matter of being able to better pull apart and isolate entities in layers of all the sheets per .slddrw better

when exporting a DWG/DXF with Layer Mapping.

For example:

SW "Layer 0" should be name editable and only include only one group of items,

not cross hatching and section views, but one or the other, and not any parts of any blocks, not any parts of the sheet formatting.

SW "Layer Format" should only include all format items, including all sheet formatting and all blocks,

not any other notes.

SW "Layer SLD-0" should be name editable and only include ?

SW "Layer Notes" should only include all notes,

not any balloons/leaders, not any section titles, not any parts of the formatting, not any parts of the title block, not any parts of any blocks.

SW "Layers Geometry" should only include geometry AND cross hatching.

and finally, this last Balloon Layer that we are now improving and creating via your macro

should only include all balloons, not any notes, which you have achieved very good thank you,

And there should actually be a new separate layer isolating all leaders,

and a new isolated layer separating all arrowheads/endpoints of leaders,

and a new isolated layer separating all circles of balloons from the actual callout/text of each balloon,

so that everything can be further edited much faster and easier.

This screenshot shows the exported layers we have so far available from SW Layer Mapping export to DWG/DXF.

See how the crosshatching and section views are on the same layer,

in that "SW Layer 0" which is pulled down to the bottom half of the page for you to see.

See how the "SW Layer Notes" is pulled down to the bottom half of the page,

it should not include the sheet formatting numbering all around the perimeter of the sheet,

and should not include any text in the title block, nor any text in the other blocks,

nor any sections titles because the sections titles and section views should be in a separate layer together.

Deepak Gupta

Sorry I had already gone to sleep when you posted this. Will see and update the macro soon.

Deepak Gupta

The balloon leader, arrowhead, text and circle can not be made independent and hence can not be moved to separate layers. I'm still looking into for view labels but the attached macro will update the balloons to tight fit, no arrow heads, font changes and move them to new layer.

Try it out and share the results.

Jennifer Farrar

Thank You Deepak!!!

This macro (V4) works VERY good!!!

Perfect for our needs with the balloons!!!

and I when I open the exported DWG/DXF sheet in Adobe Illustrator in 8.5" x 11" portrait page size,

I can further edit the balloon positions so that they aren't overlapping

and are spaced apart better and I can remove the not needed extra leader lines from the stacked balloons,,,

all very good!!! THANK YOU!!! (see SECTION AY-AY)

The next request/step is to be able to delete the notes layer, which doesn't include section titles.

(for example "SECTION AY-AY" will stay while all other notes can be deleted)

Jennifer Farrar

Thank You Deepak.

I am just wondering if the Layers can be further separated:

" , , ,

one layer that includes only all the section titles and section views that is isolated/separated from all the other notes.

one layer that includes only all the cross hatching that is isolated/separated from all other notes

(actually if the cross hatching could be included in the geometry layer, that would be best).

It's really just a matter of being able to better pull apart and isolate entities in layers of all the sheets per .slddrw better

when exporting a DWG/DXF with Layer Mapping."

Deepak Gupta

Jennifer Farrar wrote:

The section title (this would include section line also) and labels can be moved to same layer OR different.

Putting hatch on layer is a new option in SOLIDWORKS 2018. So not possible with lower versions I think.

Jennifer Farrar

Hello Deepak,

I have since discovered that we need to remove any quantities

from all balloons and we need to have the stacked balloons

in number order going down.

Could this be done in the macro?

Deepak Gupta

Jennifer Farrar wrote:

I have since discovered that we need to remove any quantities from all balloons

Sorry for a delayed response on this one. I'm sure that quantities can be removed. I'll see if I can get some time over weekend to update the macro but I can not give a surety.

we need to have the stacked balloons in number order going down.

Like some of the other limitations, I do not think if this can be done.

Jennifer Farrar

Hello Deepak,

I still only have SW 2015 here, hoping for 2017 soon.

For now I'm successfully using the macro you provided to change all balloons

and leaders with arrowheads to red color, Arial, Bold,

and moving/making a Balloon Layer with that macro.

Thank You! This has been a great help for our team in

converting .SLDDRW files for parts book creation with all the

Engineering dept. .SLDDRW files that were all created without any layers.

I must Save As the files as DWGs in order to retain font compatibility

when using the files in other softwares. Print to PDF would not retain,

nor embed, any fonts properly for our parts books software,

so when I Save As DWG I can retain the actual fonts properly,

but now with my layer mapping I can't figure out how to retain the red color on Save As DWG

of the Balloon Layer that we make with the macro.

How do I set-up the Layer Mapping to keep the red color of the Balloon Layer?

Matt Peneguy

I'm with Rick Becker on this.  The macro Deepak has provided you is not overly complicated to open and modify to suit your needs.  Which appear from this 5 page, 74 post thread to be a moving target.  With the amount of time you are awaiting a response from Deepak, if you just used 5 minutes each time you made the request investigating how his macro works, you'd how to modify them yourself.

Choose the green arrow, not the red arrow:

Then scroll down and you'll see some things that start to make a little bit of sense:

Take some initiative.  You may be surprised at what you can do.

Deepak Gupta

Balloons are treated as notes only, so there is no separate entity for them in the list. Not sure what else can be done.

Jennifer Farrar

Thank You Deepak.

I'm still trying to make the balloons a separated layer

and ideally to make the balloon, the leader, and the balloon text

each separated layers.

We need to have editable files to further work on in other softwares

for making parts books that have hotpointed balloons.

So grateful you could provide the macro to edit all the balloons.

Now just searching for a way to output the balloons layer only in red.

I can output the balloons layer in red with all the other notes layer in red,

via the DWG layer mapping,

but need to have the balloons only in red and not the notes in red.

Print As PDF could output the colors as I need, but it looses the font,

even when embed font is selected, so I am back to working with the DWG output.

New challenges everyday.

Jennifer Farrar

Hello Deepak,

below is the macro from you which I have edited and am using happily now,

is there a way to make only the balloon text black,

but keep the balloon, leader, and arrows in red?

'Move Balloons to Layer V 4.swp ------------- 11/07/17

'Description: Macro to move balloons to specified layer and edit ballon properties as specified.

'Please back up your data before use and USE AT OWN RISK

' This macro is provided as is.  No claims, support, refund, safety net, or
                                                                                                                                                    ' warranties are expressed or implied.  By using this macro and/or its code in
                                                                                                                                                    ' any way whatsoever, the user and any entities which the user represents,
                                                                                                                                                    ' agree to hold the authors free of any and all liability.  Free distribution
                                                                                                                                                    ' and use of this code in other free works is welcome.  If any portion of
                                                                                                                                                    ' this code is used in other works, credit to the authors must be placed in
                                                                                                                                                    ' that work within a user viewable location (e.g., macro header).  All other
                                                                                                                                                    ' forms of distribution (i.e., not free, fee for delivery, etc.) are prohibited
                                                                                                                                                    ' without the expressed written consent by the authors.  Use at your own risk!
                                                                                                                                                    ' ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                                                                                                                                    ' Written by: Deepak Gupta (http://gupta9665.com/)
                                                                                                                                                    ' -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Option Explicit
                                                                                                                                                        Dim swApp                   As SldWorks.SldWorks
                                                                                                                                                        Dim swModel                 As SldWorks.ModelDoc2
                                                                                                                                                        Dim swDraw                  As SldWorks.DrawingDoc
                                                                                                                                                        Dim currAnn                 As SldWorks.Annotation
                                                                                                                                                        Dim swView                  As SldWorks.View
                                                                                                                                                        Dim swTextFormat            As SldWorks.TextFormat
                                                                                                                                                        Dim swLayerMgr              As SldWorks.LayerMgr
                                                                                                                                                        Dim swNote                  As SldWorks.Note
                                                                                                                                                        Dim i                       As Long
                                                                                                                                                        Dim annArray                As Variant
                                                                                                                                                        Dim obj                     As Variant
                                                                                                                                                        Dim vSheetName              As Variant
                                                                                                                                                        Dim strValue                As String
                                                                                                                                                        Const sLayerName            As String = "Balloon Layer" 'Change layer name here
                                                                                                                                                    Sub Main()

Set swApp = Application.SldWorks
                                                                                                                                                    Set swModel = swApp.ActiveDoc

If swModel Is Nothing Then
                                                                                                                                                        MsgBox "No SolidWorks Drawing File loaded."
                                                                                                                                                        End
                                                                                                                                                    End If

If swModel.GetType <> swDocDRAWING Then
                                                                                                                                                        MsgBox "Active file is not a SolidWorks Drawing File."
                                                                                                                                                        End
                                                                                                                                                    End If

Set swDraw = swModel

'Check and create the layer if required. Change layer color by changing the RGB value
                                                                                                                                                    Set swLayerMgr = swDraw.GetLayerManager
                                                                                                                                                    If swLayerMgr.GetLayer(sLayerName) Is Nothing Then
                                                                                                                                                    swLayerMgr.AddLayer sLayerName, sLayerName, RGB(255, 0, 0), 0, 0
                                                                                                                                                    End If

vSheetName = swDraw.GetSheetNames

For i = 0 To UBound(vSheetName)
                                                                                                                                                        swDraw.ActivateSheet vSheetName(i)
                                                                                                                                                        Set swView = swDraw.GetFirstView
                                                                                                                                                        Set swView = swView.GetNextView

While Not swView Is Nothing
                                                                                                                                                            annArray = swView.GetAnnotations
                                                                                                                                                            If Not IsEmpty(annArray) Then
                                                                                                                                                                For Each obj In annArray
                                                                                                                                                                    Set currAnn = obj
                                                                                                                                                                    If currAnn.GetType = 6 Then
                                                                                                                                                                    currAnn.Select3 False, Nothing
                                                                                                                                                                    Set swNote = swDraw.SelectionManager.GetSelectedObject6(1, -1)

If swNote.IsBomBalloon Then
                                                                                                                                                                        currAnn.Layer = sLayerName

Set swTextFormat = currAnn.GetTextFormat(0)
                                                                                                                                                                    'Change desired font format here

swTextFormat.Bold = True
                                                                                                                                                                    swTextFormat.CharHeight = 0.0038
                                                                                                                                                                    swTextFormat.TypeFaceName = "Arial"

currAnn.SetTextFormat 0, False, swTextFormat

End If
                                                                                                                                                                    End If

Next obj
                                                                                                                                                            End If

swDraw.ClearSelection2 True

Set swView = swView.GetNextView
                                                                                                                                                        Wend
                                                                                                                                                    Next i
                                                                                                                                                    swDraw.ActivateSheet vSheetName(0)

MsgBox "All Balloon updated and moved to " & sLayerName

End Sub

Jennifer Farrar

Deepak,

We think we have narrowed down the real problem with the balloon font.

When we use the code:

swTextFormat.Bold = True

swTextFormat.CharHeight = 0.0038

swTextFormat.TypeFaceName = "Arial"

It reads as Arial,Bold when opened in Adobe Illustrator,

but Windows 10 and Adobe Illustrator and Acrobat don't recognize Arial,Bold.

I tried editing to TypeFaceName = "Arial Bold"

but that didn't work either.

There is a problem with printing, embedding, font Arial, Bold

because it doesn't embed and other softwares don't recognize the font.

Is there another way of changing all the balloon text to Arial and Bold

so that Windows 10 and other softwares will recognize the font?

Rick Becker

Deepak,

I ran your macro. Results were unexpected. see before and after below.

Before...

balloons-before.JPG

After...

balloons-after.JPG

Deepak Gupta

Can you attach a sample drawing with some views with balloons to test the macro. Make sure you do a pack and go from the  drawing and create a zip of all referenced documents before uploading else drawing won't show up anything.

Check #18 of Forum Posting on how to attach files while replying to a post.

David Matula

sounds like you need the other program that helps build manuals with SolidWorks.  Than way you can work with the parts as the guys are building this stuff and start your manuals and illustrations.

being that you are working with existing drawings and the SOP for getting the drawings out is not friendly for your duties.  It may be time to have a talks with your local SW expert there at the company about getting some of this stuff changed or look into one of these products

info can be found on the SolidWorks page.

Kevin Chandler

Hello,

As stated above, put all of your balloons onto a "balloon" layer.

Than save as a DWG with layers mapped.

Open the DWG in DraftSight, make the balloon layer the active layer  and freeze (or lock) all other layers.

Now, only your balloons will be worked on.

If you locked the other layers, everything else will be visible, but the following won't be applied to these items.

Create new layers for the balloon pieces: CIRCLE, TEXT, LEADER, etc.

Select everything (Ctrl+A) and then select each entity type in the drop down list at the top of the Properties pane.

The leaders are type LEADER.

Filter for these and in the Properties pane, drop down the layers list and select the new leader layer.

The circles and test are blocks, so Ctrl+A again and select blocks.

Run the EXPLODE command and you'll have circles and text (still on the balloon layer).

Ctrl+A and filter for circles, then move to circle layer.

Ctrl+A and filter for text, move to text layer.

Save your DWG.

I hope this helps,

Kevin C.

PS: If you don't have DraftSight, you can download it for free from SW's parent: DS.

You must register it and you can only DS with an active internet connection.

I misspelled "BALLON" in the SW drawing: