6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2017 1:57 PM by Chika Co

Measure Tool problem

Chika Co

My measure tool stops measuring circle or radius.  It gives me the length instead.  I didn't change any setting.  Please help!  Thank you

• Re: Measure Tool problem
          Peter Brinkhuis

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Kidding aside. I've seen this happen when I thought the edge was a circle, but it turned out to be something slightly different. That was usually caused by a non-flat surface that contained the hole. Do you get the same result if you measure the face of the hole instead of the edge?

Dennis Dohogne

Peter Brinkhuis wrote:

I've seen this happen when I thought the edge was a circle, but it turned out to be something slightly different. That was usually caused by a non-flat surface that contained the hole. Do you get the same result if you measure the face of the hole instead of the edge?

Along the lines of what Pete just said, is this part imported geometry, such as through IGES or STEP?  Often times circular/cylindrical entities have a split line in them from these file formats.

Instead of picking the edge you show do you get any different result when you pick the cylindrical face?

John Pesaturo

Agreed ... The only time I have seen the measurement tool behave that way is when I thought something was on a flat surface but was actually curved in some way. Whenever the measure tool encounters a "Spline" it will read length only, even if it appears to be cylindrical.

Chika Co

Hi Peter,

Thank you.  Some how I had problem with the ruler that day.  I turn off my pc and restart SW and the ruler was back to normal.

Jason Young

it will not be a geometric circle...

it is either incomplete or on a none flat surface.