26 Replies Latest reply on Jan 29, 2018 9:55 AM by Bill Toft

Saving Modified Appearance to Library in Visualize 2018?

Bill Toft

Just starting with 2018 (upgraded from 2017) and working my way around the new interface.

I cannot figure out how to save a modified appearance to my local library.

In 2017 it was obvious:

Viz2017.jpg

The 2018 Help says:

"(Optional.) Add the appearance to the Appearance library: select the appearance in the Appearances tab and under Save Appearance, click To Library.

Regardless of whether the appearance originated in the Appearance library, saving it from the Appearances tab to the Appearance library adds the modified appearance to the library as a new appearance."

But not sure where that is. When I expand each of those sub-menus I can't see that choice.

And when I click on the Export icon, Save Appearance is grayed out.

Thanks!

• Re: Saving Modified Appearance to Library in Visualize 2018?
          Scott Ellery

Hi Bill ,

I am not seeing this issue , I select the appearance I want to save and then hit the export button and get the Save Appearance option

saveappearance.png

This is in Visualize Professional but I don't think that should make a difference , can anyone with Standard Check this to see if they get the same results?

Bastian Krueckeberg

Hi Bill,

Ron Bates made me aware of this thread you created. I checked this control and can tell you that its availability (whether it is enabled or disabled) is depends solely on the appearance selection. If you have at least one appearance selected, this control should be enabled.

I am seeing that you have an appearance selected in your screenshot which is weird. I'd like to ask you to play around with the selection modes in the Main Toolbar and change your selection a couple of times to trigger an update that may be missing in your case.

Bill Toft

Bastian,

I played with the Selection menu. I see that when I am on the Model tab, I can use Model, Part & Group.

But when I go to Appearance Tab, it automatically switches to Appearance.

No matter what selection sequence I tried, no luck.

Rob Rodríguez

+1 on this issue.

It was working fine but I kept crashing like every other time I tried to save an appearance.  After I crashed 4-5 times the option to save an appearance is now grayed out.

Ron Bates

BIzzare!!  Now that your no longer crashing, log files may not help but it doesn't hurt to take a look.

Start a new session, load your project, select a 2 or 3 appearances in the appearance tab.  Exit.

Send along contents of %programdata%\SOLIDWORKS\SOLIDWORKS Visualize 2018\Log

Should map to something like:

C:\ProgramData\SOLIDWORKS\SOLIDWORKS Visualize 2018\Log

Kevin Pymm

Ron,

I don't have an issue with the Save Appearance being greyed out but every every now & then when I try to save an appearance Visualize crashes & I lose everything.....using the Standard version.

Ron Bates

I was able to reproduce this crash.  It's occurring when trying to save an appearance, from a Visualize project which is read-only (or in a read-only folder).

Not sure if this is the same crash Rob was having and/or whether it has anything to do with Rob and Bill having their palette toolbar being disabled... BUT when you attempt to save an appearance, it's really just copying it out of the project file.  So if there are screwy permissions on the project (or the folder the project lives in) I could see possible issues here.

Can anyone confirm you are working on projects in read-only (or more likely, NETWORKED) locations?

Bill Toft

Ron,

I am on Windows 7 and all files are on my PC's E:\SOLIDWORKS Visualize Content folder.

Here are the Security properties allowed (by Group):

Authenticated

Users                SYSTEM             Administrators          Users

Full control                  -                           X                         X                             -

Modify                         X                           X                        X                             -

Read & execute          X                          X                        X                               X

List folder contents     X                          X                        X                               X

Read                           X                          X                         X                               X

Write                           X                          X                         X                               -

Special permissions    -                          -                          -                                -

My PC logon id is set up as Administrator, so I don't think permissions is my problem?

Ron Bates

The crash when saving an appearance is fixed in sp01.

Hopefully this also resolves the problem of the toolbar buttons being disabled.  Rob seemed to indicate he doesn't see the toolbar buttons get disabled until after the crash occurs

Kevin Pymm

Ron Bates wrote:

The crash when saving an appearance is fixed in sp01.

Hopefully this also resolves the problem of the toolbar buttons being disabled. Rob seemed to indicate he doesn't see the toolbar buttons get disabled until after the crash occurs

Ron Bates,

Is this SP already available? I have SW2018 SP0.1 but my Visualize is showing as SP0.

I discovered today that if I save the new appearance to my desktop then I don't get a crash. My Desktop is on the same small SSD drive that Visualize & SolidWorks is installed on but my library files are on a different (bigger) internal drive...not sure if this makes a difference.

Just to let you know, Visualize must of crashed 100 times in the past two days I've been testing this & my "Save Appearance..." option never gets greyed out.

Ron Bates

sp01 Early Visibility should be available by the end of the month.  With full release happening a couple weeks after that.

(There were no changes in sp0.1 for Visualize so the complete sp0.1 release simply included the same sp0 version of Visualize.  That's why you don't see sp0.1 in the help about for Visualize.)

Ron

Bill Toft

I have Visualize Professional 2018 SP1 installed and I still have that problem of "save appearance" not being available.

Today I noticed a new problem. I went to the Cloud library to download a Glass appearance. It said "downloading" and a green check mark was added to the cloud icon.

But when I looked in the Local appearance, under Glass, it was not there.

I checked with Windows Explorer and the SVAP file was not in the Glass folder.

SO WHERE DID THE DOWNLOAD SAVE IT?

I still have Visualize 2017 installed so I did the same thing and the Cloud library showed that Glass appearance as not downloaded, so I downloaded it. And it got saved to the Glass appearance folder. GOOD!

I have both 2017 & 2018 pointing to the same file locations for Visualize Content,

So my work-around will have to be to use 2017 to download all Cloud appearances that I want.

BUT it also means that I will need to use 2017 if I want to create any custom appearance.

In other words, I need to go back to using 2017 until this gets fixed in 2018.

I was using regedit to see if there were any weird setting saved, but I could not find anything related to Visualize. (Like the flag to show an appearance was downloaded from the Cloud, or file locations.) WHERE ARE VISUALIZE SETTINGS SAVED?

Michael Dirisio

I have this same problem appearances won't export/save the option is grayed out.

I do know my visualize library is on a different solid state hard drive than the software.

I wanted my images to render as quick as possible so i put the file location on my empty SSD.

Not sure if this has an effect.

Bill Toft

Different Drives might be worth investigating by the development team.

My laptop C: is also a small SSD and I have SW2014 to SW2017 installed there. But all my data files (SW and Visualize) are on my large E: drive.

Because my C: was running out of space, all new programs (including SW2018 & Visualize 2018) are installed on E: And using same data folders on E:

So Visualize 2017 is installed on C: with Visualize 2018 on E: and both point to same E:\SOLIDWORKS Visualize Content folder.

Visualize 2017 can save appearance and download appearance from the cloud (different drives).

But Visualize 2018 cannot do that (same drive).

I just checked and the C:\ProgramData\SolidWorks folder has sub-folders for SOLIDWORKS 2014 to 2018 and also Visualize 2016 to 2018.

SO my Visualize 2018 really is spread over 2 different drives?!

Is there any way to specify new installs to use E:\ProgramData folder instead of C:\ProgramData?

In other words, use the same drive letter for both Program Files and ProgramData.

Or do I upgrade my 220GB SSD C:\ to say 500GB and not lose any settings (Win 7 Pro on HP ZBook 17 G2 laptop)?

Bill Toft

When in doubt, check the log files . . .

I renamed the current Visualize 2018 log files and opened Visualize 2018 then immediately closed it.

Here are some key excerpts (all other lines looked normal):

- - - - -

Could not load file or assembly 'Bunkspeed.ImportExport.AliasWireImporter.bplugin'

Couldn't find Maya binary path.

Plugin failed: Bunkspeed.ImportExport.MayaImporter.bplugin (version ?????)

- - - -

Using SolidWorks installation at "C:\Program Files\SolidWorks Corp\SolidWorks 2017\SOLIDWORKS\"

Installed SolidWorks version: SldWorks 2017 Application

- - - -

Found material mapping config at E:\Program Files on E\SOLIDWORKS Corp\SolidWorks 2018\SOLIDWORKS Visualize\Plugins\SolidWorks.plugin\materialMapping.config

Found RealView shader definitions at E:\Program Files on E\SOLIDWORKS Corp\SolidWorks 2018\SOLIDWORKS Visualize\Plugins\SolidWorks.plugin\appearancedefinitions.xml

- - - -

Missing plugins is not relevant, but WHY is Visualize 2018 "Finding" SW2017 and not SW2018?

You can see Visualize 2018 is installed on my E:\Program Files on E\ folder. This is the same folder where SW2018 is installed.

Does the Visualize installer only look on C:\ for SolidWorks?

Bill Toft

To test my "two drives is the problem" theory, I deleted programs from C: so that I had enough space to install SW2018.

I did a clean uninstall from E: by selecting the "delete registry" option. Rebooted and installed SW2018 on C:

I opened SW2018, closed it and opened Visualize 2018.

I was surprised to see prior projects in the startup screen and file locations pointed to what I had used for 2018 before the un-install.

After a reboot, I exported an assembly from SW2018 to Visualize.

BUT SAME PROBLEMS. I cannot save an appearance and I cannot use Add to create a new appearance.

.I checked the log file and it is STILL referencing the SW2017 installation!!??

WTF?

Bill Toft

GOOD NEWS (sort of).

Today I removed SW2018 and used the options to clear Registry and Data Folders (yesterday I only selected Registry). I then found any remaining "2018" folders and renamed them to "old" This included Users\Appdata\Local\SW.

After a reboot I reinstalled SW2018.

I found that it created a new set of folders (E:\SW Visualize Content 2018\ so I guess the 2018 installer appends "2018" as a default. (I thought it was somehow seeing my older folders.)

BUT there are NO FILES in any the 8 sub-folders.

When I started Visualize 2018 for the first time, I got the Dark style (I had use Light earlier so I know this was a fresh install).

I then opened the Camaro project and tried working with appearances.

IT NOW WORKS! I can save an appearance and I can create new then save it.

So the fresh re-install was the answer.

BUT WHY DOES THE INSTALLER NOT populate the standard appearances, etc.?

I went to the Cloud and tried downloading an appearance, but same problem as before. It shows it downloading and puts a green check mark, but no file is saved to the Appearances folder. I thought I needed to recreate a matching folder structure, but same problem.

Note that I CAN drag the Cloud appearance onto the project part. Then I can copy it to my local library.

I can also go to the web page and download an appearance to my Appearances folder.

WHERE CAN I GET A ZIP FILE OF ALL THE CLOUD APPEARANCES? One zip per category is fine. Then I can populate my folders.

I just tried environments. Again it says downloading but does not show up. But I can drag it into my project.

So I will need zip files of all default files.

I also did a REPAIR of the Visualize 2018 but it did not add the default appearance, etc. files.

I guess my workaround will be to use Visualize 2017 to download files from the Cloud into my 2018 folders.

HOW DO I DOWNLOAD A FILE WITH THE CHECK MARK THAT SAYS I ALREADY DOWNLOADED IT?

Thanks.

Bill Toft

Oh, and the log file STILL shows SW2017 (and not SW2018)

Bill Toft

SOLVED IT!

Looking at the Options screen for Library Paths, I noticed the button "Reset all settings (requires re-launch)"

Then I renamed all the current Visualize Content folders before restarting Visualize.

Now all the folders are there WITH DEFAULT CONTENT!

I was then able to download Cloud content directly to my Local library. I chose SolidWorks Appearances\Fabric\Carpet\ and these folders do not exist in Local.

I noticed that there were NO green check marks anywhere. Then one was added to the appearance I downloaded.

Also, Visualize added the sub-folders needed.to match Cloud.

So the trick was using "Reset All Settings".

Only thin is the Log file still shows SW2017 (and not SW2018), but that was not the cause of my problem.

NOW I can get back to work!