14 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2017 11:01 AM by Dan Pihlaja

How to get a smooth line ?

Belleville Simon

Hello,

I'm a beginner on SolidWorks (only one week of uses).

I would like to understand how to get a smooth line rather than my current line.

I did this with the function : "extruded cut".

Sans titre2.png

Thanks in advance.

• Re: How to get a smooth line ?
          Steve Calvert

Do you mean vertical line instead of angular?

Steve C

Deepak Gupta

This is correct behavior/graphics display. You can change the image quality setting (move to right side) to improve it.

Belleville Simon

I see a change for the other lines but not for the wanted ones.

Steve Calvert

I think we're not understanding what you're wanting here, Belleville Simon.  Can you explain it better, please?

Steve C

Tony Tieuli

Belleville Simon wrote:

I see a change for the other lines but not for the wanted ones.

This is just an effect of your video settings. If you were to make a drawing from your model the lines would print as smooth lines.

Jim Wilkinson

Those graphics quality settings won't change the pixelation of straight lines, it will only make curved lines smoother looking by increasing the number of lines representing a curve (since all curved lines are simulated by lines on a display). Note that this is only how it displays on the screen. If you print the drawing, the resolution will dependent upon the resolution of your printer, which is usually higher than the resolution of a monitor.

Straight lines look pixelated or staggered like this on a monitor because of the resolution of the monitor (there is no smaller unit to display dots representing a line on the monitor than a pixel). There are a couple of ways to improve their appearance:

1. Increase the resolution of your monitor settings in the operating system so there are more pixels. If you are already at the maximum resolution, then there is nothing that can be done regarding screen resolution (besides replacing the graphics card/monitor with something that supports more pixels).
                        2. Use anti-aliasing to make the lines look smoother. Anti-aliasing is a technique that colors pixels in and around the object slightly differently to make it look smoother. Here is an article that shows the best image I've found to see the difference between an aliased line (like you are seeing) and an antialiased line: GraphicsNotes 2013 -- Section 2: More Java 2D Graphics.  SolidWorks has support for antialiasing in a couple of different ways as described about half way down the page in this help topic. The second option would probably help antialias the lines you are talking about, but it is dependent upon your graphics card supporting full screen anti-aliasing and it being turned on in your graphics card settings. See the help topic for more details:
                          2017 SOLIDWORKS Help - Display Options

I hope this helps,

Jim

Dan Pihlaja

Jim Wilkinson wrote:

Those graphics quality settings won't change the pixelation of straight lines, it will only make curved lines smoother looking by increasing the number of lines representing a curve (since all curved lines are simulated by lines on a display). Note that this is only how it displays on the screen. If you print the drawing, the resolution will dependent upon the resolution of your printer, which is usually higher than the resolution of a monitor.

Straight lines look pixelated or staggered like this on a monitor because of the resolution of the monitor (there is no smaller unit to display dots representing a line on the monitor than a pixel). There are a couple of ways to improve their appearance:

1. Increase the resolution of your monitor settings in the operating system so there are more pixels. If you are already at the maximum resolution, then there is nothing that can be done regarding screen resolution (besides replacing the graphics card/monitor with something that supports more pixels).
                            2. Use anti-aliasing to make the lines look smoother. Anti-aliasing is a technique that colors pixels in and around the object slightly differently to make it look smoother. Here is an article that shows the best image I've found to see the difference between an aliased line (like you are seeing) and an antialiased line: GraphicsNotes 2013 -- Section 2: More Java 2D Graphics. SolidWorks has support for antialiasing in a couple of different ways as described about half way down the page in this help topic. The second option would probably help antialias the lines you are talking about, but it is dependent upon your graphics card supporting full screen anti-aliasing and it being turned on in your graphics card settings. See the help topic for more details:
                              2017 SOLIDWORKS Help - Display Options

I hope this helps,

Jim

Ahh, I learned something new!   Thanks Jim!

Tony Tieuli

Belleville Simon wrote:

Hello,

I'm a beginner on SolidWorks (only one week of uses).

I would like to understand how to get a smooth line rather than my current line.

I did this with the function : "extruded cut".

Sans titre2.png

Thanks in advance.

I'm not really sure what you mean.

Do you want to eliminate the dovetail?

Dan Pihlaja

Run the tutorials.