5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 12, 2018 9:41 PM by Austin Broeker

Slow Movement Issue with 3D Mouse

Austin Broeker

I'm not really sure where else to turn on this one, so I'm taking a stab in the dark here... Do any of you that use a 3D mouse also use apps through Citrix Receiver, or use QAD for your ERP system?

My company uses QAD Enterprise Applications for our ERP. For years now we've been on QAD 2008SE and everything has been fine. Recently, our IT department has begun updating everyone to QAD 2016EE, and I've learned a terrible fact - my 3D mouse (old SpacePilot) does not play well with this new version. The 3D mouse works fine until I start the new QAD application, then if I try switching back to my Solidworks window it moves so slowly that it's basically unusable (see attached "3D mouse_slow" video).

At first, I thought the issue was due to the fact that I have to access the QAD 2016 app remotely using Citrix Receiver (I've heard 3D mice do not do well when used remotely), but I also access the QAD 2008 app the same way and the mouse still works fine after opening that. I've tried updating to the latest driver from 3DConnexion, but my mouse is too old and won't run on the latest - the most recent driver I found that works with my SpacePilot is 3DxWare 10.4.10. The only clues I have as to what might be causing the problem are:

1) This error when I first open the application:

Clicking "No" allows me to logon to QAD but causes the issue with the 3D mouse. Clicking "Yes" allows the mouse to keep working correctly but causes QAD to close and gives me this error:

2) The processes listed in Task Manager before and after loading QAD 2016:

Even after closing the QAD app and Citrix Receiver, and stopping and restarting the 3DxWare driver, the problem still persists. The only way to get back to normal without restarting my computer is to end the Citrix HDX Engine through Task Manager, reopen the QAD app, wait for the "USB Error" message and click "Yes". This seems to clear out the Citrix stuff and reestablish my 3D mouse.

I also checked my settings in 3DxWare to make sure it didn't just bump my speed down, but now I'm at a loss for what else to do - I can't get help from 3DConnexion because my SpacePilot is no longer supported and I can't update to the latest driver, our IT department doesn't know how to help beyond a few general suggestions, I can't find anything regarding this issue online, and I'm too addicted to my 3D mouse to ever quit using it...

Help me Solidworks users,

12/27/2017 - edited post to reduce emphasis on Citrix Receiver.

• Re: 3D Mouse and Citrix Receiver
          Austin Broeker

UPDATE: My 3D mouse isn't working at all now, it appears to be completely off (screen and LEDs are not lit up). I checked Task Manager again and now there are 3 Citrix HDX Engine processes running:

I just tried ending some of the Citrix processes and restarting the 3DConnexion driver - the mouse is at least on now, but it's still running slow. Looks like I broke Citrix though, so now I guess I'll restart my laptop...

Austin Broeker

UPDATE 2: I brought in my personal SpaceNavigator from home and tried updating to the latest driver available from 3DConnexion (10.5.3) - it runs fine on the latest driver and life is good before opening QAD 2016. After starting QAD 2016 I get the same USB error as I got with the SpacePilot:

After clicking "No" I get the same slow-rotation problem in Solidworks with the Navigator. I checked Task Manager again - only one instance of the Citrix HDX Engine this time (but I think that may just be because I don't have QAD 2008 running alongside it):

I don't know if maybe it's a memory issue since the HDX Engine process that starts up with QAD 2016 uses 3-4 times more memory than QAD 2008. Or maybe 2016 is new enough that it recognizes the 3D mouse and is trying to relay the input from it through the remote connection, while 2008 was too old to recognize it and just ignored any input from the mouse.

Either way, I'm hoping that I'll be able to get support from 3DConnexion now since this problem exists on a current product running their latest driver. If anyone out there has any ideas though, please don't hesitate to chime in!

Austin Broeker

UPDATE 3: Several weeks ago, I contacted 3DConnexion's customer service and explained the same details I did in my original post here. They responded that they don't support their products when used in remote environments. I replied and tried to clarify that I am not actually trying to use the 3D mouse in conjunction with Citrix Receiver, I'm just running it in parallel. So they replied and told me to record a log file of the 3D mouse and recreate the problem, then if I can't get any answers from Citrix to send them the log file and they will take a look at it.

I still can't say for certain, but It's looking more and more like the fault lies with the QAD application rather than with the Citrix Receiver. I recently learned that QAD 2016EE (Enterprise Edition) is cloud-based, while QAD 2008SE (Standard Edition) is not - I'm guessing that this is the root cause of the problem. See UPDATE 4

So far, I haven't contacted Citrix or QAD about the issue, but I have reached out to one of our IT guys that is deeply-involved with the QAD application, but since he is spear-heading the upgrade for our entire company I'm (understandably) not at the top of his priority list. Right now, I'm hoping that after the upgrade is complete and everything on that end is operating smoothly that he will be able to look into this. If not, then hopefully he will be willing to contact QAD/Citrix on my behalf, or at least give me our company's account info so that I can contact QAD/Citrix directly. If none of that works, then I guess I'll have to turn back to 3DConnexion and send them the log file so they can hopefully point me in the right direction.

I've also tried looking through 3DConnexion and QAD's user forums, but I didn't find anything even remotely helpful. I guess I've just been spoiled by the helpfulness of the Solidworks forum... I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this eventually gets solved. For now, I'm going to continue saving all of my ERP work for the end of the day so I don't have to go back to the "old-fashioned" way of modeling. If I ever do find a solution, I'll make sure to post it here on the slim chance that someone else runs into this issue at some point.

Austin Broeker

UPDATE 4: I've been informed that this is, in fact, an issue with Citrix and not with QAD. Apparently, QAD 2016EE connects to a different Citrix environment than QAD 2008SE, which is why I'm having this issue with one and not the other.

The baton has been handed to someone else in our IT department, who is currently looking into the problem and will hopefully be more successful at finding a solution than I was. I'm hoping that with any luck my next post on here will include the solution.

In the meantime, I've changed my workaround solution - rather than holding off on all ERP work until the end of the day (sometimes it just can't wait), I close out of Solidworks and stop the 3DxWare driver before loading QAD. Then when I'm done in QAD, I close it, start the 3DxWare driver, and start Solidworks, in that order. It's not elegant, but at least I can get some work done.

• Re: Slow Movement Issue with 3D Mouse
                  Austin Broeker

UPDATE 5: My IT champion has exhausted his means and finally had to admit defeat. He talked to someone at Citrix, but the only thing they were able to offer was this link:

https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX137939?recommended

I haven't had the chance to take a good look at this yet, but it at least shows promise since it references the same error I get. The only problem is it's trying to explain how to force Citrix to recognize the device, and I need to figure out how to get Citrix to completely ignore it.

He also pointed me to this thread on the forum:

3dconnexion not working

I tried the suggestions, but no luck.

While playing around in Device Manager, trying to figure out if there's a way to get Citrix to ignore input from a specific USB port, I found something that 3DxWare uses called the "KMJ emulator." Searching this in Google brought up a bunch of hits that sound potentially helpful, but it was too much to sort through right now.

My only remaining options are to sift through the Citrix support page and the KMJ emulator search results, or to send my log file to 3DConnexion's support team, which I don't know if there's much they can do - it sounds like the problem resides on the Citrix side of things.

I would also like to apologize to anyone who has wasted their time reading through all of this. I realize these "updates" are pretty useless - at this point it's more for my own record-keeping purposes than anything.