25 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2017 6:34 PM by Dan Bovinich

What's in your drawing format?

Kevin Hansen

We have the opportunity to change our drawing formats. I'm wondering what sorts of info do people use in their formats?

We have:

Title, drawing number, part number, sheet number.

Original issue date, drawn by, checked by, approved by.

Revision letter, revision item numbers, revised by, revision date

Scale, unit, standard tolerances.

Company name and confidentiality boilerplate.

We will be taking our formats to a global standard for our company, so we'll have to add the projection standard (first or third angle).

What about you?

• Re: What's in your drawing format?
          Redecos Technologies

Hi,

Revision zone specification with alpha-numeric ruler location could be thought of. We used to mention the CAD platform,and file path for the reference, the department could be added, the drawing release level (like for quotation, for production etc) can be added. Hope you missed to mention the revision detail column. We used to include the general tolerance chart,  and general notes like details of sharp corner breaking, finish etc. Obviously you have to include the material, finish, quantity etc.

Sreeraj

REDECOS TECHNOLOGIES.

Glenn Schroeder

Here's my title block.  All the information in the red box is linked to Drawing Properties.  Since almost all my Drawings reference a mixture of Assemblies and Parts I don't have any title block notes linked to model properties.  I do of course have properties in my Parts that are used in Drawings, but those are used in notes that are linked to individual drawing views.

John Stoltzfus

Here I use multiple sheet drawings with 6 to 8 cover sheets that cover ECR & ECN logs, boms, project notes and new product development notes, within all the different drawings etc, we have 230 possible custom properties available to use. 

Chris Saller

We removed all the clutter of zones and triangles. All rev changes are spelled out on the ECN, the rev block references the ECN number.

The drawing format follows ASME Y14.1.

Glenn Schroeder

I don't have a revision block on my drawings.  They have a big pink note in the sheet format that stretches from corner to corner on early drafts.  When the drawing is approved I change the sheet format to one without that note (and let me take the time for one more big thank you to whoever was responsible for making it possible for me to do that for all sheets in one operation), and I attach a Word document form to it that the Engineer signs.  Any revisions after that are detailed on that form.  That saves room on the drawing, and the revision history isn't important for us anyway as long as the correct drawing is used in the test report that goes to the client.

Dan Pihlaja

You know, Glenn, you could, instead of changing the entire sheet format, just add the a new custom property to your Custom Property Tab Builder and call it "Watermark".  Give it a drop down menu with different watermarks and then add a note to your Sheet format that is linked to this custom property.

Mine with the Watermark applied:

And with it as blank:

All I have to do is change that drop down and hit apply and it applies the watermark (I learned this from John).

Then, if I want the watermark to go away, then I just make the cell blank and hit apply.

Comes out like this on the PDF:

Of course, you don't have to have a pattern of notes like I have on mine....you could have one big note if you wanted.

Glenn Schroeder

Dan Pihlaja wrote:

You know, Glenn, you could, instead of changing the entire sheet format, just add the a new custom property to your Custom Property Tab Builder and call it "Watermark". Give it a drop down menu with different watermarks and then add a note to your Sheet format that is linked to this custom property.

Mine with the Watermark applied:

And with it as blank:

All I have to do is change that drop down and hit apply and it applies the watermark (I learned this from John).

Then, if I want the watermark to go away, then I just make the cell blank and hit apply.

Dan,

I know this will seem like sacrilege to some folks, but I've looked at the Property Tab Builder several times and couldn't figure out where I'd use the drop-downs (at least not until now), so I just can't see where using it would make my life easier.  If someone can explain to me why I should change my mind I'm all ears.

However, I can see where linking that note to a custom property might come in handy.  I could add it to my drawing template, and then enter a blank space when the drawing is approved, which would allow me to reduce the number of sheet formats.  Thank you.

Glenn

Chris Saller

I use the Property Tab Builder with drop downs in the areas of:

-revisions

-drawn by

-approved by

-date

I have separate text files with revisions and names, the date pulls from the PC date.

Glenn Schroeder

Chris Saller wrote:

I use the Property Tab Builder with drop downs in the areas of:

-revisions

-drawn by

-approved by

-date

I have separate text files with revisions and names, the date pulls from the PC date.

Chris,

I appreciate the reply, but I handle revisions in a Word document, and while "drawn by" is in my custom properties I'm pretty much the only user so I never have to change it, approval is also on the Word document, and we have to use a specific format for the date (2017-11-02) so I have to enter it manually anyway.

Dan Pihlaja

The best part about the property tab builder (in my opinion) is the ability to CREATE custom properties as well as assign them.

Let's say that you have two different Drawing templates for a B size sheet.

One has Custom properties A, B and C in it.

In your drawing format, you have notes that are linked to Custom properties A, B and C

The 2nd Template has custom properties D, E and F in it.

You have a drawing format for that template you link notes to Custom Properties D, E and F.

You could, however, create just one drawing format that has 6 notes in it....1 to each, A, B, C, D, E, and F.

Then have 2 templates that have the custom properties in them. (A B C and D E F)

However, using the Custom Property Tab builder you can eliminate the need to the 2 templates.

Have 1 drawing format linked to properties A thru F.

Have 1 template

Have 2 Custom Property Tab Builder files (one with A B C and one with D E F).  Just pick which one to apply and it will CREATE the Custom properties in that file, linking them to the proper notes.

The nicest thing about the drop down menus is the ability no to spell things wrong.

As an example, in my part custom property tab builder file, I have a Vendor drop down menu.  In that drop down I have it linked to a text file with our most likely vendors (in addition, I have the "Allow custom values" checked so that, if I missed one, the user can add it).

Now, when I create a part (using my blank template, which has NO custom properties assigned to it when I create it):

I can just select the vendor (or start typing their name) and it just pops up.

Then when I click Apply, the custom property is created for the part and filled in with the proper name

It really helps make sure that I don't spell things wrong and takes a level of error out of the equation.

John Stoltzfus

Doing redundant typing creates another platform for typos...   Also it is very easy just as easy or maybe even quicker to change out a drawing format..

Dan Pihlaja

John Stoltzfus wrote:

Doing redundant typing creates another platform for typos... Also it is very easy just as easy or maybe even quicker to change out a drawing format..

I am not doing redundant typing....that is the whole point to the drop down menu.

John Stoltzfus

Dan Pihlaja

I totally understand Dan, I know how you're doing it, I see I haven't made it clear, I was just trying to get a general comment to people that don't use CPTB.  I was just thinking, did you try radio buttons to turn the watermarks off or on?

Dan Pihlaja

John Stoltzfus wrote:

Dan Pihlaja

I totally understand Dan, I know how you're doing it, I see I haven't made it clear, I was just trying to get a general comment to people that don't use CPTB. I was just thinking, did you try radio buttons to turn the watermarks off or on?

I am not sure that you can do that.  You can't use a radio button to determine the value of a custom property (except the specific property that the radio button is tied to).

You can however use the radio button to show and hide other properties in the Properties tab, but that doesn't change the value.

I know that tying the watermark custom property to the actual radio button would be the way to go, but in SW 2015, you only have 3 choices for radio buttons (they expanded it to more in later versions).  I want more than 3 choices and I would also like the option for the user to add their own watermark to the drawing if they need to.

Daen Hendrickson

Dan Pihlaja wrote:

You know, Glenn, you could, instead of changing the entire sheet format, just add the a new custom property to your Custom Property Tab Builder and call it "Watermark". Give it a drop down menu with different watermarks and then add a note to your Sheet format that is linked to this custom property.

I have mine set up very similarly to Dan Pihlaja - watermark linked to a custom property driven by the property tab with a drop-down list. One of the choices in the list is a blank. ADDITIONALLY, I use a modified version of Matthew Lorono's Revision Block Control macro. When I add my first revision (Revision A: Released) the macro takes care of setting the watermark custom property to blank. So the watermark is easily editable from properties, quickly changed in the Property Tab, and when I release neither is necessary...

Daen

Dan Bovinich

Dan, the "Watermark" in the custom property tab builder (and the other things) is exactly how I do it.

I also made a Note favorite with the "watermark" custom property for the older drawings.

Dan

Chris Saller

I do it very similar to Dan's explanation.

Anna Wood

The least amount of information.  Only what is absolutely required and is not found anywhere else.....

Having extra info because it will be cool, but not really needed, just makes for non-value added work and a real chance of having wrong/conflicting information on your drawings/documents.

Daen Hendrickson

Some additional things we have on our drawing template that may or may not apply:

Pre-Defined Views

Standard Note (with links to custom properties)

Standard "Boiler Plate" statements

Cage Code (if you are involved in government / military contracting)

Watermark

Default Custom Properties with default data pre-filled

Standard set of layers with various entity types assigned to those layers

ALL of the items in the title block (including the static text items such as the standard boiler plate statement) are linked to custom properties. I can count on one hand the times in a year I need to edit my sheet format. The only hard-coded text are the zone identifiers and the titleblock heading texts (Description:, Project:, Drawn By:, Sheet       of      , etc.). And if it is linked to a custom property, it is also found in the Property Tab in drop-down lists. Even the static text items have the choice between blank and the text. Makes it really quick to delete those the few times it is called for. Within the Property Tab, static items such as this are in a collapsed section by default.

Daen

Arthur McRae

company name, water mark, file location,  file name, title, sheet name, sheet number, revision, propriety text.... etc