8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2017 3:28 PM by Bill Toft

How to Transition / Fade an appearance?

Bill Toft

Using SW2018 Pro & VIZ2018 Pro to animate a pipe joint that expands until it hits retaining plates (straight forward).

I then want to show the pressure increasing on the retaining washers & nuts by changing their colors from silver to red (again straight forward).

Now the tricky part:

I want to show the pressure on the threaded rod as being higher at the ends and less in the middle. So the red matches the fasteners at the ends but fades to a light red near re center (or even stays silver). Similarly I would like to show the pointed ends of the triangle supports red and fading to silver at the wide end.

So my question: Is it possible to "fade" an appearance in Visualize from one end of a part to another?

I am thinking I will need to have a duplicate of each part (one silver, one red) and change the transparency of each over time, But then I would have to split each part into thirds (or more), so that I can have different colors at each end of the part.

I look forward to hearing from the experts!

• Re: How to Transition / Fade an appearance?
          Rich Fagioli

I wouldn't fade stress to reduce towards the center of your threaded rod. I'm pretty sure tensile forces are uniformly applied along its entire length. However, if that joint expands, you'll certainly see significant inward bending moments on those brackets! Can't wait to see your animation!

(...my $0.02)

Brian Hillner

Hi Bill,

RMB on the appearance thumbnail you want to animate to set the first keyframe:

You can fade an appearance's color, however that's a liner color change across the color spectrum. So you can't fade from Red to Blue without fading through yellow/green.

That said, you can however fade the saturation of an appearance's color - to fade from red to silver as you want. This effect is pretty cool.

Each part that you want to fade individually needs to be a separate part in Visualize. So you can either use the Part Splitting tool or as you said. Or you can duplicate the parts (copy/paste group and then delete the unwanted parts) and fade the opacity of them both oppositely, to get the transition you're looking for.

Hope this helps!

Brian

Ron Bates

I think for the rod, you'll need to use an alpha map texture on an appearance, in concert with a multi-layer apperance.  Hard to explain/step through.  I'll try to put together a quick example and post here.

Ron Bates

Something like this for the threaded rod..???

But now, can we animate just the alpha texture (maybe brightness channel) on the red one?

Thereby animating the red, on the ends, becoming red as the bolts themselves do...  I'll give a quick try and post the sample project anyhow so you can see how the multi-layer material is authored.

Untitled Project.jpg

Bill Toft

Hi Ron,

What's the emoji for drooling in anticipation?

Ron Bates

Unfortunately, we can't yet animate the textures directly. 

Which means you have to resort to having 2 copies of the geometry overlapping.

Then animate their visibility and opacity properties...and this ultimately results in some flashing that is kind of crappy.

To do it nicely, you'd have to render each version out (not necessarily all frames though...depends on the rest of the animation), perhaps a 3rd one with a mask, and then blend the two versions correctly (ie fading nicely between them) in post...like in After Effects.

I attached the video of the crappy animating of the "2-parts-opacity-visibility" trick.

I also attached the (2018) project if you want to see how that multi-material is set up.

NOTE 1: It's hard to see there's an alpha texture on the red version, but there is.  It fades from white in the middle to transparent at the top and bottom.  Click it and then click the button to Export it to save a local copy if you like.

NOTE 2: This is set up for the animation.  So scrub the timeline to the end to see the instance of the model that has the multi-layer appearance on it and how it's set up.