9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2017 7:21 PM by Habib Ghalamkari

What do guys at Solidworks are really doing?

Habib Ghalamkari

Starting from SW2017, all of a sudden SW locked the x-axis of Linear Sketch Pattern without any description (as far as I know) anywhere and how it can be useful to be locked.

This is a discussion if you're interested.SW 2017 Linear Sketch Pattern

Nobody actually knew why it was locked and what was the benefits.

Several days ago we upgraded to 2018 and I noticed that a checkbox is added to Sketch Linear Pattern to un-fix X-Axis.

2017-11-03_15-03-30.png

Again, I didn't noticed any declaration on this change anywhere.

No matter how many times I un-tick this option, the next time it's ticked again.

To be true I can't understand what they are doing. Why all of a sudden they decide to change something that has been working for ages,

And then a version (Or two) later they realize it was a mistake and go back to where they were.

I don't care why this option is added.....Maybe some users need this option,

I simply can't understand why the software can't remember user's last choice? If they accept that some users need it and some don't, why I have to tick it off each time I use it? Why It can't remember my last choice?

Why that spacing is always 10? Why I have to keep changing it on every use?

Is it that hard for a software like SW to remember user's last selection?

• Re: What do guys at Solidworks are really doing?
          Redecos Technologies

It is because of the issue pertaining it to keep unchecked. May be you might have noticed, the constraints wont apply during the pattern formation earlier and we have to lock/fix it manually to avoid the issues. To me this feels to be the right choice to keep it checked for most of the time and those who don't want specifically can override.. Isn't it a good choice??

Habib Ghalamkari

Redecos Technologies wrote:

To me this feels to be the right choice to keep it checked for most of the time and those who don't want specifically can override.. Isn't it a good choice??

that's the whole point. To you it feels the right choice. For others may not be. One of the privileges of linear pattern (for us) is that we can grab the point and drag it to wherever we want. Change the angle, Make it parallel to an edge, etc. As long as it's blue you know it's not fully defined.

If you work only horizontally, it may be helpful for you. what about others that mostly work with non-horizontal patterns?

If the software remember user's last choice, you could leave it checked and we would left it unchecked. Why are they try to decide for us?

Tony Tieuli

Habib Ghalamkari wrote:

Redecos Technologies wrote:

To me this feels to be the right choice to keep it checked for most of the time and those who don't want specifically can override.. Isn't it a good choice??

that's the whole point. To you it feels the right choice. For others may not be. One of the privileges of linear pattern (for us) is that we can grab the point and drag it to wherever we want. Change the angle, Make it parallel to an edge, etc. As long as it's blue you know it's not fully defined.

If you work only horizontally, it may be helpful for you. what about others that mostly work with non-horizontal patterns?

If the software remember user's last choice, you could leave it checked and we would left it unchecked. Why are they try to decide for us?

I have to agree with Habib Ghalamkari on this one. Leave the choice up to us! If you want the option to be checked leave it that way and have the software remember your choice. Somebody else may prefer to leave it unchecked and the software should remember that as well. I don't care if it is checked or unchecked "Out of the box", I only care that the software remember MY preference.

Aaron Torberg

Habib Ghalamkari wrote:

I agree with the software remembering your last choice, that would be nice.  As far as the value always being 10, it does remember the last value you placed in this box for each new pattern, but the template you start with probably has never had it changed from 10.  If you create two pattern in the same part you will see what I mean.

Habib Ghalamkari

Aaron Torberg wrote:

Habib Ghalamkari wrote:

I agree with the software remembering your last choice, that would be nice. As far as the value always being 10, it does remember the last value you placed in this box for each new pattern, but the template you start with probably has never had it changed from 10. If you create two pattern in the same part you will see what I mean.

I'm not at my desk now. I'll test it as soon as I'm back to work.

But as far as I remember, it always starts from 10 no matter how many patterns I have in one part.

Even if I change the template and make it some how to start with let's say 20. it's not an improvement. We need it to remember us.

Because we work on different projects with different situations.

As I said I will test it once again. and will write back.