18 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2017 11:41 PM by Kameron Smith

Please use the Quote Previous Message Functionality

Jim Wilkinson

Hi all forum users,

I'd like to respectfully ask that when replying to posts in the forum, that you use the Quote Previous Message functionality as often as possible. I'm guilty of not using it as well, but I am now trying to use it as often as possible.

This option is shown in the image below and will add the entire message that you are replying to in a gray box.

quote.png

You can then delete portions of the quoted message if you are only replying to a specific part of the message. You can also use the quote button multiple times if you want to separate answers to different portions of the original message into separate quotes.

Using the quote functionality helps in many ways:

• The quoting show in notifications from the forum so the recipient doesn't need to access the forum itself to figure out the context of the reply.
      • When a forum thread gets to be multiple pages, it can no longer shows the indented threading, so visualizing what someone is responding to gets harder even on the same page, let alone on another page.
      • Many threads now seem to branch into multiple topics (or are intentionally started to consist of multiple topics) so it is nearly impossible to tell what someone is responding to without clicking on the "(in response to User Name)" link in the response header and even then it is sometimes hard to find it on the page it jumps back to (or the person replying mistakenly picked the wrong comment to reply to).

Thanks for helping contribute to making the forums easier to understand/navigate!

Thanks,

Jim

• Re: Please use the Quote Previous Message Functionality
          Dan Pihlaja

Jim Wilkinson wrote:

Hi all forum users,

I'd like to respectfully ask that when replying to posts in the forum, that you use the Quote Previous Message functionality as often as possible.

Agree.  Thank you for posting this!

Glenn Schroeder

Jim Wilkinson wrote:

Hi all forum users,

I'd like to respectfully ask that when replying to posts in the forum, that you use the Quote Previous Message functionality as often as possible.

No problem.  I have noticed an issue lately when the alphabet code will sometimes show instead of the user name.  Do you know what's going on with that, or is that a question for Richard Doyle?

Dan Pihlaja

Glenn Schroeder wrote:

Jim Wilkinson wrote:

Hi all forum users,

No problem. I have noticed an issue lately when the alphabet code will sometimes show instead of the user name. Do you know what's going on with that, or is that a question for Richard Doyle?

1-NVO49A wrote:

Jim Wilkinson wrote:

Hi all forum users,

No problem. I have noticed an issue lately when the alphabet code will sometimes show instead of the user name. Do you know what's going on with that, or is that a question for Richard Doyle?

When you reply from your inbox, the quote works.  But when you open the thread separately, then it doesn't.

Glenn Schroeder

Dan Pihlaja wrote:

Glenn Schroeder wrote:

Jim Wilkinson wrote:

Hi all forum users,

When you reply from your inbox, the quote works. But when you open the thread separately, then it doesn't.

So apparently it also works when using the Quote button in the Discussion itself instead of the Inbox, but that button goes away when I click "Use advanced editor".  At least that's how it's working for me with Explorer.  Other browsers might behave differently?

Dan Pihlaja

Glenn Schroeder  wrote:

Dan Pihlaja wrote:

Glenn Schroeder wrote:

Jim Wilkinson wrote:

Hi all forum users,

When you reply from your inbox, the quote works. But when you open the thread separately, then it doesn't.

So apparently it also works when using the Quote button in the Discussion itself instead of the Inbox, but that button goes away when I click "Use advanced editor". At least that's how it's working for me with Explorer. Other browsers might behave differently?

It isn't going away.....just use the little >> and you will see "Quote" under it.

Deepak Gupta

Love it and use it when I feel the need

David Nelson

Just Noticed a bunch of posts I replied to that my reply was added at the end.  Really wish I had seen this post 1st.  Cause My posts make no sense unless you page back to the correct one and if that person had made a few posts that could be very hard.

John Stoltzfus

Jim Wilkinson  wrote:

• The quoting show in notifications from the forum so the recipient doesn't need to access the forum itself to figure out the context of the reply.
                        • When a forum thread gets to be multiple pages, it can no longer shows the indented threading, so visualizing what someone is responding to gets harder even on the same page, let alone on another page.
                        • Many threads now seem to branch into multiple topics (or are intentionally started to consist of multiple topics) so it is nearly impossible to tell what someone is responding to without clicking on the "(in response to User Name)" link in the response header and even then it is sometimes hard to find it on the page it jumps back to (or the person replying mistakenly picked the wrong comment to reply to).

Thanks for helping contribute to making the forums easier to understand/navigate!

Thanks,

Jim

Thanks for making it clear, like Deepak Gupta - I also use it  when needed...  The other thing I would like to add on to this post is... Just like this topic you should bump it once in a while, after 3 to 4 months people forget and new people come on board and all is forgotten, keep this one up Jim...

Alex Lachance

Jim Wilkinson a écrit:

Hi all forum users,

I'd like to respectfully ask that when replying to posts in the forum, that you use the Quote Previous Message functionality as often as possible. I'm guilty of not using it as well, but I am now trying to use it as often as possible.

This option is shown in the image below and will add the entire message that you are replying to in a gray box.

quote.png

You can then delete portions of the quoted message if you are only replying to a specific part of the message. You can also use the quote button multiple times if you want to separate answers to different portions of the original message into separate quotes.

Thanks,

Jim

Hey Jim,

Would it be possible to build in a ''QUOTE'' button next to the reply button so that these are inserted by default when we start our reply?

Sort of like this, where I wrote ''Citer'' would be where ''QUOTE'' would be.

Kameron Smith

Jim Wilkinson wrote:

Good point, Jim! I typically avoid longer threads due to the lack of context. It's like someone putting you on speaker phone when they're in a crowded bar...

1 person found this helpful